What's new

Another newbie check-in

Hi – I just registered here, an eager newbie. I'm not yet familiar with the various forum categories here, so if this isn't the right place for my questions, please guide me there.
  • I’ve never used a straight razor, but I’m interested in learning. I have wet shaved for decades. About 2 years ago I abandoned canned shave cream for shaving soap & shaving brush. I’ve tried & liked 3 different shaving soaps – my favorite so far is Poraso Red. I confident that I can prep my face with soap & brush, but I want to say good bye to the Gillette Mach 3 blades I've been using.

• I read SR’s PDF, Traditional Straight Razor Shaving Instructions for Beginners. It’s helpful, especially the parts about honing & stropping. I think I’m ready to take on straight razors.

• FWIW, I have a mustache and don’t shave my upper lip.

• I’m left handed. Does that matter when selecting a standard type straight razor?

• I think I want a traditional hollow ground ⅝" blade with a rounded tip. What other features should I consider?

• Brands? I did read the Wiki on Good and Bad Straight Razor Brands. What price is a good starting point for my first straight razor? I’d rather buy one good tool, rather than have a collection of cheap tools that were rookie shopping errors. Sometimes I actually do that. I guess that rules out a cheap Chinese straight razor.

Thanks for any & all advice.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Welcome! Thanks for sharing a little about yourself and your interest in trying SR shaving. I highly encourage you to explore further. I have found it to be an exceptional way to shave and it furthered my interests in other related areas regarding maintenance and very basic restoration. The style of razor you are considering would be a good first choice and readily available. Lots of great information and support here, good luck on your journey and have fun along the way!

Everyone – Thanks for the welcome.

In my original post, I forgot to ask is there a list of places where I might send a new straight razor for honing? I live in Maryland, not far from Washington.

Welcome to B&B.
  • I’m left handed. Does that matter when selecting a standard type straight razor?

• I think I want a traditional hollow ground ⅝" blade with a rounded tip. What other features should I consider?
Have a look at the Shave Wiki for helpful tips; Interactive Guide to Straight Razor Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Interactive_Guide_to_Straight_Razor_Shaving
It is better if you can use both hands when using a straight razor, especially when face shaving.
A 5/8" hollow ground razor is a good start but find a supplier who will provide a shave ready straight razor. I am in the UK so cannot advise on vendors in the USA.

Have a look at the Shave Wiki for helpful tips; Interactive Guide to Straight Razor Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Interactive_Guide_to_Straight_Razor_Shaving
It is better if you can use both hands when using a straight razor, especially when face shaving.
I just read that part about using both hands. I'll try it, but after many years of shaving only with my left hand, it could feel quite weird.

That does indirectly answer my other question … that nothing about straight razors prevents you from using it with either hand. There is no such thing as a left-handed straight razor. Good to know. A life-time of being a lefty has primed me to ask such questions.

I also found that list of honers. There are 6 in the USA.

I've never used a straight razor, so I can't offer anything there. But, I did want to say "welcome"
I haven't used one either, yet. Thanks for the welcome.

Were you a submariner? Many years ago, in the early 1970s, I spent 4 years in the US Navy, listening to Soviet subs on the radio. It was all highly classified … hush hush … don't tell anyone … or we'll take your grandmother hostage. It was so boring, except on very rare occasions, that guys who did that work never wanted to talk about it anyway. That mission was shut down after the Soviet Union fell apart.

I haven't used one either, yet. Thanks for the welcome.

Were you a submariner? Many years ago, in the early 1970s, I spent 4 years in the US Navy, listening to Soviet subs on the radio. It was all highly classified … hush hush … don't tell anyone … or we'll take your grandmother hostage. It was so boring, except on very rare occasions, that guys who did that work never wanted to talk about it anyway. That mission was shut down after the Soviet Union fell apart.
Indeed, I was. Career Navy 1970-1990. Was where I first learned to wet shave :) Anyway, spent most of my career onboard subs, chasing and/or avoiding our Russian counterparts. I could tell you more about it, but then I'd have to kill you. :).

Indeed, I was. Career Navy 1970-1990. Was where I first learned to wet shave :) Anyway, spent most of my career onboard subs, chasing and/or avoiding our Russian counterparts. I could tell you more about it, but then I'd have to kill you. :).
Interesting. I was in the Navy 1971-75. I was a Communications Technician, T Branch (CTT), becoming 2nd class (CTT2, E5) during my last year. We were all in what was called the Naval Security Group. The submarine service was well known to be closed mouthed, but hardly anyone knew anything about the NSG. We were part of the Navy's huge anti-sub warfare effort.

After schools in Pensacola, FL (where I learned to wet shave), I spent all my time on Air Force stations, in southern Italy (San Vito dei Normani Air Station), and Elemendorf AFB in Anchorage, Alaska. I loved it in Alaska. No one in the Air Force knew whether I was in uniform or not, or what rank I was. They called me Water Sargent – I never argued with them.

I once met a Sonar Chief who had been Medevac'ed off a surfaced sub somewhere in the North Pacific, within helicopter range of Anchorage. He had a bleeding ulcer and needed emergency surgery. For a few weeks after he got out of the hospital, I was his only friend. He was very smart but intense, and he was devastated that his career on boats was probably over. He probably got orders to Navy Sonar School as an instructor.

After I got out, I couldn't travel to any designated trouble spot country for the next 5 years.

Here's where I worked in Alaska. That circular antenna array was about 100 yards diameter. Too big for a ship. There were a dozen or so of these antennas spread out around the Pacific and Atlantic. We could hear anything sent by short wave radio on the planet, and we could get a bearing within 1-2°. With 2 or more bearings from different locations, we could fix a signal to well within 100,000 square miles of ocean. That sounds big, but a P3 could easily cover a 300×300 mile patch of ocean quickly.

Attachments

• 1695246151748.png
    1695246151748.png
    827.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
@Rich S Yes, we (submariners) were well aware of the CTs out there, not to mention the P3 force. Always a friendly rivalry towards the anti-sub groups, but respect was there.

I was in engineering onboard the boats. Advanced through the ranks to MMCM(SS). SSBN 644, SSBN/SSN 611, and SSBN 634.

@Rich S Yes, we (submariners) were well aware of the CTs out there, not to mention the P3 force. Always a friendly rivalry towards the anti-sub groups, but respect was there.
Good to know that. We were so isolated and compartmentalized that I never knew where we stood in the big picture. We only communicated with other CTs in our network.
Thanks for your replies. Now I'll go back to wondering about straight razors :straight:.

Top Bottom