What's new

Long Time DE Shaver Needs New Blades - Sharp and Smooth

For today's shave I decided to try Wilkinson Sword (Germany) blades. Note there are some other types of Wilkinson blades out there and I cannot say how those compare.

Years ago I really liked the UK-made Wilkinsons but I would guess these are a completely different blade made to a different set of specs. They do cut decently and are decently smooth, but in terms of comfort they seem noticeably behind Tatra or Indian-made Gillette Super Platinums. As such I am going to eliminate this blade from further consideration. Again, not a bad blade, just kind of an average blade for me personally.

SOTD:

• EJ DE89L
  • Muhle STF "classic large" brush
  • Wilkinson Sword (Germany) blade
  • Taylor (TOBS) Sandalwood Shaving Stick
  • HBG Sandalwood AS

Current summary:
  • Feather (used two, top contender)
  • Tatra Platinum (used two, will try another)
  • Kai - ELIMINATED
  • 7 O'clock Super Platinum (India) (will try another)
  • Wilkinson Sword (Germany) - ELIMINATED
  • Personna Platinum (Germany) - ELIMINATED
  • Bolzano (Egypt) - ELIMINATED
  • Derby Premium - ELIMINATED
  • BIC Chrome Platinum - ELIMINATED
  • Personna Med Prep (USA) - ELIMINATED

So that leaves Feather, Tatra Platinum, and 7OC Super Platinum (India) as contenders. I will likely try one more Tatra and one more 7OC SP before deciding whether or not to stock up on one or both of those. I've got a pack of 100 Feathers stocked for now.

I probably won't add any more blades to the list for now as I'm kinda tired of trying blades. Maybe down the line I will try some others, but this is it for now.

I have been getting personal-best type shaves using the Tatra Platinum in a RazoRock Game Changer .84-P, while doing especially good prep in advance.

I can't discount the contributions of "the prep" to the great results--a big factor to be sure--but the razor/blade combination is top-notch for me.

Bill

I'm changing the soaps, but I'm otherwise going to let the Tatra Premium (3) and RazoRock Game Changer .84-P combination (along with extra attention to prep) ride.

I want to simulate what the Tatra Platinum would feel like as a "daily driver."

I have a treasure trove of other choices. A stockpile.

But I'm liking these. Smooth. Sharp, but not irritatingly sharp. Still figuring out the "duration" on these. I will press on with this blade tomorrow.

Bill

Tatra/Tiger (same blade, different label, same manufacturer) Platinum blades are fantastic.

They might end up replacing my Voskhods when they run out. Many people are in the same boat.

Last edited:
For today's shave I decided to use a second Gillette Super Platinum (India) out of the package. I don't reuse DE blades so this a brand new blade.

My impression of this blade remains the same as before. Very good marks all around and reminds me the most of the Russian Gillette blades out of all the blades I have tried. I daresay these Indian blades are smoother feeling than the last couple of 100 packs of Sharp Edges I received.

I will likely order at least 100 of these blades in the near future.

SOTD:

• EJ DE89L
  • Gillette Super Platinum (India) blade
  • Nanny's Rasage Traditionnel soap
  • Razorock Plissoft Brush
  • Caldey Abbey Aftershave

Attachments

• sotd 11-8-23.jpg
    sotd 11-8-23.jpg
    944.8 KB · Views: 12
Tatra/Tiger (same blade, different label, same manufacturer) Platinum blades are fantastic.

They might end up replacing my Voskhods when they run out. Many people are in the same boat.

It is funny to me, but back in early 2011 I was pretty active here on B&B. At that time a member here (who ultimately ended up becoming a Voshkod dealer) found a source for for what were a virtually unknown brand of blades. He sent me (and a few other here) samples to try for our feedback, and to see if our impressions matched his. I like them immediately.

Since then, I have had Voshkods as a very regular item in my rotation. For decades they have been my "everyday" blade, splitting time with Feathers (when I'm in that mood) and with other quality Russian blades (especially Gillette variants). I don't keep track (exactly), but I'd bet Voshkods have been my most used blade over the past dozen years, with Feathers in close proximity.

It has never been my estimation that the Voshkods were "the best blade in the world," or anything like that. I just always liked them on my face. They feel secure, dependable, smooth, and forgivingly sharp. And at $7.50 for 100 (old pricing) these were a "no-brainer" for me out of pure cost and utility.

Now, I'm getting a bit of that "déjà vu all over again" feeling (and apologies to Yogi Berra) with these Tatra Platinums.

These Tatra (and Tiger) Platinums blades have some strong similarities to the Voshkods, in my estimation. They even have wax spots (LOL) and a similar PTFE/Teflon coating.

Perhaps Tatra/Tiger Platinums are somewhat less obscure today than Voshkods were in early 2011 (?), but they still seem like a "discovery" blade at this juncture.

I find it interesting that you, (and others), and I who enjoyed using Voshkods are also finding favor with the Tatra/Tiger Platinums.

Time to go try a forth shave on the same Tatra Premium I've been using this week. I've yet to test the longevity of these. Better get to it.

Bill

Quick follow up. The combination of a Tatra Platinum (4) in a RR Game Changer .84-P has given me another in a series of truly superlative shaves.

Some urgent matters that demanded my attention this morning meant I lost the optimal post-shower window that I've been trying to leverage into next-level prep, but I'm still feeling both ultra-smooth and irritation free.

Not much (nothing!) to complain about here.

One note, I get so much auditory feedback from the GC/Tatra Platinum combo, that (not for the first time) when I "hear it" on my initial WTG strokes, I wonder "is this thing getting tuggy?" Nope. It is just a bit loud.

I think I will let the blade combo ride.

Bill

They feel secure, dependable, smooth, and forgivingly sharp. And at $7.50 for 100 (old pricing) these were a "no-brainer" for me out of pure cost and utility.
So far, I don't like Feather because they feel scratchy and violent to my face.

But, just as you said, Voskhods feel smooth and forgivingly sharp. They can cut, but not without serious user error.

So far, I don't like Feather because they feel scratchy and violent to my face.

But, just as you said, Voskhods feel smooth and forgivingly sharp. They can cut, but not without serious user error.

Feathers are a mixed experience for me (and always have been). I love the sharpness, but they are not the smoothest or most forgiving blades on the planet for my face.

I make an effort to load Feathers when I'm feeling "sharp" myself. When I prep well, use the right razor and use my best skill-sets, I get great shaves from a Feather. Sport shaving.

But if those pre-conditions are not met, nicks, weepers, and irritation can follow.

Sometime I just want an "easy" blade, w/o having to sacrifice smoothness.

Bill

It has been a long time since I used Astra. And, I don't have bad memories of it.

So far, if you put a gun to my head and asked me to pick a blade for the rest of my life, I'd say Voskhod, Astra SP (green), or Tiger/Tatra Platinum.

Astra SP has been moved to India and it will be a while before I can judge quality.

Tiger/Tatra is the only brand being made in a stable geopolitical situation (Czechia).

Voskhod, I have 200 blades of it, so, hopefully, by the time I'm done, the blades will be back.

I'm starting to consider Perma-Sharp. But, they're Made-in-Russia too, so, a problem again.

It has been a long time since I used Astra. And, I don't have bad memories of it.

So far, if you put a gun to my head and asked me to pick a blade for the rest of my life, I'd say Voskhod, Astra SP (green), or Tiger/Tatra Platinum.

Astra SP has been moved to India and it will be a while before I can judge quality.

Tiger/Tatra is the only brand being made in a stable geopolitical situation (Czechia).

Voskhod, I have 200 blades of it, so, hopefully, by the time I'm done, the blades will be back.

I'm starting to consider Perma-Sharp. But, they're Made-in-Russia too, so, a problem again.

So it has been a very long time since I've tried an Astra SP. Back in the day, I didn't favor them as much as some people did.

For me they were "good," but nothing special on my face. I liked most of the other Russian Gillettes more. So I never purchased more.

In the meantime, Russian Astra SPs only seemed to get more popular in the community as an "everyday" blade.

So I thought, what the heck? Perhaps it is time to revisit these Astras. I tossed a pack into a bulk order for other blades.

I thought this was for a pack of Russian-made Astras. Nope. Indian-made.

Perhaps it was a "happy accident" on my part to have another non-Russian blade to try out?

In any case, I have Indian Astras waiting for the call.

Bill

For today's shave I decided to use a Tatra Platinum. My impression remains the same. Sharp enough and very smooth. No noticeable resistance while cutting, but again, not "Feather sharp". This will probably be my new every day blade (I have 200 on order from RBC) and I will keep some Feathers on hand with maybe one other brand in the mix. Not going to mess with too many brands going forward.

SOTD:

• EJ DE89L
  • Tatra Platinum blade
  • Vielong Synthetic Brush
  • Valobra Lavanda soft soap
  • Lotion Opaline AS

I'm not new to this place, just been away for a while. People talk a lot of bull on hobbyist forums of any type. Been going on for decades. The fact remains that a razor with more edge exposure is not going to make a duller blade sharper. Not possible. You can put the blade in a "shavette" type razor or just hold it with your fingers, and that won't make the edge sharper either. You might be more at risk for cutting yourself though :).
Good to see you are back. Many of the 'oldtimers', forum members & vendors are no longer around. I smiled when I saw it was you posting about blades.

marty

To summarize, three blades "made the cut" for me.

Those are:
  • Tatra Platinum
  • Feather
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (India)
I am stocking a good amount of all these and should be set on blades for at least a year or more.

Blades that didn't make the cut will be PIF'd with some shaving soaps and extra blades to newb wetshavers. I'll deal with that when the rest of the soaps I want to PIF arrive.

I need to try the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (India, Black-colored Tucks/packaging) and the Indian Laser Ultras.

I suspect that those will always be cheap and easy to acquire via eBay.

@cvac I’m a one and done blade user as you are. I went through the blade samplers earlier in my journey. I do a two pass face and head shave weekly. There is no sharper blade out there than a Feather. If there was I would be using it. After constantly hearing or reading dudes raving about Kai the other Japanese blade and how sharp and smooth it was. I decided to get it out of my head once and for all. I did a show down between the two blades and as I suspected the there is no sharper blade than a Feather. The two links below were my results. I continue to do a two pass weekly face and head shave with a single use Feather and bin it.

@cvac I’m a one and done blade user as you are. I went through the blade samplers earlier in my journey. I do a two pass face and head shave weekly. There is no sharper blade out there than a Feather. If there was I would be using it. After constantly hearing or reading dudes raving about Kai the other Japanese blade and how sharp and smooth it was. I decided to get it out of my head once and for all. I did a show down between the two blades and as I suspected the there is no sharper blade than a Feather. The two links below were my results. I continue to do a two pass weekly face and head shave with a single use Feather and bin it.

Sharpness testing shows Feather is well ahead of the pack. I agree they are very sharp, by far the sharpest of any DE blade I've tried over the years.

Kai is not a contender even for a medium sharp blade IME. I did not find them sharp enough nor smooth enough. Sharpness testing shows they are actually below average sharpness. They are a hair wider supposedly so the cutting edge may feel or seem different than other blades to many users. They were ultimately nothing special to me personally.

Top Bottom