What's new

using paste

Hello, I am using TI paste and I am finding that if I use it after every shave, I actually get a bad edge from a decent edge.

I am assuming that coming off a stone with a decent edge, a paste is only used once or twice, and only a clean leather strop after.

I am wondering if after a paste is used if it is necessary to use a clean leather strop immediately after using a paste.

I realize that everyone does different things and ways of going about stropping. I also can blame the quality of metal on the razors I am experimenting on, and also my technique.

At any rate, I have been getting some good edges and decent shaves but to keep that going has not been consistent, especially once I started using paste. I have no problem going back to the stones and starting over which has been with good results.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. It is always good to hear what you experienced guys find as a golden rule. Thanks.

I've not used the TI paste specifically, but in general a paste like that is potentially used to bump up an edge after honing, and then to bring it back after it has fallen off a bit. So not after every shave.

As to the second question, no blade touches my face that hasn't touched clean leather first, regardless of what led up to that point.

As I recall, the TI paste (alum oxide and diamond) is rated at around 10k JIS. In any case, that's how I've always used it, not as a day-to-day maintenance stropping tool. Something like the Solingen black crayon paste on a paddle strop would be better in the latter regard, IMO. Maybe ~2-3 laps on the black pasted side followed by ~8-10 laps on the plain leather side.

Legion

Staff member
Pastes are removing metal, and not in a controlled way like a flat hone.

It always amuses me how some people will go to extreme lengths to ensure their hones are super flat, then happily run their razor up and down a pasted strop, whether it needs it or not.

Pastes are removing metal, and not in a controlled way like a flat hone.

It always amuses me how some people will go to extreme lengths to ensure their hones are super flat, then happily run their razor up and down a pasted strop, whether it needs it or not.
From now on I am using Paste like I use Ibuprofen. Very sparingly and only when I absolutely need it. I don't want my stomach torn up or my razor edge.

Days of old vs A Disposable Income today .... questions/musings

My dad had one oil stone one strop one razor, I inherited all three. Now I don't know if he used a strop dressing? or not?, all have sat idle for 54 years, the razor still cuts arm hair but tugs badly, and I'm not touching up that razor, any other one but not that one.

A Rolls Razor, wedge blade[DE size] has its own built in stone and stropper, the strop paste is sold separately with sand paper, so you sand off all the old and apply the new. God awful red runny stuf in the sun, gets on everything like black molybdenum grease does! These blades hone to lethal levels in their own case.

As a collector, I buy stuff i so desperately don't need, I have 11 or 13? Ace strop dressing boxes with nos blocks in them, I currently use one as a metal buff compound, its a wax? with grit? I also made a pad strop from shoe suede with this Ace dressing in/on it for my meat cleaver razor utility knife, a sturdy old wedge that was rusted beyond bringing back to pristine cond. Slice the pad of me finger bone deep with it.
I also have a box buried in a drawer with 2 bars of strop dressing in it, one fine one medium.

These are my random observations, dressings/pastes were used and are useful, the choice is yours alone.:D

Days of old vs A Disposable Income today .... questions/musings

My dad had one oil stone one strop one razor, I inherited all three. Now I don't know if he used a strop dressing? or not?, all have sat idle for 54 years, the razor still cuts arm hair but tugs badly, and I'm not touching up that razor, any other one but not that one.

A Rolls Razor, wedge blade[DE size] has its own built in stone and stropper, the strop paste is sold separately with sand paper, so you sand off all the old and apply the new. God awful red runny stuf in the sun, gets on everything like black molybdenum grease does! These blades hone to lethal levels in their own case.

As a collector, I buy stuff i so desperately don't need, I have 11 or 13? Ace strop dressing boxes with nos blocks in them, I currently use one as a metal buff compound, its a wax? with grit? I also made a pad strop from shoe suede with this Ace dressing in/on it for my meat cleaver razor utility knife, a sturdy old wedge that was rusted beyond bringing back to pristine cond. Slice the pad of me finger bone deep with it.
I also have a box buried in a drawer with 2 bars of strop dressing in it, one fine one medium.

These are my random observations, dressings/pastes were used and are useful, the choice is yours alone.:D
very interesting. I often wondered how the old timers kept a nice edge. I've seen in some old movies they just pick up a razor and they shave like it was nothing! Hollywood for you. I know barbers were big back then because most guys probably did not know how to hone or didn't have time. Then again beards were big too!
I have a few wedge-type razors and one gizmo to sharpen the blades too, in my collection. I never knew they used paste back then.

Legion

Staff member
very interesting. I often wondered how the old timers kept a nice edge. I've seen in some old movies they just pick up a razor and they shave like it was nothing! Hollywood for you. I know barbers were big back then because most guys probably did not know how to hone or didn't have time. Then again beards were big too!
I have a few wedge-type razors and one gizmo to sharpen the blades too, in my collection. I never knew they used paste back then.
This is an antique travel kit. Inside is a razor and a little double sided travel strop. One side is clean leather and the other has red paste.
IMG_7283.jpeg
IMG_7281.jpeg

I've seen in some old movies they just pick up a razor and they shave like it was nothing!
First, Live Long and Prosper :D

I just love old movies, the razor is at 90 degrees to the skin, normally the neck area and the lather is scraped off in one pass. Yes, nothing was under the lather, and if the razor was sharp? yeah right as if! :D

Top Bottom