What's new

Diamond paste problems

Eben Stone

Staff member
I've been using TechDiamondTools pastes. Should the thickness and density of the pastes be the same for the 50k, 100k, and 200k?

My 50k is great, it's soft, and easy to apply. It rubs into the balsa in seconds.

The 100k seems thicker and dryer. Still usable.

The 200k is so thick and dry it's difficult to push the plunger into the syringe. It doesnt want to rub into the balsa. I'm also getting a lot of stiction when moving the blade along the balsa. It's not sticky to my fingers but it's very difficult to glide the blade smoothly across the balsa.

Is that normal?

Can I use paint thinner or similar to soften it up in the syringe?

I plan to try a different brand of 200k paste. I would prefer a paste that is extremely soft. Any suggestions?

The ones I had from them were similar in consistency although one of them was noticeably more fluid than the other two (no, I don't remember which one). I would try reconstituting some of it with a little paint thinner (go slow, a drop at a time) and if it works, transfer to a clean syringe.

I'm not familiar with other brands, hopefully someone else can chime in.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I don't know why I didn't think of checking their website earlier.

From their FAQ:

What should I do if the compound is solid and impossible to eject?​

It can happen due to the composition. If the paste is solid and does not come out as smoothly as you would like it to, put it in hot water or a microwave for 15 seconds. That will fix the problem.

How to thin the paste?​

Mineral oil will help with that. You can also use it after you apply the compound to a surface, and it gets dry. Thus, it will last longer.

Legion

Staff member
You might also be able to squirt a bit into a small container, thin it a little with rubbing alcohol, and apply to the balsa. The alcohol will evaporate off, but the diamond will be in place.

“I'm also getting a lot of stiction when moving the blade along the balsa.”

You probably have way too much paste on the strop. You do not need much.

I thin with WD40,. Thin, mix a small amount in a dish and apply 3 inch X’s with your finger. The oil and solvent will not harm the balsa or any strop.

You can add WD40 to your balsa, just don’t spray directly on the strop for better control. Hot water works to thin and remove from syringe.

WD40 will remove most paste from most strops, but you can never remove all the paste that is imbedded in the strop.

Jende diamond emulsion, Thiers-Issard Diamond Paste, and DMT diamond paste have been very consistent and fluid. The others have been hit or miss with fluid or thick.

Yeah techdiamondtools Diamond pastes come in different concentrations. So I bought the medium 25% concentration for the 1/2micron 50k to apply to balsa thinking I’m getting more bang for the buck so to speak even though 10% was suggested. I seriously contemplated the higher 50% concentration but didn’t want to over do it. I read I could thin with something like mineral oil. I think it’s just the diamond powder suspended in either mineral oil or like a petroleum jelly. First time using it I had to squeeze firmly to get it to get anything to come out. Clear oil came out before the paste. Paste was firm and dry for like first 1/4”. Then it was softer n well mixed paste.
I applied lightly and evenly only once. I’ve only used maybe a dozen times just to bump up the edges as a finisher. Or once or twice to a dulling edge to get a few more shaves to avoid taking back to the stones. It’s darkened a little with use and last time I used I noticed razors didn’t just glide over it like they once did when I first started using it bc I made sure to apply just a little of it. Like there was just a hint of some stiction.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Update:

I used some non-Acetone nail polish remover gel on the balsa and it liquified the existing paste and I was able to rub it in properly and wiped off the excess.

But the surface of the balsa still felt "sticky" when I tried to glide the blade across.

Then I added some mineral oil and now the balsa is like a slip-n-slide.

Both the nail polish remover and mineral oil worked like a charm.

Top Bottom