What's new

Any 1911 Owners?

My grandpa was a very big gun enthusiast. He had several rifles, shotguns, and pistols. When he died, a lot of those guns were left to collect dust. One of his favorites was his Colt 1911 .45 '70 Series. When he died, a lot of his guns started collecting dust. Some of them hadn't been fired in over 20 years. But a couple years ago, my grandma "sold" me his .45. I've loved the 1911 ever since I was a kid. I have shot it several times and had a lot of fun doing it. But I have a few things to address.

My 1911 doesn't shoot straight. It shoots low and to the right. So I have to aim high and to the left to hit center mass. This kind of concerns me because I have read that 1911's are some of the most accurate pistols out there... except mine. Any ideas why this is?

Second, who here owns a 1911?

I'll post pictures in a bit.

Try holding on the same point for five rounds and see if all five rounds form a tight group. If so, you have an accurate firearm that merely needs to have its sights adjusted.

Alternatively, if the shots don't group, get an experienced shooter to try the same thing.

Are you shooting from a bench rest or at least a bench bag?

You cannot determine if it is the sighting or you unless you take "you" out of the equation.

proxy.php

Not sure how experienced you are with handguns. Low and right are classic symptoms and of either slapping/grabbing the trigger or anticipating recoil or a combo of both. If you do not have a lot of shooting experience, have an experienced handgun shooter try it or as mentioned above, at least take some steps to take YOU out of the equation.

Make sure your grip pressure does not change during the shot and press the trigger to the rear. Do not pull the trigger quickly or tighten grip as you press the trigger rearward. Wen you "pull" the trigger you tend to pull sideways as well as rearward.

+1 to all above comments. This problem can be fixed. I own several, and love them all. Most of my problems are precisely that, problems with my technique...but they're only one way to find out.

Not sure how experienced you are with handguns. Low and right are classic symptoms and of either slapping/grabbing the trigger or anticipating recoil or a combo of both. If you do not have a lot of shooting experience, have an experienced handgun shooter try it or as mentioned above, at least take some steps to take YOU out of the equation.

Make sure your grip pressure does not change during the shot and press the trigger to the rear. Do not pull the trigger quickly or tighten grip as you press the trigger rearward. Wen you "pull" the trigger you tend to pull sideways as well as rearward.

+1!

Not a fan of the 70 series, but 1911's are awesome pistolas.

Your issue can be resolved.

Have a Rem 1911R1. Love it. All the above is awesome advice. Maybe shoot some more until your comfortable with it, then take a look at sights if you aren't hitting where you want? Took me at least 150-200 rds to start getting used to mine. 1911's are a joy to shoot, but be warned, they can be finicky. My glocks are more reliable, but not nearly as comfortable to shoot for me. Which makes me shoot my 1911 more accurately than anything else I have.

I have a Rock Island clone. Not expensive, but shoots where I aim it and goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Timeless, classic design.

I have a Rock Island clone. Not expensive, but shoots where I aim it and goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Timeless, classic design.
I've got these in a couple of calibers and sizes and plan to get a couple more. They've been good enough performers for my purposes and are likely much more accurate than I can shoot. That being said, I'd kind of like my next gun to have sights that aren't black on black and maybe even a nickel finish.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

This was my first thought. Pay attention to your grip pressure. You want to grip it firmly, but not so much as your hand shakes. See how much grip pressure you are using when the hammer falls; you want that much pressure all the way through the trigger pull. A lot of people tend to increase the grip pressure during the trigger pull, and that will throw your shots to the right, especially with a double action revolver but also with any handgun. If you are using two hands you want to keep the same, firm, pressure with both hands equally.

In LE training it was suggested that you may want to step to your own right when getting shot at as most people will tighten their grip when firing and pull the shot to their right...your left if you're facing them. Me...I just shoot back quickly. :biggrin1:

The target analysis wheel is a good thing.

If you can't get another shooter to test the pistol then a cheap method to see if you are the problem is to buy some dummy rounds and stick them randomly in a few magazines. Then when you THINK you are shooting a live round and instead it is a dummy, you will see if the front sight makes a dive because you are anticipating the recoil.

Are you shooting at an indoor range? I find that REALLY GOOD ear protection, like plugs under muffs, helps alot by dampning the sound of the shot which helps me focus.

If it turns out you are anticipating, then you need to start dry firing. With an EMPTY gun, no ammo anywhere in the room, practice lining up the sights and breaking the trigger (while keeping the pistol aimed in a safe direction). The front sight shouldn't wobble. Dropping the hammer on an empty chamber won't hurt the pistol, though you can use dummy rounds to cushion the firing pin if you want. Do this a few hundred times over a week or so and you may break the flinching habit.

I too have a Colt 1911 .45 '70 Series. I love that pistol and can also shoot it better and more accurately than my Glock 36. I also have a Glock 36 .45 cal and a Glock 26 9 mm.

Mike

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If you can't get another shooter to test the pistol then a cheap method to see if you are the problem is to buy some dummy rounds and stick them randomly in a few magazines. Then when you THINK you are shooting a live round and instead it is a dummy, you will see if the front sight makes a dive because you are anticipating the recoil.

Are you shooting at an indoor range? I find that REALLY GOOD ear protection, like plugs under muffs, helps alot by dampning the sound of the shot which helps me focus.

If it turns out you are anticipating, then you need to start dry firing. With an EMPTY gun, no ammo anywhere in the room, practice lining up the sights and breaking the trigger (while keeping the pistol aimed in a safe direction). The front sight shouldn't wobble. Dropping the hammer on an empty chamber won't hurt the pistol, though you can use dummy rounds to cushion the firing pin if you want. Do this a few hundred times over a week or so and you may break the flinching habit.

Excellent advise.

Also try putting a dime on the front sight and try to keep it from falling off during the trigger pull...during dry fire with an EMPTY GUN. Although on my Colt 1911 the heavy hammer fall knocks the dime off every time. It works well on my Smith DA revolver in DA mode.

Just a thought.

Never mind...I just tried the dime thing on my Colt Officers ACP again and the dime fell off every time the hammer dropped. Tried it on my Smith 681 during DA pull and it stayed on just fine.

Apparently a 1911 is not good for that exercise. You may try to see if the dime falls off until the hammer falls though. That may give you a clue, although I think your low right may be a grip pressure problem.

Last edited:
a few things i learned from various rangemasters...
First: adjust your grip so the middle of your fingerprint is on the front of the trigger. unlike the movies, where they sue the first knuckle.

Second: sight picture:
proxy.php

Third, hold it firm, but not a deathgrip. think a handshake.

fourth, when you sight, take your breath, let it out halfway, slowly, then hold. slowly squeeze the trigger. you should be surprised when it goes off.

I have a Colt Government Model and a Gold Cup National Match. I shoot alot. I have shot about 1300 rounds so far this month. About 800 of those were from a 1911.

Last edited:
Have a Colt Delta Elite that has been worked over by Marianne Carniak , the daughter of Russ Carniak. I also had her build a Fusion Scout longslide in 10mm. And is currently working on a Damascus and Titanium Caspian longslide calibered in 10mm for me.

I have owned a few in the past. COLT Government model currently.

good advice here.

DO NOT dry fire a rimfire pistol though. use dummy rounds every time. I learned the hard way as a young lad.

Does it have the itty bitty factory Colt combat sights? Also, what load are you shooting and at what distance? Assuming these results were with 230 grain ball ammo? These pistols are usually way more capable that the person pulling the trigger. Horrid triggers will cause bullets to not go where they were intended. Full strip and detail cleaning is in order. That Series 70 dosn't have the that plunger operated "safety" feature a, along with extra moving parts. Getting to know that level of detail will make you appreciate the simplicity of JM Brownings design. I'd also throw factory weighted Wolf replacement springs in, just in case (Size specific to the 1911, govt/commander/officer etc). Oh yeah, and withouit pictures, it didn't happen! Good luck and stay after it.

Top Bottom