What's new

Same old debate. 1911 in 9mm or 45

I think I'm going to save up my pennies and get a 1911. Of current production guns I like the CZ-75s and 1911s lots. I like the classic types more than the Glock types. The 1911 just feels natural to me. I'm very keen on the Springfield Garrison. That hot salt blueing...drool. With that being said, I have a hard time answering the 9 vs 45 question. On one hand the gun was designed around the 45 ACP, on the other hand...9 will probably be lower muzzle flip, plus cheaper ammo in the caliber it seems every ammo company will focus on during ammo crunches because of DOD-NATO etc..

Y'all seem like a 1911 crowd. What say you?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The Springfield prodigy is kinda sexy. It’s a double stack polymer 9mm tho.

Have you shot a lot of .45? I hardly shoot 9mm, but recoil on a heavy 1911 in .45 wasn’t bad at all. Especially compared to my g22. I don’t think muzzle flip will be much of a factor.

Ammo wise there is a lot of 9mm around, but everyone and their grandmother shoots 9mm, so in an ammo shortage or TEOTWAWKI scenario I believe 9mm and 5.56 will be more difficult to find. But at that point all ammo is hard to find.

Easy way to fix that is buy as much of whatever you need when you can. Or reload ;).

The .45acp is a good round but it doesn't penetrate as well as a 9mm, as a rule. In a 1911, I would prefer a .45acp or a 10mm, unless the firearm was one of those that had the frame cut down for the 9mm. The 1911 is a fine handgun, but it is an antiquated design. We used to have to have them polished and the port relieved to make them reliable with hollow points, but most of the modern makers do that from the factory, nowadays.

If you want a 9mm 1911 it is not my choice, 9mm Glock 19, or 17 I’d great platform for 9mm ammo.

If you’re wanting 1911 in non .45 ACP, think about .38 Super. Bullet is same length as .45 ACP, so 1911’s in .38 Super work & run well.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What is your primary intended use for the 1911? I have two, both in .45 ACP. If I had the money, I'd have one in just about every available caliber. In a full size all steel gun, recoil is not a significant issue with the .45 ACP unless you are trying for the fastest split times in a competition gun. For defensive purposes, either caliber will do. Shot placement is every thing. If you don't reload, ammo availability could be a concern, but if you are at all serious, as already mentioned , you need to stock up on what ever caliber you choose.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I tend to lean towards the caliber a handgun was initially designed around. For example in the Colt Hammerless I have found the 32acp versions I've shot have been more reliable than the 380 versions. In 1911s the 45acp versions I've shot have been more reliable than the 9mm versions. But even then I've had a Colt brand and a Dan Wesson brand 45acp 1911 that was simply a nightmare.

In relatively similar size and weight pistols I generally have found the 45acp ones easier and faster to place multiple rounds in a smaller pattern than with my 9mm Luger ones but the difference is really not significantly great.

1920-2022-2.jpg

I have six 1911s in .45 ACP and only one in 9mm. The one chambered in 9mm is fun to shoot and very reliable but so are all the others. My daily carry is a 1911 4.25" Commander size in .45 and I don't think the recoil or muzzle flip is hard. It's an easy shooting gun that I love to shoot.

Now 9mm is cheaper and both calibers are pretty easy to find now.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Primary usage would be range target shooting. I understand it’s an old design but that is part of the appeal, on top of the ergonomics and the fact the heart wants what the heart wants.

Budget would be under $1,000. Reason I have looked at the garrison are because it has the few modern touches I like- beaver tail, flat mainspring, Novak sights. Yet it doesn’t look insanely over the top modern.

I am left handed, this make a M-1911problematic for me as most AMIB Safety seem to come apart if you not watchful while shooting. Has two 1911's both Colt's, both customized, both shot great out to 20-25 yards.

As I age, get old, weak, and loose strength in hands, I love 9mm. Love the Glock platform, it work, it is easy to clean, and last it is combat accurate.

The finest target pistol in hands of person with no shooting skill, is just not very accurate, because of skills of shooter, not firearm.

I'm of the opinion that every gun guy should own a 1911. It's a piece of history, much like a vintage Gillette razor, that still works in this modern era despite so many newer designs around it.
I'm also of the opinion that a 1911 should be a .45. The gun is big and heavy and built stout to deal with the recoil of the .45 ACP round whereas 9mm pistols don't need to be big and heavy.
For 9mm pistols, I definitely prefer polymer frame guns. For .45's, though, a 1911 is hard to beat despite the fact I've owned many polymer-framed ones as well.

I've recently gotten into 1911's. Great feeling gun and currently all of mine are 45, if you want a well built.one with about the best blue or real case hardening color, Standard Manufacturing is seemingly the best value. I've been looking for a local one but their finish gets a lot of praise as well as being forged upper and lower and no mim, which really isn't bad anymore imo but some still add a point for it

I think I'm going to save up my pennies and get a 1911. Of current production guns I like the CZ-75s and 1911s lots. I like the classic types more than the Glock types. The 1911 just feels natural to me. I'm very keen on the Springfield Garrison. That hot salt blueing...drool. With that being said, I have a hard time answering the 9 vs 45 question. On one hand the gun was designed around the 45 ACP, on the other hand...9 will probably be lower muzzle flip, plus cheaper ammo in the caliber it seems every ammo company will focus on during ammo crunches because of DOD-NATO etc..

Y'all seem like a 1911 crowd. What say you?
45. Getting a 1911 in 9mm seems un-American.

Top Bottom