What's new

I shaved with a Pre-50's tech, and I liked it!

I found a pre-1950's fat handled tech on ebay for a pretty decent price. It took a few weeks to get to me, and once I got it I took it over to my brother's place for cleaning (he has polishing equipment). Here are some before pictures (from the ebay posting):

$Handle.jpg$Head.jpg

And here are some after pictures:
$photo 2.jpg$photo 1.jpg

Not the most breathtaking of improvements, but it was good enough for me. I put in one of my Gillette Silver Blue blades in it and shaved with it this morning, having incredibly low expectations. I kept reading about how mild of a razor this is and thought "Oh man, this is not going to cut through my facial hair very well. Why did I buy this thing??". Much to my surprise, it dealt with my facial hair just fine compared to my Parker 94r!! I didn't experience much tugging at all with the grain, and then against the grain was a breeze! I'm always squeamish about going ATG in my neck area because that tends to cause irritation. Not with the tech, apparently. My neck seemed to be quite appreciate of the tech.

I don't know what I'm going to do with my Parker now. Do I just use it WTG/XTG and the tech ATG? Maybe this was a fluke and the next time I use the Tech it will be terrible. Haha!

Attachments

• $Baseplate.jpg
    $Baseplate.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 99
I don't believe it was a fluke, I think you will find the Tech to be a great mild, smooth, winner. Try a nice Feather blade and you might just sell or trade your Parker.

I kissed a girl and I liked it :lol: reminded me of that song. congrats on the tech, think maybe ill pull one out for todays shave. sometime down the road pick one up with the other style base plate and give it a whirl also.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Any Tech is a great razor for beginning and experienced users; I use Feather blades in my English Tech.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Cool find. Go easy with the buffing next time, it looks like you removed some metal there. Or maybe it's just the lighting. :detective:

I am a devoted techie as well, with a derby blade I find it to be a smooth relaxing shave. Now if only I could figure out how old mine is....

Top Bottom