What's new

4 month wolfman evaluation

4 months into DE shaving and I no longer fear slicing my face off.

I have accumulated a nice set of razors so far. A BBS-1 plus WR2's in .95 ss, 1.25 antiqued bronze, 1.35 bronze, 1.35 titanium DC, and 1.55 titanium.

First off, coming from disposable razors they all give a fantastic shave, I have no complaints, but to me at least there is a good bit of variation on how the razors work.

A few notes I don't chase BBS all over, I can get pretty close on my face in one pass ATG with a little touch up. I have somewhat fast growing whiskers, my skin isnt sensitive, and i dont think my facial hair is particularly tough. I am an everyday Shaver except for possibly Saturday morning if I am going to be working in the yard all day. I use a brush and lather on everything but blu atlas shave cream. I have some pre shave stuff but don't use it much. I use just feather blades.

20230420_100112.jpg

The .95 is a lot like shaving with my dad's old Bic disposable with the yellow blade guard still on it. Not that it's dull or doesn't shave well, but I would be more likely to cut myself with my old dollar shave club cartridge razors then this thing. It's easy and intuitive and very forgiving. I have had phone conversations while shaving with this thing with no issues. Now, while it provides a dang good shave, it isn't as close or long lasting as the others, but it is quick and easy.

20230419_092454.jpg

The BBS-1 to me is a more aggressive version of the .95. Still an easy shave, but closer, and the head shape is more maneuverable to me(yes I realize technically the BBS1 isn't a wolfman). It can cause irritation if I do something stupid, but for the most part s very forgiving razor.
BcXkl8r.jpg

1.25 is a distinct step up in agression.I have to pay more attention but I get a very close shave with it. I have to do more touchup with it, especially the mustache area, but most of that is probably me trying not to cut myself in those areas.
20230427_091118.jpg
20230501_163359.jpg

1.35s are my slowest shaves. They shave extremely close but I have to be very attentive when using them. They seem to have the narrowest sweet spot on blade angle. Surprisingly I don't notice a whole lot of difference between the bronze and titanium razors, mostly because the titanium handle is a heavier handle design then the bronze one. I also don't notice a big difference between the open comb and closed comb, though that isn't surprising as the open comb would be close to a closed comb 1.45 and I have read not a whole lot of difference in those two blade gaps.
20230724_112534.jpg

1.55 titanium darwin handle is my newest and so far favorite razor. I have shaved with it twice on back to back morning. Yesterday it had been 2 days since I shaved, this morning was obviously 1 day. It shaved well with both situations. This is a very close shave and keeping it at a steep angle works extremely well. It seems closer to the .95 or BBS1 as far as a forgiving sweetspot for technique. Provides an extremely smooth shave and as long as I don't do something like touch up shaving without any lather it causes no real irritation to me. The darwin handle is my favorite handle design by far and this thing may be lighter then my dollar shave club razor. Love it. I asked about it a 1.55 being a daily Shaver on here before ordering it and so far for it is a yes.

Pics below in order of
Easiest shave L-R

20230726_091005.jpg

Closest Shave

Best Shave
20230726_090942.jpg

Most likely to make me bleed

Don't actually have a pic of this, but it's the 1.35s and 1.25 in top 3 slots.

Anyway hope it's helpful reading. Ask away with any questions.

Attachments

• 20230726_091039.jpg
    20230726_091039.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230705_184324.jpg
    20230705_184324.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
4 months into DE shaving and I no longer fear slicing my face off.

I have accumulated a nice set of razors so far. A BBS-1 plus WR2's in .95 ss, 1.25 antiqued bronze, 1.35 bronze, 1.35 titanium DC, and 1.55 titanium.

First off, coming from disposable razors they all give a fantastic shave, I have no complaints, but to me at least there is a good bit of variation on how the razors work.

A few notes I don't chase BBS all over, I can get pretty close on my face in one pass ATG with a little touch up. I have somewhat fast growing whiskers, my skin isnt sensitive, and i dont think my facial hair is particularly tough. I am an everyday Shaver except for possibly Saturday morning if I am going to be working in the yard all day. I use a brush and lather on everything but blu atlas shave cream. I have some pre shave stuff but don't use it much. I use just feather blades.

View attachment 1692319
The .95 is a lot like shaving with my dad's old Bic disposable with the yellow blade guard still on it. Not that it's dull or doesn't shave well, but I would be more likely to cut myself with my old dollar shave club cartridge razors then this thing. It's easy and intuitive and very forgiving. I have had phone conversations while shaving with this thing with no issues. Now, while it provides a dang good shave, it isn't as close or long lasting as the others, but it is quick and easy.

View attachment 1692320
The BBS-1 to me is a more aggressive version of the .95. Still an easy shave, but closer, and the head shape is more maneuverable to me(yes I realize technically the BBS1 isn't a wolfman). It can cause irritation if I do something stupid, but for the most part s very forgiving razor.
View attachment 1692326
1.25 is a distinct step up in agression.I have to pay more attention but I get a very close shave with it. I have to do more touchup with it, especially the mustache area, but most of that is probably me trying not to cut myself in those areas.
View attachment 1692318View attachment 1692317
1.35s are my slowest shaves. They shave extremely close but I have to be very attentive when using them. They seem to have the narrowest sweet spot on blade angle. Surprisingly I don't notice a whole lot of difference between the bronze and titanium razors, mostly because the titanium handle is a heavier handle design then the bronze one. I also don't notice a big difference between the open comb and closed comb, though that isn't surprising as the open comb would be close to a closed comb 1.45 and I have read not a whole lot of difference in those two blade gaps.
View attachment 1692315
1.55 titanium darwin handle is my newest and so far favorite razor. I have shaved with it twice on back to back morning. Yesterday it had been 2 days since I shaved, this morning was obviously 1 day. It shaved well with both situations. This is a very close shave and keeping it at a steep angle works extremely well. It seems closer to the .95 or BBS1 as far as a forgiving sweetspot for technique. Provides an extremely smooth shave and as long as I don't do something like touch up shaving without any lather it causes no real irritation to me. The darwin handle is my favorite handle design by far and this thing may be lighter then my dollar shave club razor. Love it. I asked about it a 1.55 being a daily Shaver on here before ordering it and so far for it is a yes.

Pics below in order of
Easiest shave L-R

View attachment 1692313
Closest Shave

Best Shave
View attachment 1692314
Most likely to make me bleed

Don't actually have a pic of this, but it's the 1.35s and 1.25 in top 3 slots.

Anyway hope it's helpful reading. Ask away with any questions.

Your review was nice but the big question is, if you became in need of fins, had to sell off your stable of Wolfman’s.

What would be your keeper, and why that paticular Razor?

Reactions: Kix
That would be a tough one. I want to say the 1.55 as I am loving shaving with it, but part of that is the newness I know....part of its the darwin handle....it would be either the 1.55 or the BBS1.....currently I would probably go 1.55.

That would be a tough one. I want to say the 1.55 as I am loving shaving with it, but part of that is the newness I know....part of its the darwin handle....it would be either the 1.55 or the BBS1.....currently I would probably go 1.55.

Surprised you were able to supply fast reply.

For me compared to the others, yes. The 1.35s are more likely, but I personally am way more likely to cut myself with the 1.25 then I am with the 1.55. I just think for me the 1.55 is a smoother shave and easier to get close without cutting myself. Others may disagree.

For me compared to the others, yes. The 1.35s are more likely, but I personally am way more likely to cut myself with the 1.25 then I am with the 1.55. I just think for me the 1.55 is a smoother shave and easier to get close without cutting myself. Others may disagree.
No, I agree the 1.55 is much smoother and less likely to cause weepers than the 1.35. I wonder if the blade exposure is lower on the 1.55 or there are other differences with the configuration. The 1.55 is very efficient but somehow a quite gentle shaver for me.

I do find the 0.95 to be more efficient and blade forward than noted in the OP. I wonder if that’s because of only shaving with DEs for four months and the technique for maintaining the angle the same over the contours of your face can still be improved. I suspect in time you’ll start to find more efficiency and blade feedback from this gap.

Otherwise I recognise all the things pointed out in the OP and it matches my experience (I have used 0.95, 1.35 and 1.55 gaps only). I feel the best performing WR2s are at the bottom and the top of the gap range, not in the middle - for me, anyway.

No, I agree the 1.55 is much smoother and less likely to cause weepers than the 1.35. I wonder if the blade exposure is lower on the 1.55 or there are other differences with the configuration. The 1.55 is very efficient but somehow a quite gentle shaver for me.

I do find the 0.95 to be more efficient and blade forward than noted in the OP. I wonder if that’s because of only shaving with DEs for four months and the technique for maintaining the angle the same over the contours of your face can still be improved. I suspect in time you’ll start to find more efficiency and blade feedback from this gap.

Otherwise I recognise all the things pointed out in the OP and it matches my experience (I have used 0.95, 1.35 and 1.55 gaps only). I feel the best performing WR2s are at the bottom and the top of the gap range, not in the middle - for me, anyway.
I have no complaints about the .95. It's a dream to use, but I do feel comparatively it is more forgiving but the larger blade gaps provide a closer cut. Efficiency would seem to indicate it doesn't shave well or I have to make more passes, it gives a great 1 pass shave, but I would say the larger gaps seem to last longer.

I have no complaints about the .95. It's a dream to use, but I do feel comparatively it is more forgiving but the larger blade gaps provide a closer cut. Efficiency would seem to indicate it doesn't shave well or I have to make more passes, it gives a great 1 pass shave, but I would say the larger gaps seem to last longer.
I think with practice your shaves with the 0.95 will be equally close and long-lasting as the 1.55. They are for me. It might take a few years, or less if you really focus on technique and maintaining the optimal angle.

It is only the blade edge that cuts your hair, so there’s no logical reason why one razor would cut closer than another, other than your technique with the razor, so long as the blade edge is straight and rigid.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Just for clarification, the 1.25 is in the top 3 of most likely to make you bleed?

Interesting thread. Sorry I am late to the game! I have had WR2 in 1.15, 1.25 and 1.55. And I agree. The 1.25 was somewhat of an anomaly in the WR2 clan. It was not enough of a step up in efficiency over the 1.15 to make it "better". But yet it was much more likely to have a rough shave, and/or cause irritation on my neck. The 1.15 was smooth as silk. The 1.25 was not. And the 1.55 was smoother than the 1.25, but not smoother than the 1.15. At the end of the day, the 1.25 had to go. The 1.55 was great for a while, but at some point I decided that it was too much razor for me, and sold it to fund a 1.15 OC to match my original 1.15 SB. All in all, it was good decisions all the way around.

Interesting thread. Sorry I am late to the game! I have had WR2 in 1.15, 1.25 and 1.55. And I agree. The 1.25 was somewhat of an anomaly in the WR2 clan. It was not enough of a step up in efficiency over the 1.15 to make it "better". But yet it was much more likely to have a rough shave, and/or cause irritation on my neck. The 1.15 was smooth as silk. The 1.25 was not. And the 1.55 was smoother than the 1.25, but not smoother than the 1.15. At the end of the day, the 1.25 had to go. The 1.55 was great for a while, but at some point I decided that it was too much razor for me, and sold it to fund a 1.15 OC to match my original 1.15 SB. All in all, it was good decisions all the way around.
That’s similar to what I felt with the WR2 1.35 gap. Wasn’t particularly efficient and wasn’t nearly as smooth as my 1.55 or 0.95. Something seems off to me with those middle gaps, though some other people definitely like them.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
That’s similar to what I felt with the WR2 1.35 gap. Wasn’t particularly efficient and wasn’t nearly as smooth as my 1.55 or 0.95. Something seems off to me with those middle gaps, though some other people definitely like them.
Yeah, so many people love the 1.25. That is why I bought one after my 1.15. But I got it right the first time.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm glad I followed @Mr. Shavington 's advice and got the WR2 in the 0.95 gap. It seems to fit my face perfectly. I get smooth, yet close shaves... esp. with a Perma-Sharp blade, though it does well with quite a few others. Let's see.. I've tried the Wizamets, Nacets and Personna USA Comfort Coateds, so far. I do plan to try a Kai blade in it soon, just to see.

I noticed that you like the WR3 .50. How would you compare it to the WR2 1.55 in terms of blade feel and efficiency

Top Bottom