What's new

Crossed the line - First SR shave

Today, I received two, honed and shave-ready SRs (and a tub for Stirling's Scarn) from our most generous member @Steve56. Thank you again Steve!

I also would like to take a moment to thank @ZeelandsRoem for all the valuable SR information communicated in conversations. Thank you Ioan!

Box content

IMG_8070.jpg

IMG_8071.jpg

IMG_8072.jpg

Shortly after unboxing, I prepped myself to give my first SR shave a go. I washed and rinsed the facial hair with a glycerin soap. A hot press towel for 30 seconds. Soaked the badger brush. Took my time to lather Scarn properly. (Excellent soap by the way.) I was advised to achieve a wet lather; which I believe I did.

IMG_8069 3.jpg

The Shave

Passes

WTG. The SR removed 75% of the facial hair in most parts.

XTG: I struggled there in some areas. Realized neck area doesn't need it. Other areas need better technique.

ATG: Almost as comfortable as WTG in terms of technique.

Result

• Perfect BBS on both cheeks. Near BBS on the jaw line (sides). DFS+ in the neck. The chin and under-the-nose areas need work but it was close enough.

• Some irritation but that's because I was a bit too 'trigger-happed' and pressed down in some areas. (Sorry Steve, I know you said otherwise.)

• Zero cuts. Couple minor nicks due to handling/technique.

IMG_8073 2.jpg

Impression/Thoughts

• I found it perplexing how 'easy' and comfortable it was to shave with a SR. I can only attribute it to Steve's honing expertise; which made this first SR shave a bliss. Luckily, I am also dexterous.

• Equally perplexed on how it was possible to go from north to south on WTG instead of having to follow hair direction. The neck area was always problematic for me unless I followed the hair 'to the letter'. The SR does not care, it cut through with no drama.

• The second XTG pass may not be necessary. I only did so because that's my routine with the DE.

• Zero tugging or pulling; none whatsoever. It was purely cutting the hair. I've solely used the Mühle R41 GS since April and in spite of being one of the most aggressive DE razor in the market, I never felt such 'cutting' feeling. I understand that they're different tools but the R41 always came with some drama (pulling and/or tugging).

• Shaving with a SR reminded me of the Flammarion engraving where the traveler 'sees the light'. Glad to be part of the club.

600px-Flammarion.jpg

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Congratulations! Glad you had a good first experience, sounds like things went well. There is tremendous value in having a razor honed by someone with knowledge who also uses a straight razor. A proper shave ready razor makes a difference as you have described. Wishing you continued enjoyable shaves ahead. Oh, and the first rule of the straight razor club…there is no straight razor club.;)

Congratulations! Glad you had a good first experience, sounds like things went well. There is tremendous value in having a razor honed by someone with knowledge who also uses a straight razor. A proper shave ready razor makes a difference as you have described. Wishing you continued enjoyable shaves ahead. Oh, and the first rule of the straight razor club…there is no straight razor club.;)

I can't agree more. I can only imagine the experience if I went with an off-the-shelf option (as in online) for not knowing better. I started my research and reached out to Steve for advise who graciously offered to send me this care package. It's a game changer for sure.

What SR Club? :)

You have officially grown into your username! :p

Congrats on your shave. There is no looking back! I look forward to seeing you in the Straight of the Day thread, which will no doubt fuel the RAD that is already starting to well up... :)

Haha, I have indeed! And thank you, it was better than expected, by far. I'll definitely post in that section. The RAD is on. :)

Last edited:
I am happy to read about your first shave. It is amazing how good of a shave and how comfortable of a shave one can get with an old fashioned straight razor. As you gain experience you will be able to shave every area in every direction and get as close of a shave as you desire.

Don't forget to strop the razor on a plain leather strop.

I remember my first shave last year. I was scared, I have to admit. When I made the first stroke I said, "That's it? There's nothing to fear." I had a great first shave and no nicks or cuts or weepers.

Seriously love reading this, and wish it were easier to convince people that it's really nowhere near so frightening as people constantly think. All it takes is a properly honed edge. Such a fine experience can be had if people can get a good edge and get over the fear.

On the second point - I will link people to your post and encourage you to tell folks it turns out nothing to be scared of, quite unexpectedly simple rather. You're perspective having just started will be valuable for people to hear to help them get over that fear.

Congrats on an amazing first shave. I’m sure Steve’s edge was what put it over the top. It’s incredible how a proper edge can transform something as everyday as shaving into a work of art.

You have definitely seen the light.

Thank you. Definitely, Steve's edge made it possible to see the light. Can't agree more on how SR shaving is an art form. I meant to make a mention of this but forgot; glad you broguht it up.

I am happy to read about your first shave. It is amazing how good of a shave and how comfortable of a shave one can get with an old fashioned straight razor. As you gain experience you will be able to shave every area in every direction and get as close of a shave as you desire.

Don't forget to strop the razor on a plain leather strop.

I remember my first shave last year. I was scared, I have to admit. When I made the first stroke I said, "That's it? There's nothing to fear." I had a great first shave and no nicks or cuts or weepers.

Thank you. Looking forward to many more SR shaves to perfect it like I did with a DE.

Steve recommended some good strops and I'll be ordering one soon. And no, it's not a Kanayama. Haha :)

Top Bottom