What's new

My DIY razor

Serious question, did anyone ever die from shaving? Even with this "razor" I find it very hard to cut yourself, unless you're pushing the blade all the way into your skin.

Well if you work Policing, Fire, EMS, or Emergency Rooms you will see all sort of impossible things first hand.

My buddy just retired after 39 years in EMS, Fire, Paramedic work.

He thought he had seen everything, until his last shift.

Lady was Silver Alert, some how she drove 70 miles from her home without crashing, she had server Dementa.

Hunter found her in desert, where he car got stuck in sand.

I love @euro homemade DE razor. I'd like to see him compare a straight or Feather shavette to his creation. I feel like the straight would be an 8-9 on the difficulty scale while his razor would be a 10 out of 10.

The straight or Feather shavette use a strong blade that isn't prone to flexing. The unsupported DE blade in the first iteration of the DIY razor would flex like crazy. At least in my mind it would.

Or maybe you're asking why I would rank a straight or Feather shavette at an 8-9. It's because I got a pretty good cut with a Feather once that I couldn't explain at all. I also find this style of razor more difficult to learn to use than a DE, from my experience.

The straight or Feather shavette use a strong blade that isn't prone to flexing. [...] The unsupported DE blade in the first iteration of the DIY razor would flex like crazy. At least in my mind it would.
I agree. There are some straight razors with extreme grinds which flex more than a typical extra hollow, but I am pretty sure the DE blade in this example still flexed a lot more. The home made base plate and top cap did seem to improve it quite a lot, but there is still some blade width which is not "supported" well enough. See this:

I made something that supposed to look like a baseplate and a top cap.
First pass: WTG
the diy baseplates it performs much better than without it. It didn't perform well on my chin and stache area.

Second pass: XTG
No issues at all except on the stache and chin area

Hello,
thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. A talk for DIY things.
And there are my DIY/free models:
  • fully 3D printable Double edge adjustable safety razor LINK
  • DE Double Edge Adjustable Safety Razor LINK (This was also my first 3d printing project ;). )
  • and my mod for "Gillette - King C" is here LINK
BR, Ivko
full
full
full

Last edited:
Top Bottom