What's new

Gillette Tech early 1960's vs other razors

I've have shaved a slim since 1969, lost it, and then bought another one for nostalgia. It isn't my favorite razor to use, at all. The Tech is great, but I will get nicks and can get some irritation from the Slim. YMMV, but be warned. It shaves okay for me, but there are better.
Dang, well, one of the adjustable Gillette razors, anyway! First one I run across in a flea market that looks nice!

Keep working with that Tech. Try different blades. Eventually you’ll get it right. There’s a reason that Techs are the most popular razors in the world.
If you must have an adjustable, the Gillette SuperAdjustable is the best, IMHO. They shave better than the Slim or Fatboy and they are much more reasonably priced. I picked one up in like new condition for $10.

You have a very finger collection going already with both vintage and modern being present. As such no new razors are needed. Wanted is of course a different story. For me 7 razors was the tipping point :blush:.

My son started DE shaving last December and he has a Slim. I honestly don’t think he will ever need another (he also said so, only to point to my collection and state - why would I when one day this week all be mine anyway!). I find the Slim to be very solid.

You could of course first test some waters and get something amazingly build but price friendly like a Fatip or a bit more expensive a Greencult (but I suspect these will be similar to your Karve).

Techs are simply wonderful. I only have one, but it is amazing and can rival with some of my high end razors.

Cheers,

Guido

The first DE razor I used was a tech, of my grandfather's, and I owned and used a few of different styles before I gave them away after I got my Slim.

They're great razors and I can understand why someone would like them, but found them a little too "bitey" for my preference. I attributed it to having a decent blade exposure despite having a small gap, but there's probably a better explanation. You can always explain it in terms of technique but other razors have worked for me more intuitively or something.

My Muramasa reminds me a lot of the techs, but adjustable, heavier, and much milder due to the negative exposure. Except for the weight, it's everything I wanted the tech to be.

The first DE razor I used was a tech, of my grandfather's, and I owned and used a few of different styles before I gave them away after I got my Slim.

They're great razors and I can understand why someone would like them, but found them a little too "bitey" for my preference. I attributed it to having a decent blade exposure despite having a small gap, but there's probably a better explanation. You can always explain it in terms of technique but other razors have worked for me more intuitively or something.

My Muramasa reminds me a lot of the techs, but adjustable, heavier, and much milder due to the negative exposure. Except for the weight, it's everything I wanted the tech to be.
Of course, you could get the titanium Muramasa if weight’s an issue.😁

Keep working with that Tech. Try different blades. Eventually you’ll get it right. There’s a reason that Techs are the most popular razors in the world.
If you must have an adjustable, the Gillette SuperAdjustable is the best, IMHO. They shave better than the Slim or Fatboy and they are much more reasonably priced. I picked one up in like new condition for $10.
Would that be the 84 or the 109 model? I find they shave a little differently but it may be the one with the Black Plastic under the blade tray makes that head unique. Haven't shaved with the 109 that has the all metal head. I agree, they are better than the either of the other two you mentioned. I hope they have the same longevity as the Slim and Fatboy.

Gold Tech 1.JPG

Here is my 1946-49 Fat Handle Gold Tech. It's an old picture, but I had to show it off.

Would that be the 84 or the 109 model? I find they shave a little differently but it may be the one with the Black Plastic under the blade tray makes that head unique. Haven't shaved with the 109 that has the all metal head. I agree, they are better than the either of the other two you mentioned. I hope they have the same longevity as the Slim and Fatboy.
I prefer the head-heavy balance of the 109.

Top Bottom