What's new

1954 Gillette Tech surprise

I recently purchased my first vintage Gillette to see what all the buzz is about. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised, as I was expecting the razor to be an overhyped letdown. Much to my surprise, I had a very nice first shave with it!

I'm not sure why so many compare the Gilette Tech to the Feather AS D2. I have owned a Feather AS D2 and find it nothing like the Tech. To me, the Tech is MUCH more efficient and not nearly as picky on angle. Very glad I decided to give the Tech a try. My only regret is that I didn't go with a fat handle version... I didn't realize how skinny the handles on these vintage Gillettes can be!

I recently purchased my first vintage Gillette to see what all the buzz is about. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised, as I was expecting the razor to be an overhyped letdown. Much to my surprise, I had a very nice first shave with it!

I'm not sure why so many compare the Gilette Tech to the Feather AS D2. I have owned a Feather AS D2 and find it nothing like the Tech. To me, the Tech is MUCH more efficient and not nearly as picky on angle. Very glad I decided to give the Tech a try. My only regret is that I didn't go with a fat handle version... I didn't realize how skinny the handles on these vintage Gillettes can be!
Congratulations on finding the legendary Tech!

The longest and most widely produced Solid Bar DE in history, produced from 1938 to the present day. The Tech head albeit with a plastic handle is still produced by Gillette as the Indian 7 O'clock Sterling and Gillette China make an identical model called the Gillette Super Blue.
proxy.php

To the present
proxy.php

The most remarkably varied family of razors ever made. The Tech has spawned a huge variety of clones. The AS-D2 copies the Tech head, and does it very expensively, without IMO any great utility except for excellent materials and finish.

But you can't beat a genuine Tech (except arguably for the 1946 Star/PAL 100, but that's a whole different story :wink2:)

So yes,

My Friend Sport GIF by UFC

Last edited:
B

Barney14

The longest and most widely produced Solid Bar DE in history, produced from 1938 to the present day. The Tech head albeit with a plastic handle is still produced by Gillette as the Indian 7 O'clock Sterling and Gillette China make an identical model called the Gillette Super Blue.
proxy.php

To the present
proxy.php

The most remarkably varied family of razors ever made. The Tech has spawned a huge variety of clones. The AS-D2 copies the Tech head, and does it very expensively, without IMO any great utility except for excellent materials and finish.

But you can't beat a genuine Tech (except arguably for the 1946 Star/PAL 100, but that's a whole different story :wink2:)

So yes,

I went down a similar route, Tech, Star and then the GC 0.68 which for me was Tech like, at this point I thought I had found the perfect razor...... then I bought a vintage 7o'clock OC as a travel razor, it's brilliant just about the right amount of blade feel, easy to use, safer than Mavis Riley and vintage, it has history and character that the modern stuff just doesn't have.

The GC 0.68 was sold and another 7o'clock purchased for everyday use, the pair cost me £50, best easiest shaves and a pleasure to use.

For me the 7o'clock is the open comb Tech, more efficient, more feel but no bite.

B

Barney14

The open comb Tech is the NEW SC! Very similar geometry, but more solid construction and with the open comb. If you haven't tried one of those, I think you might really like one.

I've got a replated NEW SC and it's a favorite.
I had a replated one too and a LC I liked both but the 7OC just edges it but not much in it to be honest, they are all so much nicer to use than some modern razors

We all know what will happen next....
My advice would be, "run away, run away"
I remember a decade ago finding what I thought would work and being happy And leaving for a while. Then coming back and getting a few I wanted to try (didn’t have a simple cheap post war tech or 40s superspeed) and keeping my eye out for the ”cute” Milady TTO I wanted.

Then I saw the cheap red tip rocket, the cheap toggle, the dirt cheap hybrid tech, oh and that $30 near NOS slim, etc etc

I remember a decade ago finding what I thought would work and being happy And leaving for a while. Then coming back and getting a few I wanted to try (didn’t have a simple cheap post war tech or 40s superspeed) and keeping my eye out for the ”cute” Milady TTO I wanted.

Then I saw the cheap red tip rocket, the cheap toggle, the dirt cheap hybrid tech, oh and that $30 near NOS slim, etc etc
This in no way sounds familiar to my journey....
Oh wait, what''s this?:w00t:

proxy.php

To the present
proxy.php

So yes,

Interesting, does it shave the same as an actual Tech? Can I buy the 7 o'clock new and throw a brass handle on it to create my own frankin tech?

Interesting, does it shave the same as an actual Tech? Can I buy the 7 o'clock new and throw a brass handle on it to create my own frankin tech?
Well it is an actual Tech. It's just that since Gillette (actually Proctor & Gamble now, Gillette is just a name, an empty shell) got bored with their glorious DE heritage and have been pushing carts for 4 decades, they just re-branded it to "developing" countries. It's a real Tech head, it has the 4 little ears, one on each corner of the end cap, securing your blade, and all the Tech head features.

It gives a great shave.

A lot of the guys here use them with custom handles, so yep, get one asap.

You should be able to pick one up for a fiver, tops.

Re-edited lol

Last edited:

Well, it is the same basic design on the razor head. The new ones are not made as well in terms of materials and construction. Vintage Techs up until around the early 1960s were solid brass with thicker metal parts.

Another modern Tech is the Gillette Blue made in China. Very cheap to buy if you know where to look. Once again with aluminum, zamak and plastic construction (blech!). For a couple of bucks brand new, that's what you get.

My vintage Techs cost me somewhere between $8-15 each and shave well even after 70+ years. They have been taken care of, though, not beat all to heck.

Last edited:
Well, it is the same basic design on the razor head. The new ones are not made as well in terms of materials and construction. Vintage Techs up until around the early 1960s were solid brass with thicker metal parts.

Another modern Tech is the Gillette Blue made in China. Very cheap to buy if you know where to look. Once again with aluminum, zamak and plastic construction (blech!). For a couple of bucks brand new, that's what you get.

My vintage Techs cost me somewhere between $8-15 each and shave well even after 70+ years. They have been taken care of, though, not beat all to heck.
Now I'm curious to try one of these cheap ones before I look for a real one. Seems like Aliexpress has some. I hope they are legit.

Top Bottom