What's new

New LC impression - more aggressive than I expected

Just had the 2nd shave with my New LC. The first one was a little rough as I didn't treat the razor with enough respect, subconsciously thinking of it as yet another Gillette mildie.

This time, I put it on a longer, heavier handle (which typically helps me with not applying extra pressure).

Started with a Feather on its 6th use. Expected it to be smooth and safe, like the 5th one was in a mild razor. In LC, though, it felt like shaving with a lid of a tin can.

So I tossed the Feather and installed an Indian Astra SP on its 2nd use.

The shave was far better, but felt very close and I did get several weepers. I almost never get weepers anymore. Not just under the chin, which is my trouble spot, but even on the cheek. Luckily they all went away after a cold water wash.

The alum block, to my surprise, hardly produced any stinging at all.

Now about an hour and a half later, my skin feels good, although I can feel some tenderness to touch.

My benchmark razors are Parker Variant OC and Baili 131 or Maggard V3A (very similar in feel and performance).

Parker is very smooth, very efficient, doesn't feel aggressive, leaves skin feeling as if there was no shave at all.

Baili and Maggard both feel pretty aggressive (that is, lots of felt blade presence and loud feedback) but are actually pretty forgiving, even mild, and also very efficient razors. All bark, little if any bite.

This particular New LC both feels and is aggressive. Also extremely efficient, almost no cleanup required after the first three passes. It's been a while since I used R41 the last time, but they may be similar - if so, it's definitely not a daily driver for me.

IMG_3409.jpeg

I've only had a couple shaves with my New long comb and it felt more aggressive than I expected as well. It has reasonable blade rigidity, so I didn't have chatter, which might have made me overconfident too.

I noticed that the blade comes out without much bend to it, so using a normal handle angle, my first shaves were steeper than usually works for me. I raised the handle angle further from my face and the next shave was better. I think that got me closer to a regular angle. Perhaps give that a try with your next shave.

I've only had a couple shaves with my New long comb and it felt more aggressive than I expected as well. It has reasonable blade rigidity, so I didn't have chatter, which might have made me overconfident too.

I noticed that the blade comes out without much bend to it, so using a normal handle angle, my first shaves were steeper than usually works for me. I raised the handle angle further from my face and the next shave was better. I think that got me closer to a regular angle. Perhaps give that a try with your next shave.

Thanks. Yes, I noticed that it likes shallower angles.

It's interesting that all of my vintage Gillettes seem to be either too mild (Post-War Tech, Super 109) or too aggressive (pre-War Tech, New LC) while the modern razors all seem to fall into that sweet spot in-between. Browsing this forum, it seems most people's experiences are the other way around...

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I needed to change blades to permasharps before any open comb really started agreeing with me.
You might also like: Voshkod, Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum and my latest run with Dorco Primes also had good results. They are neither top sharpest or most cushioned but a very good and safe combo of both. Greencult V2 with plate IV e.g. worked out nicely.

I've only used the English made LC New but it's a little bit more aggressive than people give it credit for.
It lulls you into thinking it's mild, with no obvious exposure or blade gap, but delivers something closer to a medium+

View attachment 1810337
Great razors. I have the one on the left albeit the American version. Mine also has the barrel in the handle the wrong way around. Was that more common? I thought somebody took a soldering iron to it and put it in upside down yet here is one with the same orientation.
It is my favorite razor by far at the moment. Have only tried it with the Gillette PPI Permasharp and to me it is a match made in heaven.

Yes, give it time, practice using it. Hard to really judge a razor after only a couple of shaves.
Keep the other products consistent as well: prep, soap, brush, blade, etc

Well this morning it was pretty brutal, like when I just started wet shaving. A painful spot under the chin, and what was just a non-bleeding red spot on skin yesterday scabbed over by the morning.

So, I took out my other OC - Parker Variant - and proceeded to have a smooth, efficient, problem free BBS shave.

Which makes me question the wisdom of experimenting with different razors when I already have the one that works…

Well this morning it was pretty brutal, like when I just started wet shaving. A painful spot under the chin, and what was just a non-bleeding red spot on skin yesterday scabbed over by the morning.

So, I took out my other OC - Parker Variant - and proceeded to have a smooth, efficient, problem free BBS shave.

Which makes me question the wisdom of experimenting with different razors when I already have the one that works…
My counterpoint to this is that a too-close shave when you're just starting out with a razor is a good sign. It means that, when you tame it, it will still deliver a close shave. A razor that struggles to shave close enough on its first uses, by contrast, will probably always struggle.

My counterpoint to this is that a too-close shave when you're just starting out with a razor is a good sign. It means that, when you tame it, it will still deliver a close shave. A razor that struggles to shave close enough on its first uses, by contrast, will probably always struggle.
I wasn’t very clear I’m afraid… all of these things that bothered me this morning were from Sunday morning’s shave…. I was mauled a little worse than it felt at first.

I am taking a break, it’s only Parkers for the next week or so.

If you're not used to very efficient razors, it's understandable to find it a bit aggressive than most razors you've used. I've had a LC a long time ago and it was one of my favorite Gillette razors at the time. The efficiency was decent and it wasn't as uncomfortable as the Old Types. Try using it with a milder blade, try experimenting with a different angle and use it as gently as possible.

My experience was the same as yours. A little scary at first.

I use Vintage Gillettes exclusively and have a few that some would consider aggressive/effective including a Red Tip SS.

Most of my other razors deliver a rather nice drama free shave.

My first try with the LC was a little bloody and I recall my skin burned for a few hours even after some Nivea Balm.

I decided that I needed to be a little more vigilant with this razor. After a few more shaves I got a shave that was a real eye opener for me and set a new standard for a close BBS shave.
I needed to slow down. Listen to the razor. Have confidence. I think confidence can go a long way. Unfortunately this takes time and some level of success.

I read your post earlier today so I thought I should revisit my old friend (New LC).

I put in a new Nacet and gave myself a very nice 2 pass shave. No blood but I did have some sting. It just feels like I got a little to much sun on my face. That has been similar to every other shave I've had with this razor.

Of course there could be clamping issues with your particular razor or some other flaw that may be affecting things.

You compared your shave to the Parker.
I know that before I used this razor (I have only safety bar razors) I needed to relearn a few things. I could throw most of my other razors at my face and get a decent shave:lemo:. Not the case with the LC. I needed to spend a little time with it and be more conscientious about what I was doing. Comparing it to my other razors did not help a thing.

I'd like to try a short comb New but haven't had the opportunity.

Give it a few more tries. I know a lot of folks consider these a very nice razor.

Then again, I've had a few Old Styles including a Bulldog that I could not tame as much as I wanted to.

Dirty

My experience was the same as yours. A little scary at first.

I use Vintage Gillettes exclusively and have a few that some would consider aggressive/effective including a Red Tip SS.

Most of my other razors deliver a rather nice drama free shave.

My first try with the LC was a little bloody and I recall my skin burned for a few hours even after some Nivea Balm.

I decided that I needed to be a little more vigilant with this razor. After a few more shaves I got a shave that was a real eye opener for me and set a new standard for a close BBS shave.
I needed to slow down. Listen to the razor. Have confidence. I think confidence can go a long way. Unfortunately this takes time and some level of success.

I read your post earlier today so I thought I should revisit my old friend (New LC).

I put in a new Nacet and gave myself a very nice 2 pass shave. No blood but I did have some sting. It just feels like I got a little to much sun on my face. That has been similar to every other shave I've had with this razor.

Of course there could be clamping issues with your particular razor or some other flaw that may be affecting things.

You compared your shave to the Parker.
I know that before I used this razor (I have only safety bar razors) I needed to relearn a few things. I could throw most of my other razors at my face and get a decent shave:lemo:. Not the case with the LC. I needed to spend a little time with it and be more conscientious about what I was doing. Comparing it to my other razors did not help a thing.

I'd like to try a short comb New but haven't had the opportunity.

Give it a few more tries. I know a lot of folks consider these a very nice razor.

Then again, I've had a few Old Styles including a Bulldog that I could not tame as much as I wanted to.

Dirty
Well some of my razors are considered "aggressive" (although different people use different definitions for that). Such as Maggard V3A or Baili 131 / 171. Definitely not something that I can just "throw" to my face.

Need to take a better look at this razor and compare.

Top Bottom