What's new

More blade feel than Mamba 70

Hi there, my first DE razor was the mamba 70 from razorback. I enjoyed it for a year or two. Just recently I bought a cheap rapira swedish super steel razor. What I noticed is that with the same blade I got much more blade feel with the rapira razor, and hence I could feel what I was doing more. It is also more aggressive I think and thus felt like a closer shave.

Can anyone recommend a razor with more razor feel and a bit more aggressiveness than the mamba 70. Ideally I'd like to make it high quality stainless steel. I am only familiar with razorock razors and so was thinking maybe the game changer 84?

What other recommendations would folks have? Ideally less than $70.

Thanks

@rnjd77 You could try shimming the razor and/or try it with a KAI blade to begin with.
If you can't feel the blade in the Mamba 70, you could try and see if you can feel the top cap and base plate on your skin.
You might also want to experiment with lather a bit - you don't really need a very cushy lather with this razor and mostly need slickness.
Heck, if your hair is hydrated enough, you could probably just rub any soap bar on damp skin wthout lathering it up afterwards and shave like that to feel the blade more.

Out of curiosity, have you tried different blades with it?
Which ones are currently your favourite?

Most razors have more bladefeel than the Mambas. If you want stainless and that price point, a Game Changer is a great idea, but if you're coming from a Mamba, I'd suggest going with the Game Changer 76 first. Then you can decide if you want less/more and go for the 68 or 84.

Last edited:
@rnjd77 You could try shimming the razor and/or try it with a KAI blade to begin with.
If you can't feel the blade in the Mamba 70, you could try and see if you can feel the top cap and base plate on your skin.
You might also want to experiment with lather a bit - you don't really need a very cushy lather with this razor and mostly need slickness.
Heck, if your hair is hydrated enough, you could probably just rub any soap bar on damp skin wthout lathering it up afterwards and shave like that to feel the blade more.

Out of curiosity, have you tried different blades with it?
Which ones are currently your favourite?
Thank you. In terms of blades, I like the green Gillette 7 o clocks, and the rapira swedish super steel. Also have the Astra platinum which is nice but maybe too smooth for this razor. Out of those three the Gillette is probably the sharpest and best shave with the rapira nice too but less sharp I think

I thought the Mamba 70 has more blade feel than the GC, both 68 and 84. So I would look elsewhere, for example the Rocca? Or Lupo 95?

The Lupo 95 has plenty of blade feel. Also, call me nuts, but the Weishi TTO I have has the most blade exposure and blade feel of any razor I have.

Also, the SLOC has lots of blade feel.

In my experience Mamba 70 has a neutral blade exposure. You have wrong expectations from your Mamba 70, otherwise an excellent shaver. It works differently than a positive blade exposure razor.
Game Changer 84-P, to be more accurate. Well... they don't call it P for nothing. Yes, if you look for blade feel, 84-P will give you that.

In my experience Mamba 70 has a neutral blade exposure. You have wrong expectations from your Mamba 70, otherwise an excellent shaver. It works differently than a positive blade exposure razor.
Game Changer 84-P, to be more accurate. Well... they don't call it P for nothing. Yes, if you look for blade feel, 84-P will give you that.
Thanks. Can you educate me, what does neutral vs positive mean for the shave? I do enjoy the mamba for it's smoothness but I think my face can take more as I generally shave every other day. Anything else you'd recommend.

It is difficult to find better value than RazoRock stainless razors. If you are after more blade feel go with any GameChanger models since all have designator P in their names. P stands for Positive (blade exposure) and that means blade forward.
Try relaxing the skin when shaving with Mamba and also pay attention keeping the same angle when you feel the blade engaging. See if it makes a difference.

Most razors have more bladefeel than the Mambas. If you want stainless and that price point, a Game Changer is a great idea, but if you're coming from a Mamba, I'd suggest going with the Game Changer 76 first. Then you can decide if you want less/more and go for the 68 or 84.
I agree with this although I haven’t tried a Mamba. GC 76. The 84 is a bigger jump looking at RR scale. 2nd choice but still good - BBS A.

Since you've been shaving for a couple years, it should be OK. Go easy when you start, it is a step up.

The Mamba 70 is neutral and I thought it was similar to the GC 68p, but a little harder to find the angle. If you were just starting, I'd say wait for the 76. If the 84p is too much, you can always get just a different base plate.

Top Bottom