What's new

1954 Gillette Tech surprise

Now I'm curious to try one of these cheap ones before I look for a real one. Seems like Aliexpress has some. I hope they are legit.

They are a genuine Gillette product, just made of really inexpensive materials (in China). You might want to buy two or three while you are at it.

I bought two Techs, one 1960 Post-War with the skinny ball end-handle, and another one Pre-War with "fat" handle.

I completely agree that the ball-end handle is too skinny. The fat handle is great.

However, my post-war is extremely mild. I can still get BBS with it but this requires extra couple minutes of cleanup even with a sharp razor like Feather. It is indeed somewhat picky on the angle, although getting the right angle is intuitive.

I read somewhere that Gillette kept narrowing down the effective shaving angle until the early 1960s, if that's the case your Tech may be a little less picky than mine.

The pre-war is a very different beast, though, it's much more efficient and more aggressive. It is still a mild feeling shaver but you have to treat it with respect just like any other razor. On the other hand, it seems that my postwar would let me get away with almost careless shaving as long as I don't do something really stupid.

Well it is an actual Tech. It's just that since Gillette (actually Proctor & Gamble now, Gillette is just a name, an empty shell) got bored with their glorious DE heritage and have been pushing carts for 4 decades, they just re-branded it to "developing" countries. It's a real Tech head, it has the 4 little ears, one on each corner of the end cap, securing your blade, and all the Tech head features.

It gives a great shave.

A lot of the guys here use them with custom handles, so yep, get one asap.

You should be able to pick one up for a fiver, tops.

Re-edited lol
Mr. Simon, do you think it is worth seeking out a genuine modern Gillette if I already own a dollar store copy of the same razor? I like the little cheapo, but the head is definitely not well made, and I wouldn't bother buying a nice handle to use with it.

I'm not sure why so many compare the Gilette Tech to the Feather AS D2. I have owned a Feather AS D2 and find it nothing like the Tech. ...

The Tech and ASD2 are not exactly the same, but to me the two razors are share more similarities than differences, and the ASD2 is the closest currently manufactured stainless steel razor to the Tech.

I'm with you on the handle. You need to get a pre-war Tech, or two, or...???

The pre-war is a very different beast, though, it's much more efficient and more aggressive. It is still a mild feeling shaver but you have to treat it with respect just like any other razor. On the other hand, it seems that my postwar would let me get away with almost careless shaving as long as I don't do something really stupid.

Seems about right. 🙂👍

The pre-war Tech is my vintage "weapon of choice". Perfect mix of mild and efficient...at least for me.

Mr. Simon, do you think it is worth seeking out a genuine modern Gillette if I already own a dollar store copy of the same razor? I like the little cheapo, but the head is definitely not well made, and I wouldn't bother buying a nice handle to use with it.
The Assured Dollar Tree three-piece and the modern Gillettes shave differently. They look very similar but behave differently. I much prefer my Gillette Super Blue three piece to the Dollar Tree version. It is far more comfortable.

Seems about right. 🙂👍

The pre-war Tech is my vintage "weapon of choice". Perfect mix of mild and efficient...at least for me.
So, I’ll just throw in another variable - the New LC that I received yesterday and just used for the first time this morning. I’d say it’s the most efficient (but also aggressive) Gillette I used yet. I believe it can also be mild if paired with a different handle - with the shorter original handle I think I applied too much pressure at times, longer handles give me the leverage I need to completely relax and let the razor do its job. (I should probably try the fat handle from that pre-war with it first).

Between these two I have the best vintage Gillette experience for my taste. The post-war is a bit too mild, and the Black Beaty is a bit too modern. Now I need to do a shave-off and pick my personal favorite vintage Gillette.

So, I’ll just throw in another variable - the New LC that I received yesterday and just used for the first time this morning. I’d say it’s the most efficient (but also aggressive) Gillette I used yet. I believe it can also be mild if paired with a different handle - with the shorter original handle I think I applied too much pressure at times, longer handles give me the leverage I need to completely relax and let the razor do its job. (I should probably try the fat handle from that pre-war with it first).

Between these two I have the best vintage Gillette experience for my taste. The post-war is a bit too mild, and the Black Beaty is a bit too modern. Now I need to do a shave-off and pick my personal favorite vintage Gillette.

I've owned a few open comb razors and the only remaining in my collection are vintage Gillette: New long and short comb, Old Type, and Goodwill.

The vintage Gillettes are the most well behaved open comb razors I have used and I don't find any of them terribly aggressive. I would categorize them as mid-level...and great shavers.

I've owned a few open comb razors and the only remaining in my collection are vintage Gillette: New long and short comb, Old Type, and Goodwill.

The vintage Gillettes are the most well behaved open comb razors I have used and I don't find any of them terribly aggressive. I would categorize them as mid-level...and great shavers.
I just recently bought an OC Variant and it’s by far the best razor I have, OC or not. Extremely smooth and efficient. The SB Variant was my favorite razor for years, and the OC is even better.

The New LC feels like that Variant on a high blade gap setting, but less smooth (although after just one shave, I can’t tell whether what I felt was the blade presence or the teeth themselves). This is not to say that it’s a rough shave, which it’s not. But I can certainly “feel” it more than any other Gillette. So mid-aggression, high efficiency. (Aggression being the feel of the razor while shaving).

I also used the same blade that I had in that Variant (Astra SP) on its 4th run. Astra tends to provide the smoothest shaves on 2nd through 4th or 5th uses. So if it felt aggressive with that blade, I guess it was aggressive.

I just recently bought an OC Variant and it’s by far the best razor I have, OC or not. Extremely smooth and efficient. The SB Variant was my favorite razor for years, and the OC is even better.

The New LC feels like that Variant on a high blade gap setting, but less smooth (although after just one shave, I can’t tell whether what I felt was the blade presence or the teeth themselves). This is not to say that it’s a rough shave, which it’s not. But I can certainly “feel” it more than any other Gillette. So mid-aggression, high efficiency. (Aggression being the feel of the razor while shaving).

I also used the same blade that I had in that Variant (Astra SP) on its 4th run. Astra tends to provide the smoothest shaves on 2nd through 4th or 5th uses. So if it felt aggressive with that blade, I guess it was aggressive.

If you like the New LC, it may be worth trying the New SC. Most people that like them have a preference for one or the other, but it's difficult to predict in advance which you will like the most.

With the New, you shouldn't really feel the teeth. Usually, the blade will engage the skin and the teeth will barely touch.

The Tech and ASD2 are not exactly the same, but to me the two razors are share more similarities than differences, and the ASD2 is the closest currently manufactured stainless steel razor to the Tech.

I'm with you on the handle. You need to get a pre-war Tech, or two, or...???
So far loving the Tech. I am getting very nice 2 pass shaves out of it, love it! It is certainly my current weapon of choice. I still rotate with my Rocca and DE89, but when I feel like I don't have time to mess around and need a quick, serious shave, I go to the Tech. Think I will have to try a pre-war tech!

I have several Gillette Techs and heard that the best of the bunch was the English Flat Bottom version. They are hard to find and not inexpensive. Recently I was lucky enough to find one (1948, in a bakelite case with blade containers). I had the razor re-plated...so it is essentially new. Bottom line: IMHO, it is the best shaving of the Gillette Tech razors, and is one of the best razors I have ever shaved with...out of 60+ vintage, artisan, modern, SE, DE, stainless, titanium, expensive, super inexpensive, etc., in my collection. I highly recommend this version of the legendary Tech!

I had a 1954 too. I regretted selling it so much I bought a 1961.
I recently purchased my first vintage Gillette to see what all the buzz is about. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised, as I was expecting the razor to be an overhyped letdown. Much to my surprise, I had a very nice first shave with it!

I'm not sure why so many compare the Gilette Tech to the Feather AS D2. I have owned a Feather AS D2 and find it nothing like the Tech. To me, the Tech is MUCH more efficient and not nearly as picky on angle. Very glad I decided to give the Tech a try. My only regret is that I didn't go with a fat handle version... I didn't realize how skinny the handles on these vintage Gillettes can be

They are a genuine Gillette product, just made of really inexpensive materials (in China). You might want to buy two or three while you are at it.
If you need more razors…

But if you don’t… and you spend a little time looking… you can get real Techs for the same money as a Stirling or less.

I got 4 out of my 6 Techs for $3 or less (one for $1). I spend more money to buy fun handles for my Techs than I did for the original razors.

You can’t have too many Techs because you can put all manner of handles on them. I have some of the lightest Techs ever, and some of the heaviest… and enjoy them all. I keep the nicest ones together, and use the other ones (often travel Techs) for experimenting with.

Top Bottom