What's new

Gillette Tech early 1960's vs other razors

I have been shaving with DE razors for about 5 years, but don't own that many yet! I wanted to stop throwing away plastic, so it feels weird to buy a lot of razors, but I can't resist a few.

I now have two early 1960's Gillette Techs. I thought they would be milder than they are, based on posts on this forum. Of the razors I have:

Karve Christopher Bradly B plate - mild and great shave; my favorite

Karve CB C plate - just a tad more aggressive than B, second mildest; second favorite (tie)

Merkur 34C - medium mild; sometimes give me weepers on the neck

King C. Gillette - medium

Gillette Tech 1960's - medium; pretty often gives me weepers on the neck (second favorite, tie, just because it is THAT cool to own and shave with a vintage razor)

Baili 171 (the numbers change a lot, but it is a newer Tech-like razor) - special case: almost no blade feel but huge blade gap, and some blemishes on my face can get caught in it no matter how careful I am. I can't use it for that reason.

Viking Blade the Chieftain - way too harsh for me! It was the first razor I got, and it is very uncomfortable and cuts me a lot. I stuck with this one for a couple of months thinking it was just me and my technique. But it was not. I replaced it with the Merkur 34C, which, for me, is enormously more comfortable - I was simply amazed when I switched, and quite delighted.

That's my whole list. Sort of pathetic compared to most people on this forum! As is always stated: YMMV. And my lack of DE razors should not be confused with a lack of interest in this hobby!

Anyway, my main point is that the Tech isn't particularly mild for me, even though it has that reputation (which I might have gotten wrong, for all I know). My next purchase, as currently planned, will be either one of the adjustable Gillette's, or the Tatara Masamune. I'd go for something by Italian Barber, but their web site is so annoying that I can't bring myself to buy anything from them, even from a different vender. The Henson is interesting, but the model does carry the number 13, and so I would consider it an unlucky item to own hahahaha. All suggestions are welcome.

It seems like you are looking for a mild razor. I would wholeheartedly recommend the Henson AL13+. It's an excellent razor when paired with a sharp blade. I've been at this 2 years, and the Henson and my pre-war Gillette Tech are my 2 favorite razors. Some blades pair better with one or the other. I've PIF'd my other razors that I have purchased because I just don't find them as comfortable or as interesting as these two. That being said, I have never purchased a high-end razor as there are other places where I would rather spend my disposable income and my Henson does all that I need it to.

@Gamagrass Your list of razors is in no way pathetic. Everyone had to start somewhere. Let's see your list in 12-18 months and I dare you to call it pathetic! ;)

While I can't add any worthwhile input on modern razors that you listed as under consideration, I can say that a Gillette Slim is a super choice. IMO, it's a better shaver than a "Fatboy" and is pretty easy to find one in good condition for a good price.

Good luck with your decision and don't give up on the Gillette Tech. I've had good luck with mine. Perhaps a different blade would be worth a try, I like a sharp blade like a Nacet or a GSB.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My next purchase ... will be either one of the adjustable Gillettes, or the Tatara Masamune.

I'd consider you try a US Aristocrat, it's in the same realm as Tech and above mentioned adjustables. I reach for one often.
Depends on how hard the vintage bug bites.
Can't really compare to a Tatara, never tried one as I haven't been buying anything over $75 for years.

There is no need to buy more razors. Master those that you have.
True. Always.

I now have two early 1960's Gillette Techs. I thought they would be milder than they are, based on posts on this forum.

Gillette Tech 1960's - medium; pretty often gives me weepers on the neck (second favorite, tie, just because it is THAT cool to own and shave with a vintage razor)...

The Techs have a narrow effective shaving angle (especially the 1960s ones). This causes many people to miss the angle. So they say they can't get a close shave and they have to make a bunch of passes to compensate. Actually, if you stay in the correct angle range, and use a good sharp blade, you can get a close shave with a Tech. I like the earlier models a bit more, but most of the all-brass Techs can be very decent razors.

BTW, razors don't give you weepers, you give them to yourself. Try a steeper angle with the Techs. The razor guard should flatten and stretch the skin in advance of the blade. That will help prevent cuts. Make sure you lather is good and slick so the razor cannot skip around.

You might like to try a pre-war Tech sometime. They shave slightly different.

Shaving with a steeper angle may give better results with the Baili razor, too.

Last edited:
There are Techs that have a slightly wider gap compared to other Techs, probably you have one of those. That being said, I would say that the weepers are due to a blade that is too dull or maybe you overstretch the skin and apply too much pressure. Also, the Tech likes it when you ride the cap.

I don't really think you need to get a 100 dollar razor. Get a Gillette Flare tip or a Slim twist, they give marvelous shaves. I paid 20 dollars each for those razors. I don't know which blade you're using, but I suggest just skipping the fuss and getting the Gillette Platinum until you get the technique down, you can't miss with those blades.

The Techs have a narrow effective shaving angle (especially the 1960s ones). This causes many people to miss the angle.
Agreed. I had a 1960s tech that I ended up PIFing because I got better shaves with my pre-war Tech. That was pretty early in my journey. I now wonder if I should have held onto it and stuck with trying to find the angle, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get close with it. But, again, I blame that on me and my impatience and not the razor. That being said, my pre-war is a workhorse that is easy and comfortable to use.

Check out some of the orignial Gillette Tech packaging:

1687383703107.png

Hmm, "solid guard bar smooths skin ahead of shaving edge". That would mean the makers intended for the guard bar to be in contact with the face. That doesn't happen when riding the cap. If you don't stretch the skin some other way, riding the cap can make it easier to get cut.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
the pre-war was a more aggressive shave than the post-war ones. Here you can see why.
Not convinced yet. Good pic, though. Can you tell us what you're seeing that visibly shows this?
Those two nickel ones seem nearly identical but my eyes aren't what they used to be.
The gold one may offer a bit more blade support but without seeing the top cap clamping the blade I can't be sure.

The Tech is often touted as a mild razor and I completely disagree with that assertion. A super speed is smoother to me. Neither of the above seem to grip the blade as the Karve does though and I think that’s the key to a smooth effective shaver.

But that Karve B plate….that is one smooth and effective operator. You may end up not ever finding a razor that good, that’s the smoothest DE I’ve ever tried.

Can you tell us what you're seeing that visibly shows this?
You are seeing the plate differences fine. The left plate is a flat bottom, whereas the pre-war is arced but you cannot see this in the picture. I was thinking that the only visible difference, what you referred to as blade support, could account for the differing performances of the pre- versus post-war. I used both the etched zamak and non-etched brass caps with similar results.

I have been shaving with DE razors for about 5 years, but don't own that many yet! I wanted to stop throwing away plastic, so it feels weird to buy a lot of razors, but I can't resist a few.

I now have two early 1960's Gillette Techs. I thought they would be milder than they are, based on posts on this forum. Of the razors I have:

Karve Christopher Bradly B plate - mild and great shave; my favorite

Karve CB C plate - just a tad more aggressive than B, second mildest; second favorite (tie)

Merkur 34C - medium mild; sometimes give me weepers on the neck

King C. Gillette - medium

Gillette Tech 1960's - medium; pretty often gives me weepers on the neck (second favorite, tie, just because it is THAT cool to own and shave with a vintage razor)

Baili 171 (the numbers change a lot, but it is a newer Tech-like razor) - special case: almost no blade feel but huge blade gap, and some blemishes on my face can get caught in it no matter how careful I am. I can't use it for that reason.

Viking Blade the Chieftain - way too harsh for me! It was the first razor I got, and it is very uncomfortable and cuts me a lot. I stuck with this one for a couple of months thinking it was just me and my technique. But it was not. I replaced it with the Merkur 34C, which, for me, is enormously more comfortable - I was simply amazed when I switched, and quite delighted.

That's my whole list. Sort of pathetic compared to most people on this forum! As is always stated: YMMV. And my lack of DE razors should not be confused with a lack of interest in this hobby!

Anyway, my main point is that the Tech isn't particularly mild for me, even though it has that reputation (which I might have gotten wrong, for all I know). My next purchase, as currently planned, will be either one of the adjustable Gillette's, or the Tatara Masamune. I'd go for something by Italian Barber, but their web site is so annoying that I can't bring myself to buy anything from them, even from a different vender. The Henson is interesting, but the model does carry the number 13, and so I would consider it an unlucky item to own hahahaha. All suggestions are welcome.
I highly suggest a Henson AL13 + (mild). It shaves better for me than my 1946-49 Tech (though that is pretty good). You can get the Ti22 mild (+) from Henson if you want to spend the money. It is a bit weightier.

13 is not an unlucky number. Many things in history have been great and had the number 13. This got to be thought of as unlucky because the 13th was the day the French King had all of the Knights Templar arrested so he could get their money. It was only a problem for them.

Thanks for all of the input. My next purchase will be a slim, I think. It's possible that I'll never beat the Karve for my face, as pointed out. But it's so cool to own a vintage Gillette. YMMV
I've have shaved a slim since 1969, lost it, and then bought another one for nostalgia. It isn't my favorite razor to use, at all. The Tech is great, but I will get nicks and can get some irritation from the Slim. YMMV, but be warned. It shaves okay for me, but there are better.

Top Bottom