What's new

One simple change...

There's lots of good advice here on B&B to help folks improve their shaves with DE razors. One of those is to "map" your hair growth directions so you know when you are going WTG/XTG/ATG.

For a while, I didn't pay as much attention to hair growth direction when shaving my neck area and just went "north to south" as I had always done (and the only way I had ever seen it done, such as in commercials, etc.). As it turns out, that's an "against the grain" pass for most of my neck hair, and this was causing some irritation.

One simple change: My first pass on my neck is now "south to north." This has markedly improved my DE shaves!

Maybe this helps someone...

This is fundamental B&B advice, thanks for underscoring it!

It is both simple and also has depth. One can get a first-order beard map and the improvement in comfort and results are huge. Then the more you look at your grain, the more one finds micro-grains. For instance, the whiskers at the corners of my mouth grow diagonally down/outward, which is different for just that little patch. My more safe razors can plow right through that, but I need to be aware of micro-grains for my more aggressive razors.

Is there a bottom to this razor (rabbit) hole we've all dived in? I sure can't see it!

🤪🤣

This is fundamental B&B advice, thanks for underscoring it!
For sure!

Everyone I have ever seen (in commercials, TV shows, etc.) always goes north-to-south on the neck with the first pass. For me, that's against the grain and is a good way to cause myself skin irritation.

Don't be afraid to mix it up and find out what works for your individual face!

There's lots of good advice here on B&B to help folks improve their shaves with DE razors. One of those is to "map" your hair growth directions so you know when you are going WTG/XTG/ATG.

For a while, I didn't pay as much attention to hair growth direction when shaving my neck area and just went "north to south" as I had always done (and the only way I had ever seen it done, such as in commercials, etc.). As it turns out, that's an "against the grain" pass for most of my neck hair, and this was causing some irritation.

One simple change: My first pass on my neck is now "south to north." This has markedly improved my DE shaves!

Maybe this helps someone...

Nothing is ‘simple’ if if works! ‘Technique’ is a collection of ‘simple’ actions that fit together IMHO!!

I bet it feels better, I cant imagine starting ATG. My neck hair grow from my left ear to right ear basically horizontal. It took me a long time to learn to shave ATG that way, it was really challenging with slant razors. I would like to try straights but fear due to my growth map I may be asking for trouble. I guess I should reach out on the Straight Razor forum and see if anyone has similar issue.

Great to hear you got a handle on it. Man it feels good to find that technique or equipment that is a game changer.

I'd say North to South is not optimal on the neck and jawline for most guys. The neck is notorious for having different grain patterns, whorls or cowlicks, and so on. Watch a video sometime of an expert barber doing a straight razor shave on someone else. They will usually follow the grain where they can, otherwise it's best effort.

Top Bottom