What's new

Shavers Anonymous (the simple life)

Being born post World War II life was simple, let me give couple example of middle class life.

We used public transportation in 5 Burrows of NYC.

Closet in your home was maybe 3 feet wide, it held you hanging cloths.

As child I had two pair of shoes, one was school & dress, one was play.

Dad worked, Mon stayed home, clean home, cooked, took care of kid, or kid, did shopping.

Short trip were walking , long trips were bus, subway, or train.

We had radio for entertainment, record player, TV were not something I had at home until 1958.

Yes we had a few toys, but also mad thing to play with.

Every Boy had pocket knife, and we too to school. No one used their knife as weapon.

We had no fast food, going to restaurant was big treat. Chinese food was a favorite.

"Baby Boomer Romanticizes the Way Things Used To Be, Even Though His Generation Changed Everything"

I have tried a handful of razors and now am back to using the first one I bought. It's a Weishi 9306. I like Bic CP's, Astra SP, Wizmet Super Iridium, and Parker Platinum blades. Fan of MdC, Proraso Blue. Like Proraso Green AS, Lucky Tiger, and PAA Bay Rum. The quest for better has ended for me, but it was fun trying different soaps and razors. Reeling it in is never a bad thing.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
once I have 3017d the ones that don't
I have way too many vintage soaps and aftershaves and there was a time when I tried to use up those I disliked, while retaining my favourites for a 'special occasion'. So, for almost all the time, I used soaps and aftershaves which I disliked, while my favourites sat unused on the shelf; it was literally madness.

It dawned on me that if I was not careful, one day I would pass away and my nearest and dearest would donate my favourite aftershaves to a charity shop without a care, where they would be purchased by some unworthy hipster with a goatee who would use them to deodorise his pet chihuahua. I decided then and there to use my favourites now, for today is the 'special occasion', today, tomorrow, and every day from this day forth. I now use out of favour aftershaves in a reed diffuser as an air freshener, or to deodorise the car, and my least favoured soaps are in the shower. And yet..... I cannot quite stop buying more.

"Baby Boomer Romanticizes the Way Things Used To Be, Even Though His Generation Changed Everything"

Actually I was sharing history of my life, without history were are nothing. Never understood what my Father experienced abord a Liberty Ship during WW-II, got to actually tour a Liberty Ship, gave me a better understand what a spartan life merchant marine underwent during the war. Thing is if you refuse to understand & learn from history. Your generation will make same dumb mistakes previous generation made, and documental for you to learn from.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The 3017 thread is the one that got me started on my reduction journey and can be found here
My Guess... 3017 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-guess-3017.128392/post-1785219
It is just about using up soap, at its most pure you pick one of your soaps and use it every shave until it is all gone before starting on the next one. For me I try and use my 3017 soap 4-5 days a week. I have made friends in this thread and it helps because as you use up each soap you can actually see the results in the form of a lighter shaving shelf.

Actually I was sharing history of my life, without history were are nothing. Never understood what my Father experienced abord a Liberty Ship during WW-II, got to actually tour a Liberty Ship, gave me a better understand what a spartan life merchant marine underwent during the war. Thing is if you refuse to understand & learn from history. Your generation will make same dumb mistakes previous generation made, and documental for you to learn from.

Thanks, I think me and my History degree understand the concept.

I appreciated your post. It's a natural thing to fondly look back on some of the past. Truth is we all stand on the shoulders of giants. Respecting ones elders also shows good character.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
And yet..... I cannot quite stop buying more.
See what I mean? Look what arrived today - 45 sticks of Palmolive shave soap. In this very thread, just yesterday I said, and I quote "I have way too many vintage soaps...."

1712238850598.png

Mike M

See what I mean? Look what arrived today - 45 sticks of Palmolive shave soap. In this very thread, just yesterday I said, and I quote "I have way too many vintage soaps...."

View attachment 1823480
Yeah, now, erm not sure how to say this but that would be an example of the kind of thing I'm trying not to do these days.

Not preaching but have you asked your nearest and dearest what they plan to do with them when you're gone?

Sooner or later I'll get bored with all this stuff and start reducing the collection. I only use one brush and a couple soaps, and will probably drop back to two when I use some up, and either a Slim or a Fatboy is all the razor I need.

I've been giving away razors and blades to people who express interest in getting easier and more comfortable shaves and will probably quit trying to "test" blades so much. 100 Persona Blues will probably last me most of the rest of my life anyway....

Mike M

In all seriousness @EclipseRedRing I know what it's like to have a favourite soap discontinued on you. As soon as I found Fine Lavender Pour Homme it was just after it was discontinued. I do love the soap, but I decided rather than trying to chase every remaining tub of fine tallow soap and hoard them l decided to look for something else and found SV soaps also MdC and even to an extent Stirling. I realised that there are always good soaps out there that will work for me so I don't need to hoard a lifetime supply. I experienced another moment of it when MWF recently reformulated, but I just resisted the urge to buy more. As I found out about the reformulation I was 3017ing my own puck of MWF which had celebrated it's 4th birthday. When you 3017 a soap you realise just how long they last and it gives you an idea just how long your own stash will last hope this helps!

I am far from a minimalist but purge my dens a few times a year. My amazing wife, years ago sets up a budget for my hobbies. Normally I have extra in the budget and I will use it for the wifes wants, or the kids (now young adults). I have been traditional wet shaving for over 50 years. I do like a variety and have a big semi -rotation. I do have to or even want to spend on high end razors for shaving. My fav is still my theirs issard sr and r41 w/ various handles.
When I purge, they go out to family first, then relatives and friends.
BFX ( misfit here...)
But this thread is a great idea, we are here to help and guide each other.

I have never been one to understand why folks have more than 1 or 2 razors or brushes.
I have fallen victim to the soap hoarding, though. I have purged a time or two, or at least traded a few times as well. I am currently trying to sell a big chunk of my stuff right now too. Hopefully I can sell them and enjoy a more limited collection.

I intend to purchase a matching splash for my extro soap I have had for eons with no splash and I must admit this cathedral from A+E truly has my attention, but I may refrain. I myself think as time goes on I am going to continue dwindling down into my main 4-5 daily drivers and call it good.

Mike M

For those of you who may have a problem with aftershave may I introduce you to the aftershave 3017 thread Aftershave 3017 Challenge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/aftershave-3017-challenge.470568/post-7734875 the basic idea being to use a single aftershave until it is used up.
This is one of the most underused threads on the forum and unfortunately due to its nature it could be months between posts as aftershave takes soooooo long to finish. It would be nice to get this thread used more and if you are someone who has too many aftershaves it is a good way to incentivise you to use up your own stash.

Hi,

For me it was one time in a Quarterly Restraint (Q4 2013) and then every year in the Year-Long Restraint that led to my reduction in 'stuff'. I was committed to not buying everything I saw (seemingly) and then slowly evaluating what I already had and letting stuff go.

Stan

Top Bottom