What's new

I feel like I am missing something

Is there a reason that a soap or cream is better than a butter? Would there be any benefit to applying the butter with a brush or would that not make a difference?
I have no first hand experience with shave butter and don't plan on finding out.

Traditional shave soap with high quality ingredients will most likely be far superior in terms of performance.

Based on a quick Google, it doesn't look like a quality shave product. You can keep using it, but I have always felt the lather making process is the key to a good shave.

Regarding blades: Don't go and get another 100 pack without first figuring out what you like. Go to Maggard Razors or West Coast Shaving and get a sample pack. Some of the blades often recommended are the Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blues, and Gillette 7 O'clock green or yellow. Spend some time looking in the Blades sub-forum. While you are placing that order grab an inexpensive synthetic brush and a good cream or soap. I usually recommend creams to beginners as they are easier to lather. Proraso is well-regarded.

You have a Gillette Black Handle SuperSpeed and a Fat Handle Tech. Both are excellent, mild razors that will give you good shaves. The trick is to find the right angle.

"No pressure" means "don't push the razor into your face". Obviously, you need a minimum amount of pressure to maintain contact; that's the amount of pressure you want.

Read the guide linked above, and watch some videos on YouTube. Both will be a tremendous help.
Thank you for the suggestions

First off, two weeks is not really all that much time to get skilled shaving this way. So, maybe you just need to be patient as you gradually improve. Remember, cartridges pivot and automatically maintain the right angle, you have to do that manually with DE razors. If your angle is off, you won't get a comfortable, close shave.

Feathers are one of the most expensive blades and they tend to have a short life. I get a week's worth (6-7) shaves from a Personna Lab Blue blade that cost me $13.50 per hundred. I could get longer, but I like to use fresher blades. Some other blades I like are the BIC Chrome Platinum ($13/100) and the Perma-Sharp Super ($10/100).

I think the average cartridge life for Mach 3 is roughly fifteen shaves, call it two or three weeks for a frequent shaver. I'm amazed you could get over thirty weeks on average. How often do you shave? Once every two weeks? :biggrin:
Thank you for the advice and suggestions. As far as the angle goes I don't think I realized that it matters, I stuck with the first angle that cut the hair and didn't cut the face, which I think was what the guide referred to as "cap riding". I will definitely have to try other angles.

I shave on average two or three times a week but there were definitely some random months in that time where I went without shaving. I was also certainly abusing those cartridges, so long as they shaved they stayed.

I'll admit that I did not read all of the responses, but...

...by my calculations, you got over 7 months out of each cartridge, which is astonishing and certainly not the norm. I can't think of any blade system (other than a straight razor) that has that kind of longetivity.

As I recall, I used to pitch my carts after a couple of weeks of shaving every day, so Gillette loved me as a faithful, frequent, paying customer. In comparison, a single DE blade lasts me nearly two weeks of shaving every-other day, a cost of 10 cents...and delivers a superior shave.

So my response is:

Under your (unusual) circumstances, you should probably stick with cartridge razors. If you're getting a better shave for less $$$, why bother?

Thank you so much for that link, it was very informative. It also looks like there are a lot more variables that I need to work through before declaring that I am getting a worse shave.

The guide mentioned trial/multi packs of razors, is there one with respected types/brands that is recommended?

Just now got a "boar brush" online, one thing I didn't see in the guide was if the brush would properly lather up any type of shaving cream. I still have like eight tubes of Van Der Hagen shave butter so it would be nice if they worked together.

I guess my facial hair is medium/thin, I try not to let it grow longer than a couple of millimeters. I rub hot water on my face, rinse the razor in hot water, aggressively rub on shave butter with my hands. I go with the grain in fairly short strokes, every couple of strokes I rinse the razor off, if it starts consistently tugging anywhere I skip that bit. Second pass, hot water and aggressive shave buttering again, then anywhere I skipped the first pass(usually only one or two small spots) I go with the grain again, cross grain everywhere else.

Thanks again
First of all, lets look at your razors. This should stir a suitable sense of reverence to any potential DE shaver with any sense of soul. Razors are critically important, especially vintages. You seem to have got very lucky with your selection.

The first appears to be a Fat Handled Tech. It may be a "Pre-war" as we call the type here. It looked like this new.
proxy.php

If it has the triangular drainage holes in the base plate it is. You may as well learn the terminology. If they are more narrow and less slotted, it's probably late 40's. This is one of the finest DE razors ever made.

The second appears to be a very late Flare Tip Super Speed, judging from the base plate outer shape, it's one of the last Super Speeds ever made, and is a step up in efficiency from the earlier black handles. Probably mid 1970's.
proxy.php

This is a wonderful razor. It's a TTO (Twist To Open) and belongs to the Super Speed family. It's lineage dates back to 1940 with models called the Gillette Milord and Milady. Production finally ceased in 1988 I believe.

There will be letter and number on the left and right of the bottom of the baseplate each side of the handle. If you give it to us we can date it to within 3 months.

These are both legendary razors. You are guaranteed of a superb shave with these two. It's all up to you.

I'm in the UK, so I can't recommend US suppliers who can offer sample razor packs. I am sure other members will chime in and give good suggestions.

Ditch this shave butter stuff. It's some kind of cheap brushless medium. Sell the surplus on the bay. Get yourself a tube of Proraso or another cream. Easy to use, just hydrate your face well using good old soap and water and smear about an inch length over your wet face. Then apply the wet, well soaked brush using circular and painting strokes. Aim for a watery lather. Avoid a pasty one. This is called face lathering. It's my exclusive method. Do this for about a minute.

I recommend you do not shave for 2-3 days, as you sound like you have thinnish whiskers.

On the appointed day or night, prepare lather and apply as above. I would recommend 2 passes to start.

The first WTG. Rinse razor frequently. use alternate sides of the razor head every 3-4 strokes.

Rinse face, feel face for whisker removal. It's a very tactile process, DE shaving.

Second pass XTG (Across The Grain. Effectively a left to right or right to left series of strokes across your face, jawline, moustache area and neck. Keep angle of razor at around 30 degrees. Don't worry if you get nicks. Your skin and skill will toughen. You will be aiming to feel the blade edge on your moustache area. Use minimum pressure and glide the edge along your skin. You will feel the stubble being cut. Concentrate. This is not a cartridge.

Rinse face thoroughly in cold water, and pat dry with towel. Get yourself some Nivea after shave balm and apply liberally to your face.

remove blade from razor and rinse under hottish water. Just put it back in it's wrapper. Turn the blade beforehand so you are using the other edge next shave. You should get 4-8 good shaves judging from your beard type and blade chosen. Discard when tuggy or uncomfortable.

Wash brush to remove remaining lather. Dry bristles on towel and leave to air dry, preferably upside down.

Clean your razor and peruse B&B while doing so. I talk to my vintages while cleaning them. This is optional.

You will notice a massive improvement in your facial skin condition as you progress.

Read, re-read and read again that link I gave you. Practice and enjoy.

Welcome to the wonderful world of DE shaving. And with two great vintages, I award you bonus points.

Last edited:
First of all, lets look at your razors. This should stir a suitable sense of reverence to any potential DE shaver with any sense of soul. Razors are critically important, especially vintages. You seem to have got very lucky with your selection.

The first appears to be a Fat Handled Tech. It may be a "Pre-war" as we call the type here. It looked like this new.
proxy.php

If it has the triangular drainage holes in the base plate it is. You may as well learn the terminology. If they are more narrow and less slotted, it's probably late 40's. This is one of the finest DE razors ever made.

The second appears to be a very late Flare Tip Super Speed, judging from the base plate outer shape, it's one of the last Super Speeds ever made, and is a step up in efficiency from the earlier black handles. Probably mid 1970's.
proxy.php

This is a wonderful razor. It's a TTO (Twist To Open) and belongs to the Super Speed family. It's lineage dates back to 1940 with models called the Gillette Milord and Milady. Production finally ceased in 1988 I believe.

There will be letter and number on the left and right of the bottom of the baseplate each side of the handle. If you give it to us we can date it to within 3 months.

These are both legendary razors. You are guaranteed of a superb shave with these two. It's all up to you.

I'm in the UK, so I can't recommend US suppliers who can offer sample razor packs. I am sure other members will chime in and give good suggestions.

Ditch this shave butter stuff. It's some kind of cheap brushless medium. Sell the surplus on the bay. Get yourself a tube of Proraso or another cream. Easy to use, just hydrate your face well using good old soap and water and smear about an inch length over your wet face. Then apply the wet, well soaked brush using circular and painting strokes. Aim for a watery lather. Avoid a pasty one. This is called face lathering. It's my exclusive method. Do this for about a minute.

I recommend you do not shave for 2-3 days, as you sound like you have thinnish whiskers.

On the appointed day or night, prepare lather and apply as above. I would recommend 2 passes to start.

The first WTG. Rinse razor frequently. use alternate sides of the razor head every 3-4 strokes.

Rinse face, feel face for whisker removal. It's a very tactile process, DE shaving.

Second pass XTG (Across The Grain. Effectively a left to right or right to left series of strokes across your face, jawline, moustache area and neck. Keep angle of razor at around 30 degrees. Don't worry if you get nicks. Your skin and skill will toughen. You will be aiming to feel the blade edge on your moustache area. Use minimum pressure and glide the edge along your skin. You will feel the stubble being cut. Concentrate. This is not a cartridge.

Rinse face thoroughly in cold water, and pat dry with towel. Get yourself some Nivea after shave balm and apply liberally to your face.

remove blade from razor and rinse under hottish water. Just put it back in it's wrapper. Turn the blade beforehand so you are using the other edge next shave. You should get 4-8 good shaves judging from your beard type and blade chosen. Discard when tuggy or uncomfortable.

Wash brush to remove remaining lather. Dry bristles on towel and leave to air dry, preferably upside down.

Clean your razor and peruse B&B while doing so. I talk to my vintages while cleaning them. This is optional.

You will notice a massive improvement in your facial skin condition as you progress.

Read, re-read and read again that link I gave you. Practice and enjoy.

Welcome to the wonderful world of DE shaving. And with two great vintages, I award you bonus points.
With all of these responses and the good information here, it is getting harder for me to keep up, I have already bookmarked the guide and this post so that should help. Usually with a forum post anywhere else I may or may not get a single response in a day or two. This seems like a really nice place.

All these friendly people showing up readily with advice makes me feel like this isn't just about hair removal and I am getting weirdly into it. I wound up buying some proraso shaving soap in a bowl and found an eBay seller with a mix and match sampler listing. Got every blade recommended in this chat that was in stock.

Its definitely cool that I could get a 1940's ish piece of equipment for $10 on ebay. Here is a picture of the actual razors, the twisty one has M2 as the characters on it, the other doesn't have them but I think does have the triangles you mentioned.

razors.jpeg

Thanks again

With all of these responses and the good information here, it is getting harder for me to keep up, I have already bookmarked the guide and this post so that should help. Usually with a forum post anywhere else I may or may not get a single response in a day or two. This seems like a really nice place.

All these friendly people showing up readily with advice makes me feel like this isn't just about hair removal and I am getting weirdly into it. I wound up buying some proraso shaving soap in a bowl and found an eBay seller with a mix and match sampler listing. Got every blade recommended in this chat that was in stock.

Its definitely cool that I could get a 1940's ish piece of equipment for $10 on ebay. Here is a picture of the actual razors, the twisty one has M2 as the characters on it, the other doesn't have them but I think does have the triangles you mentioned.

View attachment 1790738
Thanks again
Congratulations! You have a Pre-War Tech. An efficient and much prized razor, arguably one of the finest Techs made. Gillette stopped date coding in the late 1920's and did not resume until 1951. Yours will be 1938-45 at the latest, though more likely 1938-41

the Super Speed is April-June 1967. The earliest of the black handled flare tips. Again, rare in the good condition yours seems to be in.
proxy.php

Lovely scores! these will serve you very well. There's a certain magic to vintages, the mystery of who used them, their history. To me using a vintage adds greatly to the shave experience.

Any further questions as you progress, you know where we are.

Feel free to start threads on any subject. Check the forum list. This is a friendly community, which covers far more than "just" shaving. Camping to food to booze to watches, or just rambling at the Barbers Shop sub-forum.

Welcome to B&B, the best and most friendly website for guys on the planet.

Last edited:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Hi and welcome to B&B. Just a quick note. I know Feathers are the sharpest blades and well loved by many here, but for me they Just don't work. You may find your shaves improve greatly with a different blade. Keep us informed on how things are going for you.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
1 - My only "sign" to throw away a cartridge would be if I cut myself worse than usual twice in a row, yes it would irritate the crap out of me. If I didn't immediately take a hot shower then moisturize and moisturize again a couple of minutes later, I would be all red and scratchy throughout the day looking like I was on something. Which I just got used to, but thinking about it now seems like a bit much.
Welcome to the forum. You are one tough guy. I get about 3 weepers (a dot of blood) a year. If cutting myself "worse than usual" was a thing I'd grow a full beard.

While it's possible to save money here, I certainly have not accomplished that. But it is possible for wimpy shavers who watch their pennies but don't want to bleed. But I can assure you that the vast majority of shavers here don't cut themselves or suffer that kind of irritation on a regular basis. Your shaves are going to get better and better, and routine blood and irritation are not on the menu.

Welcome to the forum. You are one tough guy. I get about 3 weepers (a dot of blood) a year. If cutting myself "worse than usual" was a thing I'd grow a full beard.

While it's possible to save money here, I certainly have not accomplished that. But it is possible for wimpy shavers who watch their pennies but don't want to bleed. But I can assure you that the vast majority of shavers here don't cut themselves or suffer that kind of irritation on a regular basis. Your shaves are going to get better and better, and routine blood and irritation are not on the menu.
Thank you.

While I was writing that I realized I was treating my face like crap before, and while some people might not like my face I think I need it.

From what I have gathered here I need to try other angles and blades as well as up my lubrication game. If I can figure it out properly I will probably stick with it even if it costs a bit more just so my face doesn't fall off in a few years.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If I can figure it out properly I will probably stick with it even if it costs a bit more just so my face doesn't fall off in a few years.
The good thing about DE is most of the cost is front loaded, as long as you settle on a system that works for you. Unlike cartridges most DE razors will hold their value pretty well and you can usually resell them to someone else if you decide you don't like it. I went pretty crazy the first couple of years. But other than stocking up on a few classic soaps that had formula changes and buying a few things at our annual charity auction, I haven’t purchased anything in about 4yrs.

Last edited:
a blade is a blade a blade is a blade...your lather hydrated properly is what makes the blade skate across the flesh you want that to work right, the butter is sticky goopy junk, great for a cartridge...however its subjective.

I think you might be blessed with soft whiskers which is why you can get tons of shaves per cartridge without trouble. Now imagine a proper lather and good brush, your going to be softer and smoother than ever...

Don't give up yet, its actually not too hard, intuitive grain angles etc...its all malarkey what people say until you figure it out, but you should be able to get some nice shaves with the razors you have.

A nice brush is only 10 bucks and a tin of soap 10-15...have fun and try things before giving up. Variety is spice of life, blade samplers are fun, but we get too biased from one experience. A great lather is the heart and soul of a good shave.

I have been there and the learning curve is different as you are hearing from everyone. A decent brush with soap or cream definitely will help. I like Mitchell’s wool fat, but some people hate it. You might want to give these a try. I used them when traveling on planes and found it’s almost impossible to apply too much pressure.
IMG_4591.png

Top Bottom