What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Antichrist with Willem Dafoe. Almost wish I'd never seen it. Good movie, very artsy, very foreign, and profoundly disturbing with a very confusing ending. One of those films that makes you feel dirty after having watched it. The title had nothing to do with the movie.

Finally caved and watched: The Amazing Spider Man. Wasn't impressed at all, liked Raimi's version way more. Maybe #2 will be better but with Fox in it I highly doubt it. 4/10

Elysium. Just what every hundred-million dollar Hollywood blockbuster should have: a good heavy dose of fashionable Marxism. Blech.

Gravity. I guess it really pays to go into a movie with low expectations. Chances are it will be better than you expected. The previews to this movie did nothing to make me want to see it. If it hadn't been a multiple nominee for the Oscars, I probably would have skipped it altogether. Since there was so much buzz about the movie I gave it a shot on Netflix. It was better than I expected but it wasn't that great and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

GI Joe: Retaliation. My nine year old boy loved it but he's a fan of the 80's cartoon show. It's got one good scene - ninjas fighting in the mountains. Other than that it makes the Transformers movies look like Citizen Kane.

Gravity. I guess it really pays to go into a movie with low expectations. Chances are it will be better than you expected. The previews to this movie did nothing to make me want to see it. If it hadn't been a multiple nominee for the Oscars, I probably would have skipped it altogether. Since there was so much buzz about the movie I gave it a shot on Netflix. It was better than I expected but it wasn't that great and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Thats one of those movies you had to see in the theater with 3D glasses. It would be pretty lackluster watching it at home. I saw it in 3D and it was more of an experience than going to a movie in my opinion. Actually felt like you were flying in space.

The Three Burials of Melquiedes Estrada - Tommy Lee Jones directed a Rashomon-like story of a shooting on the Mexican border, each segment showing the life and burial of an affable Mexican. Very clever storytelling, even though Jones may not be a Scorsese. *** of four.

It was 2 against 1 and I was the loser so I had to watch Hairspray, the new musical one. John Waters' original Hairspray is infinitely better. I hated John Travolta in the role as the mother. What is up with that accent? His/her entire performance was like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. I equally hated Queen Latifah in her role. The whole civil rights thing got way too preachy for me. Do yourself a favor and watch the original, it's a far superior movie.

It was 2 against 1 and I was the loser so I had to watch Hairspray, the new musical one. John Waters' original Hairspray is infinitely better. I hated John Travolta in the role as the mother. What is up with that accent? His/her entire performance was like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. I equally hated Queen Latifah in her role. The whole civil rights thing got way too preachy for me. Do yourself a favor and watch the original, it's a far superior movie.

I went to college with the gal who played Penny in the original. She never acted again as far as I know. Lovely person too. The first one was okay but I think Polyester was the pinnacle of John Water's odd career. I wouldn't see the new version at gunpoint.

Top Bottom