What's new

Your suggestions on what handgun I should buy.

Of the entire arsenal, there is one handgun which stands head and shoulders above the rest. This is the pistol I carry if I believe I'm going to be in a "heavy" neighborhood and the one which I simply like the best, because I believe it IS the best. Yes, it's a bit more effort to conceal but not that much more difficult than my Glock 26 and a good deal easier than a 1911.

Indeed the smoothest shooting, slickest handling, most accurate, and...sexy pistol of anything I've carried. No night sights (never could see the advantage-no pun intended), no churched up trigger or other innards...no need for any of that stuff. Oh. I did put Cocobolo grips on it just because I like Cocobolo and prefer smooth grips.

John Browning's Masterpiece-the P35 Hi-Power 9mm. Finest kind.

View My Video

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Edit: Yeah, the dummy rounds are fun. I trained an attorney on her Block and slipped in a few dummy rounds. She shot 147 out of a possible 250 on her CCW qualification.

Ooops...typo. She shot 247 out of 250 possible...my bad.

I've wanted a High-Power for years there Ace.

The Hi-Power would be high in the running in my mind. And no, I don't see any use for night sights either. I don't much care for custom or modified guns either, preferring mine straight. Shooting use does wonders.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Are you sure you want to put the connector in on a carry gun for legal concerns? She seems to be doing just fine.

by the time I get a young officer out of the academy for FTO, he has been trained and certified for all the guns he uses and every tool he carries on his belt. But I always still tell those young officers, if they used the tool, when they were supposed to, and used it correctly, they will probably be ok, certified or not. But if they use it incorrectly, or at an inappropriate time, their probably going to be in a world of trouble, certified be damned.

So yeah, I'm ok with putting a connector in.

I've "heard" that the Ghost connectors take a bit of polishing,

The Ghost 'Edge' connector, already comes highly polished.

If you can spend the time to do it that sounds like a great project. I've never messed with fitting a connector though.

Takes no time at all really. Glocks are so easy to break down with just a Glock punch and the connector is just a drop in procedure. 5 minutes tops. polishing the internals takes about 20 minutes.

There are many do it yourself beginners, who will "over polish" the internals, which can actually change the shape of the plunger safety, trigger bar or something, just ever so slightly that they end up having a whole other set of problems than just a heavy trigger.

Mark...are you sure you're Okay with hijacking the thread? Echo...Echo...Echo....:biggrin1:

I think he has already decided on the Shield...

Edit: Yeah, the dummy rounds are fun. I trained an attorney on her Block and slipped in a few dummy rounds. She shot 147 out of a possible 250 on her CCW qualification.

Lol'd.

Last edited:
Glocks are a fantastic guns. I personally am not big enough to carry my Smith and Wesson M&P 9 concealed. This is why I carry the S&W Shield. I love the way it feels, how it functions, and most important I shoot it better. All in all make sure you train with it and that you shoot it well. If a range near you has both go shoot them both.

I did and it boiled down to I would feel comfortable if I had to protect me, my family, or others with my Shield. Good shooting and I am interested to hear your ultimate decision!

Last edited:
One Hi-Power lives here, an early post-World War II gun.

For a really nice pistol that suggests the Hi-Power in many ways and also offers a reasonable choice for those who desire high-capacity but dislike plastic or DAO-type triggers, the CZ 75 has much going for it. I very much like all-steel construction and prefer the double-action/single-action trigger feature. This is a more recent addition to the firearms menagerie here and I've not had time to really wring it out but it's lookin' good over several trips to the range so far.

Target on the right is a magazine-full of 115 grain Winchester White Box ammunition all fired from 10 yards using the trigger in its double-action mode. I am fine with making the transition to the much more excellent single-action trigger after the first shot. More familiarization is all that is needed.

OkieStubble

Of the entire arsenal, there is one handgun which stands head and shoulders above the rest. This is the pistol I carry if I believe I'm going to be in a "heavy" neighborhood and the one which I simply like the best, because I believe it IS the best. Yes, it's a bit more effort to conceal but not that much more difficult than my Glock 26 and a good deal easier than a 1911.

Indeed the smoothest shooting, slickest handling, most accurate, and...sexy pistol of anything I've carried. No night sights (never could see the advantage-no pun intended), no churched up trigger or other innards...no need for any of that stuff. Oh. I did put Cocobolo grips on it just because I like Cocobolo and prefer smooth grips.

John Browning's Masterpiece-the P35 Hi-Power 9mm. Finest kind.

View My Video

The Browning Hi-Power is one sexy gun. The gun in the video, looked like an open top slide pistol, like a Beretta or Taurus. But it was difficult to focus on the video, because of the mesmerizing young beauty in the black lingerie just below it. ;)

The Browning Hi-Power is one sexy gun. The gun in the video, looked like an open top slide pistol, like a Beretta or Taurus. But it was difficult to focus on the video, because of the mesmerizing young beauty in the black lingerie just below it. ;)

Odd how that video does in fact make it look like a Beretta M9 but indeed..it's a Hi-Power. Here's a better picture. Also shown is a C. Rusty Sherrick SIS holster in horsehide. This was developed and is currently used by the LAPD Special Investigations Section. A great holster designed to be worn concealed (and very comfortably) for extended periods of time.

$image.jpg

Hard to beat Glock if you're only going to have one 9mm. I have 2, and they're both Glocks. I got a very early 17L and a recent 26. They're both keepers.

OkieStubble

Odd how that video does in fact make it look like a Beretta M9 but indeed..it's a Hi-Power. Here's a better picture. Also shown is a C. Rusty Sherrick SIS holster in horsehide. This was developed and is currently used by the LAPD Special Investigations Section. A great holster designed to be worn concealed (and very comfortably) for extended periods of time.

View attachment 659606

You definitely have great taste in wood grips. Beautiful gun. every gun pic you show, Always have great looking wood grips.

Kimber was making a special edition 1911, just for LAPD SWAT and the SIS Units. They were awesome looking pistols. Read somewhere that several of those SWAT and SIS guys got into trouble with internal affairs for purchasing extra Kimbers and then turning around and selling them secretly to the public for a profit.

If you are interested in revolvers, get a Smith & Wesson M10. Super reliable weapons that were commonly used by the police and military.
proxy.php

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Bryan...what brand of holster is that for your Detective Special? It looks nice.

It should be noted (being as I intentionally hijacked this thread :001_smile) that Mark has chosen an S&W Shield w/o the thumb safety as what he is getting.

Looking at the forks in the path of this thread, I may start a tread about Classic Guns. It seems that the ones I consider just "regular" guns have become classics now. And the music I listened to when in my teens and twenties is now being played on the "Classics" radio stations. :scared:

What y'all think?

I'm all in for that thread!

SIG P239 in 9mm. Compact, definitely not pocket or sub-compact. But certainly smaller than the full size P226. Not particularly light, either, which makes it fun to shoot. Like all SIGs with the old P220 design, it'll fire and recoil the worst reloads you can throw at it. I've had mine since 1994 (and a P220 in .45 since 1987) and all I've done to it is put on a Hogue grip.
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p239.aspx

That said, if I were in your position I'd look seriously at the SIG P320. Its relatively new, so it doesn't exactly fit your requirements of having a long history. But its in your price range. SIG designed it for the U.S. Army's new pistol competition as the Beretta 92 is phased out. Like Glocks, its a striker fired single action pistol, but its modular and can be purchased from full sized to sub-compact. Its already been adopted by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and the Texas Highway Patrol, and the FBI's specs to replace the SIG P226 were written such that its obvious they're looking at the P320.

Two links below. Make sure to check out Hickok45's YouTube review.
http://www.sigevolution.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
One added thought. If you're leaning towards a 9mm because of cost, remember that they're cheaper because its the U.S. and NATO round. When I bought my P220 in .45ACP in the mid 80s, the .45 rounds were cheaper, too, because the U.S. military used the 1911A1. But they aren't cheap now! The point is, that in the next few years the U.S. military is going to replace the 9mm Beretta M9 with a Modular Handgun System, and we don't know if they'll stick with 9mm, which has come under some criticism. They're looking at .40 S&W, .357 SIG, and others.

I'm going to buy a SIG P320 one day, but I'm waiting to see what the U.S. round will be first. In the mean time, I'll stick with my P239 in 9mm.

Last edited:
I am not particularly fond of Glocks and I am definitely not a fan of 9MMs. I have a couple 1911s ( Charles Daly, Colt Commander, Standard army issue). They are all great guns and I have carried them for a long time. That said, I am getting a compact, finally, and have settled on the new Performance Center M&P Shield in .40.

Top Bottom