What's new

Your suggestions on what handgun I should buy.

The only two handguns I own are an LCP Custom and a Sig 1911 .22 caliber.
We shoot the daylights out of my son's .9mm Star Super B and it's a great gun but I want my own. I'm thinking .9mm or .45 caliber with more weight towards the .9 because of ammo cost.

I'm in the market for lifetime keeper I can hand down to my son someday.

These are the stipulations.
1. Cost. I will not be spending $1500 or $200. Sweet spot is $400 to $700 but I'm willing to venture either way.
2. Sturdy. I want to be able to shoot 100 rounds a week for the rest of my life. I'm 48.
3. Reliable. No new makers. I want a gun that is PROVEN reliable by past history.
4. Carriable. I need to conceal carry this weapon comfortably. I live in Florida and we wear very little clothing.
5. Comfort. I need to enjoy shooting this gun.
6. Pride. When someone ask what I carry, I want to be proud to talk about it. I'm not talking bling here, I mean when
I do hand this down to my son I want him to be proud to say his Dad carried this.

After much studying, the Glock 43 is at the top of the list, but I would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks guys,
Mark

Glocks...exceptionally well made and reliable. Volumes have been written about just how good they are. I spent all of today carrying a Glock 26. Now with that all being said....let's go straight to #6.

Glock pistols have the soul and personality of a potato. My son will say "my Dad carried this Sig P229, or this Browning Hi Power".
I can't blame him if he sold the Glock...
Along the same lines of my Browning Citori. Doubt he would sell that, but probably part with the Remington 870.

I'm wearing a Glock 43 on my side right now. I often forget that I'm wearing it. It's very concealable and will shoot anything you put in it reliably. The only thing I've seen jam a Glock is a limp wrist. I used to carry a Glock 23, but the weight often made it a bit of a chore to carry, and it wasn't nearly as concealable as the 43 for me, despite what others say. If you're in Florida then you have weather like or worse than Alabama, which is to say that you'll be wearing as little as possible during the summer. The regular size guns just don't jeehaw with that, even if they're called "compact".

Sure, you have to give up capacity with the 43, but (for me) gaining every day carry ability trumps that issue. The best gun is the one you have on you, of course. The 43 is the first gun that I've been able to carry on me every single day since I bought it. So if you're wanting my opinion on an every day carry Glock, go with the 43. It's a sweet-shooting little 9mm. If you want an occasional carry gun, get something bigger and it won't be that big of a deal. I put night sights on mine and got a +1 mag base plate. Zero complaints here.

The only 9mm you can "pass down" is a PPK our some other collectable 9mm. I've shot them all, the reasonable choice is a Glock or Sig for carry. I would get the Sig 938 again if forced to choose 9mm only. For hand me down get a 1911 in .45. I was able to get a Kimber TLE Custom II for $750. Given a few months on gunbroker you could get a Colt 1911 for cheap that could be handed down for generations. .45 is 13¢ a round if you reload. Brass can be reloaded almost indefinitely in.45

Glock 17. Uses 9mm, easy to shoot and clean. I have quite a few Glocks but have put at least 1,000 rounds in the G 17 with absolutely no problems.

The Glock 43 is a good choice. I like mine and it conceals very well. My only issue with the 43 is that due to its small size and low weight, it is quite snappy under recoil. If you can comfortably conceal a slightly wider gun, the Glock 26 is much nicer to shoot. I've been wearing mine all day under just a t-shirt.
Someone mentioned the Walther PPK. It is definitely sexy and iconic, but actually isn't very nice to shoot since it is a direct blow-back design. Also it isn't available in 9mm. The largest caliber PPK is 9mm Kurtz (9mm short), which is the same as .380 ACP, like your LCP.
If you want something with a little more character than a Glock, you might check out the CZ 75D Compact PCR. It is similar in size to a Glock 19, but much more sexy. CZ makes a fantastic all metal pistol.
Another gun on my wish list that you might check out is the FN FNS-9 Compact. It is the only polymer pistol I have seen that might tempt me away from Glock.
Also, If you like the 1911 platform, there are a number of quality compact 1911s chambered in 9mm.

My first recommendation would be H&K. My USP .40 has over 70,000 rounds through it with all original parts except the recoil and trigger springs that I replaced at 63,000 rounds for personal preference.

2nd would be SIG, another very durable firearm that I also own so I can speak for from experience, and Glock, which I do not own, but have shot a few of. (Doesn't fit my hand quite right, grip angle is different.)

Glock is a little lower on the price scale, yet durable and popular. (Holsters etc... will be easy to find.)
H&K and SIG are tanks, but a little pricier, and accessories are a little harder to come by.

Play with a few different ones, see what fits your hand and your natural grip angle.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If I had to pick one, Glock 19. If I were to pick three, I'd add the Glock 26 and 43. To me, stipulating a carry gun and a "hand down" for prosperity are at crossed purposes. The Glock is no beauty queen, just a pure fighting machine. The Sig, HK and 1911 fill the heirloom requirement a bit better.

Last edited:
During most of my professional life I carried full size handguns, Hi-Powers, Glock 21s, 1911s, etc., and concealed them even in shorts and a polo shirt. Do your part to conceal, and full size weapons are your best friend in a gunfight; they are much easier to shoot well under stress.

Today, I carry a G43; I added the +1 Pearce extensions and Talon grips. Made a HUGE difference in the positive manipulation of controls and shoot-ability.

Here are a few recommendations:

Pick a half a dozen models you want to consider and go to a range that rents handguns. Shoot all of your choices and determine, for yourself, what you like and don't. Don't limit yourself to 9mm and .45ACP; find a caliber you shoot well and can get hits with. Putting .22 on target is far better than missing with a .45.

Before shooting the weapon, while it is unloaded, run your non-dominant hand over the top of the slide; if you feel sharp edges, move on. They WILL cut you when you least need to be cut.
:thumbdown

After you've made your selection,
get professional training. Punching paper at the range is all well and good, but shooting people is very different and training will help keep you alive.

One last piece of advice. Never tell anyone you carry a weapon, ever. Impressing others is not the reason you should ever own, or carry, a weapon.

Stay safe.

Last edited:
During most of my professional life I carried full size handguns, Hi-Powers, Glock 21s, 1911s, etc., and concealed them even in shorts and a polo shirt. Do your part to conceal, and full size weapons are your best friend in a gunfight; they are much easier to shoot well under stress.

Today, I carry a G43; I added the +1 Pearce extensions and Talon grips. Made a HUGE difference in the positive manipulation of controls and shoot-ability.

Here are a few recommendations:

Pick a half a dozen models you want to consider and go to a range that rents handguns. Shoot all of your choices and determine, for yourself, what you like and don't. Don't limit yourself to 9mm and .45ACP; find a caliber you shoot well and can get hits with. Putting .22 on target is far better than missing with a .45.

Before shooting the weapon, while it is unloaded, run your non-dominant hand over the top of the slide; if you feel sharp edges, move on. They WILL cut you when you least need to be cut.
:thumbdown

After you've made your selection,
get professional training. Punching paper at the range is all well and good, but shooting people is very different and training will help keep you alive.

One last piece of advice. Never tell anyone you carry a weapon, ever. Impressing others is not the reason you should ever own, or carry, a weapon.

Stay safe.

Thank you Jack19 for the advice. You definitely opened my eye on a few points.

May I ask why you switched from a full size 1911 to a Glock 43?

Mark

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Comfortable carry indicates a polymer frame, so. G19.

When I try to carry old favorites these days, they just seem heavy.

Potato? :tongue_sm The glock has all the charm and heirloom quality of a Bic lighter ... Yet they are as reliable.

Be nice to get Dad's Luger some day, but. Nothing will meet all criteria.

AA

Thank you Jack19 for the advice. You definitely opened my eye on a few points.

May I ask why you switched from a full size 1911 to a Glock 43?Mark

Sure. A few reasons.

1. I got older. (Happens to the best of us.)
2. 9mm ammunition has improved greatly over the last 35 years.
3. I can still do mag changes in under a second, and I carry four spare mags. 9mm weighs less. (See number 1,:laugh:)
4. I am confident enough in my abilities to use the 43 effectively. (Practice Practice Practice the right skills, your trainer will help you know what they are.)

Stay Safe.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Walther PPQ comes in 9, 40 or 45. Great, reliable guns. H+K makes also a great gun.
Lots of guys like and recommend Glocks, but the one I have (34) is the most unreliable and most ammo finicky gun (sorry Glock fan boys).

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Just to throw a wrench in the monkey, if you're not completely set on getting an electric pistol, and to add a little variety to your growing collection, you may want to consider....

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

These are the stipulations.
1. Cost. I will not be spending $1500 or $200. Sweet spot is $400 to $700 but I'm willing to venture either way.

Check. Real world price should be in the upper range of your budget.

2. Sturdy. I want to be able to shoot 100 rounds a week for the rest of my life. I'm 48.

Check. The only way you'd wear it out is to feed it a steady diet of .357 ammo. And you can shoot anything from light 148 grain .38 Special target wadcutters in it all the way up to full-house .357s. I'd probably find some .38 +P ammo it liked and carry that for defense. The old FBI load comes to mind. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108

3. Reliable. No new makers. I want a gun that is PROVEN reliable by past history.

Check. That's a given. That brand has been around for a year or two.

4. Carriable. I need to conceal carry this weapon comfortably. I live in Florida and we wear very little clothing.

Check. I carry a Colt Cobra in a tuckable IWB holster almost daily. You can see from my location that I'm not exactly in the Great White North. I usually wear a polo shirt either un-tucked, but mostly tucked in and bloused just a bit. The only way you can tell I'm wearing the little Colt is by the belt clip for the holster.

5. Comfort. I need to enjoy shooting this gun.

Check. With the 3 inch barrel it will be easier to shoot than a 2 inch snubby, and with about 6 ounces more weight than the G43 it will help mitigate recoil without being a burden to carry.

6. Pride. When someone ask what I carry, I want to be proud to talk about it. I'm not talking bling here, I mean when
I do hand this down to my son I want him to be proud to say his Dad carried this.

Check.

Last edited:
Comfortable carry indicates a polymer frame, so. G19.

When I try to carry old favorites these days, they just seem heavy.

Potato? :tongue_sm The glock has all the charm and heirloom quality of a Bic lighter ... Yet they are as reliable.

Be nice to get Dad's Luger some day, but. Nothing will meet all criteria.

AA

+1. That was my carry gun for years. I alternated that with a G 23. But for shooting at the range I still prefer the G17 and if you can afford it, the G17L.

Top Bottom