What's new

Your suggestions on what handgun I should buy.

There are a lot of great pistols to recommend and some of these can answer virtually every one of the OP's requirement.

I like many others have 'gone through' my share of these pistols. For the record, my Glock 19 is ten years old and is one of four carry pistols I use...

A Dan Wesson 1911.45 ACP CCO is my #1 followed by the Glock 19. I carry a small NAA .22mag when running and a Glock 20SF in the deep back country of the west.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON who has asked me for a pistol recommendation, first time or otherwise, I have always recommended a Glock 19. Every friend or relative who bought the Glock 19... still has it and shoots it regularly.

It's truly a classic pistol, similar in stature as the Sig P226 or 1911 Commander. The 9mm platform from Glock is their best and the G19 for such a compact design, packs sixteen rounds in a fairly lightweight design. Did I say the Glock 19 is about as reliable a pistol you can buy?

Like I said, there are phenomenal pistols in the market place. The Glock 19 only needs some night sights, an extended slide release, a grip plug and that's it... absolutely nothing else is needed, other than a Milt Sparks OWB and IWB holster or some high-quality kydex.

YMMV. I hope the OP finds the best pistol he can!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks so much for the help guys!

I visited the local gun shop today.
I think I have it narrowed down to 4.
I didn't shoot any of these guns but I did handle them for fit and comfort.

1. M&P Shield. Best fit.
2. Glock 43. Grip felt too small. Would need a mag extender.
3. XDS .45. Quite a bit too big, but the shop owner has a lot of good points about this gun.
4. Glock 26 Possible, but a little too thick for my likes.

So, as of right this minute, I'm saving my money for an M&P Shield 9mm.
Please, by all means, keep the suggestions coming. You have helped me a lot.
Mark

You are definitely headed in the right direction, especially with your experience with the LCP, your Sig 1911 .22, and the Star 9mm. Not to mention other experiences you have had that you haven't shared with us. :biggrin1:

As has been said...now see if you can get an opportunity to shoot all of your narrowed down choices and see how you shoot them in live fire. I've handled an S&W Shield at a shop and liked it, but never shot one.

It's all about personal preference and how well you shoot a particular firearm. It's your call., but you know that.

My personal preference, as far as accuracy and ease of handling goes, is a full sized K or L frame S&W revolver or a 1911 .45. I've never cared for the combat tupperware polymer things but that's just me, and I don't shoot a Glock Model 22 as well even with training and practice.

Buuuttt...for pocket or however you would like to carry concealed, I like my exposed ejector rod Cobra which at 15 ounces I carry the most, or my 24 ounce, according to the manual that I still have, my DAO AMT .40 Backup. Then for a bit bigger, and not a pocket gun but IWB, is my Stainless Officers ACP that has had quite a bit of work done on it by that little known gunsmith in Arkansas named Bill Wilson .

YMMV...greatly.

Pics. of what you end up getting is mandatory, as you know. :biggrin1:

You must be a big dude... :)

No; just a good holster that carried the pistol at the right angle.

Lou Alessi made great holsters, glad the company has continued without him. His ankle holster is the best I've ever used.

$ankle%2520holster%2520for%2520medium%2520frame%2520auto__15679.1359382380.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:
Just throwing it out there -- I shot a Ruger SR9 last night and was very impressed. I immediately thought of this thread. Fairly light, not too snappy. It has (according to the owner) the thinnest grip of any doublestack.
I liked it and added it to my mental list of future carry guns for myself.

It's about the size of a M&P Shield -- a little longer in the barrel, but with the thin grip it might be a tossup for concealability.

Also -- for what it's worth , I have shot the M&P Shield and found it a pretty snappy. It shoots fine, but I wouldn't want it as my primary range gun, it's kind of tiring to shoot, IMO.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Florida? Sig 938 is a great choice. I love mine. If you wear jeans/pants/shirts all the time, you still might be able to pull off a CZ P01. That is my all-time favorite pistol. DA/SA is my favorite platform. Indestructible, totally dependable, as accurate as you are (besides the longer-barreled CZ75 variants, it's the easiest gun to shoot accurately I've ever owned or shot). It's a "semi-compact", though, so it has (nearly) a full-size grip. Not as easy to conceal as the 938. CZ's have gone up in price in recent years, as they gain popularity in the States, but they're still one of the best values in all of shooting...

For what it's worth.....
Shortly I will be making a trip to Florida; be there about a week.

Indeed I shall be carrying a firearm while I am there. I have quite a few in the safe from which to choose, including-

-Glock 26 9mm
-S&W Shield .40 cal
-Ruger 1911 Commander .45
-Browning Hi-Power 9mm
-Sig Sauer P229 9mm

....even these:

-Ruger GP 100 .357 mag.
-S&W Model 29 .44 mag.
-Beretta 8000 Cougar 9mm

What will get the call???

$IMG_2287.jpg
$IMG_2286.jpg

S&W 442 in an Andrews OWB Saddle Holster

Why??
-Very easy to carry and just as easy to conceal
-Most comfortable to wear. The Andrews holster makes it so I hardly know I'm wearing a gun
-.38 +P is indeed a proven and effective defensive round
-Simple to use in a stressful situation
-Forgiving trigger pull when things may (just may) go sideways

All theories aside, here is my real world-real time option and opinion on what may be the "best" weapon to carry in a given environment.

Then too...this is only one person's opinion. There are many, many other points of view which will be just as valid as this.

Last edited:
Small pocket guns are an advanced study, not best suited to those still trying to get down the basic skills of defensive handgunning.

Small handguns, while carried for convenience and comfort by many, IMO too many, require a steep, and continuous, learning curve.

I can attest to this. :lol:

If you're willing to take the time, though, you can shoot them just as accurately as you might a larger pistol.

I've carried Glock 19/PPQ-sized guns in the past, and while I don't have an issue concealing them, carrying never got (physically) comfortable until I switched to the Shield. I seem to have all of my protective body fat in the wrong places. :blink:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
View attachment 654947
View attachment 654948

S&W 442 in an Andrews OWB Saddle Holster

Why??
-Very easy to carry and just as easy to conceal
-Most comfortable to wear. The Andrews holster makes it so I hardly know I'm wearing a gun
-.38 +P is indeed a proven and effective defensive round
-Simple to use in a stressful situation
-Forgiving trigger pull when things may (just may) go sideways

All theories aside, here is my real world-real time option and opinion on what may be the "best" weapon to carry in a given environment.

Then too...this is only one person's opinion. There are many, many other points of view which will be just as valid as this.

Dang! The holster is bigger than the gun! :biggrin1:

Just kidding...I have an IWB for my snubby but it is much thinner. Personal preference again... I usually use the holster if my little snub is not being pocket carried. I really like the accessibility of a hip holster though.

Love those grips on your S&W.

Thanks for all the great recommendations. I am considering all of them.

The P938 has been mentioned quite frequently. I watched several videos and it's a fine looking gun. Expensive, but nice. I could certainly hand this one down.

The grip looks so small, though. I have really large hands and it just reminds me of my LCP which I can barely grip. I would need to shoot this one for sure before shelling out that kind of money.

I was never keen on the "cocked and locked" for all day, everyday carry, just never seemed safe to me, but some of the videos put my mind at ease.

Anyway, The local had a $10 raffle to win a pistol. Guess which one.......The M&P Shield. lol
The drawing is May 7th. If I don't win, I will make my decision then. I'm saving $50 a week so It won't be long!
Mark

Thanks for all the great recommendations. I am considering all of them.

The P938 has been mentioned quite frequently. I watched several videos and it's a fine looking gun. Expensive, but nice. I could certainly hand this one down.

The grip looks so small, though. I have really large hands and it just reminds me of my LCP which I can barely grip. I would need to shoot this one for sure before shelling out that kind of money.

I was never keen on the "cocked and locked" for all day, everyday carry, just never seemed safe to me, but some of the videos put my mind at ease.

Anyway, The local had a $10 raffle to win a pistol. Guess which one.......The M&P Shield. lol
The drawing is May 7th. If I don't win, I will make my decision then. I'm saving $50 a week so It won't be long!
Mark

Yeah, cocked and locked can seem a bit unsafe, but it's not. The key is that not only is the safety mechanically blocking the hammer from dropping, but even if it were to drop for some reason, the firing pin can't move unless the trigger is pulled back at the same time. Now I wouldn't carry it around without the safety engaged, but it would actually be safe doing this with a covered trigger. Drawing would be unsafe in that case though as the trigger is short (but heavy at around 7-8 lbs). I did wear mine around for a week in a holster that did not cover the safety just to see it would ever disengaged. It didn't.

I love my 938. It's a great shooting gun, too. I can stay inside a couple of inches at 10 yards (slow fire) with ease, and inside 6-7 inches at 25 yards. On the grip, I think you'd be fine. I have very large hands (mostly large palms), and with the Hogue rubber grips, it's great. Sig sells a version of the gun with those installed, but you can put them on any model. It's even better with the 7 round extended mag..but still workable with the stock 6 round. The gun had some teething problems out of the factory (a main spring housing that could fail and make the gun inoperable, or even dangerous), but that's been addressed with an upgraded MSH that they started using in ~August 2015. If you get one new, it will have the latest upgrades if post that build date, and will be fine. Check the box for the manufacturing date. I don't know if you have the Rural King chain in your area, but if you do, they have this gun for $699 regular price, and on sale for $599 frequently. Grab-a-gun has fairly frequent sales for various versions for $599.

Last edited:
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. Great gun. I have it in both the 9 & 380 depends where I am and what I am wearing.
I agree that a full size pistol is more user friendly. However, full size weapons are harder to conceal. Realistically, if you ever had to draw your weapon it would be at 30' or less. Anything more than that back pedal and escape/evade.

Last edited:
This has been so much fun. Research, videos, etc...
I think it's down to the Sig 938 and the M&P Shield.

Just throwing this out there, how about an old service pistol such as the Makarov?

If your going with a makarov it is a 9 x 18. Finding ammo may be a problem. A 9mm or 38 such a S&W may serve you better and much easier to find ammo.

If you're looking for an old service weapon, see what Buds Guns has in their trade in department. Lots of old police trade in guns and such. Might be worth a look. 9mm and .40 S&W seem to be in pretty good supply

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
In regards to hand size and grip size, make sure that when you are shooting a rental/loaner, to pay attention to how easily a magazine change can be made without shifting your grip on the gun to do so. Some small autos are easy enough to shoot with, until it comes time to do a magazine change under stress while still maintaining a firing grip on the weapon.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Just throwing this out there, how about an old service pistol such as the Makarov?

In addition to the ammo availability issue, the 9 x 18 Mak round falls between the .380 acp and the 9 x 19 power wise. Do you really want to down grade from a 9 x 19? I wouldn't, but YMMV.

Top Bottom