What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

I seem to recall over the years, instructions for cooking pulpo,
by people who just don't realize how long you really have to cook them.

The scenes of the kraken in the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies
always make me hungry. ;)
Yes - I previously had a similar cook time, but a Portuguese friend advised me to reduce this to 45min. Never go against the advice of a Portuguese native when talking pulpo. ;)
Works a treat.
Another way of doing it is to marinate the pulpo in pulped kiwifruit - a fantastic tenderizer.

Not at my house but tonight we had chicken and rice with ramps
and some cruciferous vegetables.

View attachment 1829717

and then I had another plate of just chicken and ramps.

View attachment 1829718

I picked them just before eating.

Check out the prices!$!$!$!

It's still ramp season.
Thursday night was steak.

DSCN1679b.jpg

DSCN1680b.jpg

And I then I opted for home fries and mac an cheese.

DSCN1681b.jpg

Sautee of mushrooms, onion, leeks, yellow squash and ground bison: seasoned with pink pepper and cayenne, in a cast iron skillet and ghee I rendered myself. Was gifted a couple of homemade flat breads(homeground flour) to go along as well.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I had a quart of buttermilk from the last churning. Often I start with one or two ingredients and then imagine the rest of the dish into life around them. Sometimes it's a bit of a struggle to come up with creative uses for buttermilk beyond drinking it, putting it in squash soup, making a chess pie, buttermilk pancakes or cookies or some sourdough oatmeal bread. All good options, but I wanted to go a different way.

I got to thinking about potato soup. So I grabbed some bacon ends and sliced them up and fried them, then caramelized onion and garlic in the fat. Mrs. Hippie suggested adding some broccoli. Grated some cheddar cheese. Doesn't sound like much but it was a good supper, and now I'm gonna go eat some more for lunch!

O.H.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I had a quart of buttermilk from the last churning. Often I start with one or two ingredients and then imagine the rest of the dish into life around them. Sometimes it's a bit of a struggle to come up with creative uses for buttermilk beyond drinking it, putting it in squash soup, making a chess pie, buttermilk pancakes or cookies or some sourdough oatmeal bread. All good options, but I wanted to go a different way.

I got to thinking about potato soup. So I grabbed some bacon ends and sliced them up and fried them, then caramelized onion and garlic in the fat. Mrs. Hippie suggested adding some broccoli. Grated some cheddar cheese. Doesn't sound like much but it was a good supper, and now I'm gonna go eat some more for lunch!

O.H.
Soup. A test of a cook. Make leftovers into deliciousness.

Don't forget buttermilk is a great marinade for chicken and some water critters.

O.H.
Could always do American biscuits with some of it. They won’t have the tang of “traditional” buttermilk biscuits but should still be tasty

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Could always do American biscuits with some of it. They won’t have the tang of “traditional” buttermilk biscuits but should still be tasty

Absolutely they're good! I also use it in cookies. I'm not usually in the position of needing to use it up. More like I usually need to choose a thing or two out of the available tasty options and go that way. It's not uncommon to make butter to get the buttermilk for some project I have on. I just toss the chunk of butter into the freezer. We'll eat it eventually.

O.H.

Top Bottom