What's new

We all Watched Joel's Video today...

See post #39 and be afraid of the feather and the shavette!

Using a straight, and learning to use a straight, should be fun! Give yourselves a fair shot and get a real straight!

BTW, I did not check to see whethe others have said this, but I would really advise getting and using a practice strop at first. Personally, I should probably never use anything else but a practice strop, but for anyone starting out it is just very easy to accidently cut into a strop. You want to be in a position to only feel so bad about doing it!

Nothing to be afraid of, really!
It wasn't worse than my first DE shave. Actually, the burn on that one was much worse, and lasted for two days.
I'm sure with practice, my technique will improve, like it did with the DE, and the DX will eventually feel like a fluffy kitten. I don't believe it would have been any better with a traditional straight.

You can't compare it with a shavette. The DX is a well designed beautiful object, with nice weight and balance. Shavette is cheap.

I do like the Feather, and I don't have the patience for the maintenance that a traditional straight requires.

...and I don't have the patience for the maintenance that a traditional straight requires.

Another victim of the honemeister myth! I shaved with a straight for 29 years before I started reading the Internet forums and maintenance was 5 passes on a barbers hone every couple of weeks and stropping before every shave. Unfortunately, if you read the forums, there are thousands of messages from people who want to chit-chat about the minute details of their hones and all the problems you can encounter. I've been searching for an analogy: it's as if a man who has never driven a car goes to read a Chilton's car repair guide to see if he would like to buy one and decides that driving must be very complicated because the repair manual has 1000 pages.

Another victim of the honemeister myth! I shaved with a straight for 29 years before I started reading the Internet forums and maintenance was 5 passes on a barbers hone every couple of weeks and stropping before every shave. Unfortunately, if you read the forums, there are thousands of messages from people who want to chit-chat about the minute details of their hones and all the problems you can encounter. I've been searching for an analogy: it's as if a man who has never driven a car goes to read a Chilton's car repair guide to see if he would like to buy one and decides that driving must be very complicated because the repair manual has 1000 pages.

Amen. The rocket surgery that people can make of whipping up lather alone, is gast flabbering.

You have a point there, but I am not a victim, sir!

The Feather caught my eye for specific reasons, as it gets very high marks at the SR forums and it solves the maintenance problem for me: I really don't want to deal with strops, pastes, hones, etc., and I don't have to buy multiple razors for back up, while others are being repaired for some reason or other (I have enough paraphernalia as it is).

Besides, I've always wanted a Japanese style, non-folding razor. Big Kurosawa fan.

Last edited:
You have a point there, but I am not a victim, sir!

The Feather caught my eye for specific reasons, as it gets very high marks at the SR forums and it solves the maintenance problem for me: I really don't want to deal with strops, pastes, hones, etc., and I don't have to buy multiple razors for back up, while others are being repaired for some reason or other (I have enough paraphernalia as it is).

Besides, I've always wanted a Japanese style, non-folding razor. Big Kurosawa fan.

Fair enough!

I envy those folks who can go two days without shaving and you can barely see it or who can get a close shave in one pass. Un fortunately my beard type is never going to allow me luxuries such as a ten minute shave . Anyway it was a good video and a good reminder that folks don't neccessarily need a huge meat chopper to get good results

Just as an update.
Today's shave was much better. No burn, a couple of nicks on the neck. No big deal. Nicely smooth cheeks and neck.
:thumbup1:

Top Bottom