What's new

In ‘Les Troisgros,’ a Restaurant Documentary That’s Well Worth Watching ;-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My Dear Culinarians:
This documentary (when arrives this side 'of the pond'), will be well worth watching...the 'inside scoop' on how a Michelin 3 star (the pinnacle of cuisine), establish operates. :thumbsup:

I'd surely go to Culinary Heaven (I'd give my 'eye-tooth'), if I ever had the chance to work (for no pay...Pro-Bono...the 'salary' is gaining their knowledge...a old tradition), in their Brigade de_Cuisine.

By Elissa Suh - Eater Review- 27 Nov 23

"None of the cinematic tropes that have come to define today’s food documentaries — sweeping pans, glistening surfaces, a climactic symphony of strings — are present in Menus-Plaisirs — Les Troisgros, a spellbinding new four (4)-hour documentary about the (3) three-starred Michelin restaurant 'Troisgros'. [...].

[...]Nestled in the idyllic French countryside, [the] Troisgros family boasts a remarkable legacy spanning four generations, and since 1968 when it was under the direction of brothers Pierre ...(who also enjoys cigars), and Jean Troisgros, it has maintained three Michelin stars — [a] standing [that] beat the [then] 55year record held by Restaurant Paul Bocuse.

[BTW...] The Michelin Guide reevaluates restaurants annually and has been known to dock a star if its standards aren’t maintained, placing outsize stress on chefs, even causing some to voluntarily return their stars.)

proxy.php

The great Chefs of French cuisine: the brothers Pierre [L] and Jean [R] Troisgros in restaurant their "Troisgros" in Roannen (which has had awarded Michelin 3 stars since 1968...[wow!]), pose beside a set table. (Photo by Manuel Litran/Paris Match via Getty Images)

The restaurant’s current proprietor Michel Troisgros built upon the foundations of his father Pierre’s nouvelle cuisine — itself a radical departure from the heavier tradition of classic cuisine — by infusing it with his own perspective, inspired by Asian ingredients and his travels in Japan. Michel is in the process of passing the torch to his two sons César and Léo, who are also talented chefs. [...]

proxy.php

Chef Pierre Troisgros with his son Chef Michel

proxy.php

proxy.php

Chefs César [L] and Leo [R] Troisgros

[...] The film commences at the farmer’s market, where César and Léo chat with vendors, contemplate oyster mushrooms and strawberries, and decide whether to get mint or parsley. Every once in a while we get a close-up of the bounty — wild garlic, radishes, new carrots — but the sheer ordinariness of shopping for the day’s meals stands in stark contrast to greenmarkets as glamorously captured by influencers or depicted by Jon Favreau sniffing through the produce in the 2014 film Chef.

In subsequent scenes, César and Léo discuss their proposed new dishes with their father who politely grills them on every detail. What color is the asparagus? What temperature? How almondy is the almond sauce exactly? Minutiae and the seemingly mundane are Wiseman’s bread and butter and he uses them to construct a big picture, here a vivid portrait of the restaurant ecosystem, marked by the interconnected dynamics and exchanges among chefs, servers, producers, and customers — each an integral element relying on the another in a mostly symbiotic harmony.

The film moves sublimely through a loose structure: meal planning and preparation; lunch service at Troisgros restaurant led by César; service at sister-restaurant La Colline du Colombier run by Léo; and then relevant digressions to various producers (winemakers, cheesemakers, cattle farmers, all local) before returning to Troisgros for an evening dinner service.

Though pieced together from footage taken on different days, the arrangement simulates a sort of day-in-the-life of a restaurant chef. Privileged with ample time in the kitchen, viewers are treated to an astonishing display of culinary talent and technique.

We observe the shucking of oysters, basting of the calf brains, sauteing of frog legs, and tourneeing of potatoes. One chef delicately paints squid ink onto the petals of John Dory, which has been steamed and shaped into a rose, and another coils thin strands of puff pastry into a bird’s nest for the tromp-l’oeil “egg” dessert — both Troisgros signatures".

Read More: The Restaurant 'Troisgros'

chef-jpg.791375
"Cooking should be a carefully balanced reflection of all the good things of the earth". Chefs Jean & Pierre Troisgros

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My Dear Culinarians:
This documentary (when arrives this side 'of the pond'), will be well worth watching...the 'inside scoop' on how a Michelin 3 star (the pinnacle of cuisine), establish operates. :thumbsup:

I'd surely go to Culinary Heaven (I'd give my 'eye-tooth'), if I ever had the chance to work (for no pay...Pro-Bono...the 'salary' is gaining their knowledge...a old tradition), in their Brigade de_Cuisine.

proxy.php

chef-jpg.791375
"Cooking should be a carefully balanced reflection of all the good things of the earth". Chefs Jean & Pierre Troisgros
Culinarians:
This is how a professional Brigade operates as apposed to Chef Ramsay's (OBE), 'operational chaos'. :a47:

proxy.php
"I train my chefs completely different to anyone else".[...]. Chef Ramsay

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My Dear Culinarians:

chef-jpg.791375
Correction Image.gif...Link added in Red above.
proxy.php

Top Bottom