What's new

We all Watched Joel's Video today...

so it is sounding like many of you recommend a str8 that accepts disposable blades (at least to start off).

Maybe this is the route I should go just to learn the motions, technique, stretching, etc...then if I like it, delve into the REAL str8s.

Is this a good idea or a mistake?

Joels video also has me considering trying a str8. Some of the razors look absolutely stunning but I have to admit that the thought of shaving with one is quite intimidating.

Pete

I actually thought the vid make it look pretty easy. Much more do-able than I imagined.

Joel has ruined us all. I think there's more than just a few of us who have caught the bug and will be jumping into st8s before very long. I know I'm hooked. Prolly gonna bleed to death, but hey, at least it'll be fun. :thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
so it is sounding like many of you recommend a str8 that accepts disposable blades (at least to start off).

Maybe this is the route I should go just to learn the motions, technique, stretching, etc...then if I like it, delve into the REAL str8s.

To answer your previous question, hones are not essentials at first. As long as the straight is shave ready, it's good.

Shavette or straight, that's ok. You won't get the exact same experience from both. I shaved with a shavette here and there and it was all right, but it's nothing compared to a real straight. For the how much it costs if you pick-up the Ruprazor deal, I think you should invest the difference and get it!

Damn. He sure made that look easy. And in real time, too.

Being still a relative newbie, I'm giving myself a year with DEs, provided I don't watch too many more of these videos. I can get past the costs of the straight and strop, but it's the idea of hones (and potentially ruining your razor) that puts me off.

OK...so I watched Joel use a straight razor this morning and I got the bug. I read his entire "how to" guide for str8s.

Based on the guide, I think I want a Dovo 1/2 hollowed 5/8 stainless. But I don't want to break the bank (I want to pay less than $50). Does anyone think this razor exists?

I would be willing to bet I am not the only one looking after watching his vid...

Joel...I think you have inspired us all!

Go to Ebay and you can find old Sheffield (UK) razors for well under $50. Granted you'll have to restore them. Also check in the classified section of straightrazorplace.com classifieds section and you can find restored razors around that much.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm seriously considering making the leap. What would you reccomend as a starter str8?

Pete
New? look for T.I. (Thiers Issard) or DOVO.

Vintage? Anything from Sheffield (England) or Solingen (Germany). Yes, there are lots of other great vintage razors out there, but this is a good rule of thumb when you are starting out.

I'd stay clear of that if a 'real straight' is your ultimate goal. If you want to use a Feather/shavette/&c as your daily razor then that's great, but you don't need to go there if you are intending to puch on to the real deal.
Joel has ruined us all. I think there's more than just a few of us who have caught the bug and will be jumping into st8s before very long. I know I'm hooked. Prolly gonna bleed to death, but hey, at least it'll be fun. :thumbup1:
The price of vintage DEs will go down and the price of vintage straights will go up. :blink:
Go to Ebay and you can find old Sheffield (UK) razors for well under $50. Granted you'll have to restore them. ...

A bit of a minefield there. As you say, an almost certain need to restore eBay razors, so these might not suit the beginner.

I want to know how the hell you can shave with a shirt on? I slop lather and water around everywhere when I shave. That is far to neat and tidy.

Well...I bought a real str8 today from the BST forum.:001_smile

I am so excited I can't wait for it to arrive! The bad thing is that my Merkur Progress arrived today which I am also excited about ...so which one do I commit to???????

Well...I bought a real str8 today from the BST forum.:001_smile

I am so excited I can't wait for it to arrive! The bad thing is that my Merkur Progress arrived today which I am also excited about ...so which one do I commit to???????

If your experience is anything like mine - you'll need both anyway. Start with the Progress.

I started straight shaving with a Feather AC RG. Its always super sharp, and getting a new edge is as easy as changing a blade.

You use it like any straight so there's a bit of a learning curve, but I really like the razor. At this point I have no intention of getting a regular straight. In fact I'm waiting on the Feather AC DX to arrive. This is a really nice straight, and is worth looking into. :thumbup1:

My DX arrived yesterday. Today is the big day!:eek::eek::eek:

I'm not a straight user. I have tried it and it did not appeal to me. Nevertheless, Joel has posted an awesome video. I think it's the best one out there. Kudos Joel! :thumbup1:

Sorry to be late weighing in. I sawyou ended up getting a real straight, which I think is the better path. Ihave read too much about "unforgiving" disposable blade straights over time, and unforgiving is not what you want starting out!

Sorry to be late weighing in. I sawyou ended up getting a real straight, which I think is the better path. Ihave read too much about "unforgiving" disposable blade straights over time, and unforgiving is not what you want starting out!

It's worth repeating that a shavette is harder to use than a real straight and not recommended as a learning path leading to straights.

i recently saw it too- he makes it look so easy! :thumbup1:

Yes, but reality is not so simple. I shaved with my Feather DX for the first time today. Two passes: WTG and XTG. I tried my best at keeping the short angle and no pressure. During the second pass I considered stopping. My cheeks were burning, and I had two big cuts: one under the nose, one on top of the lip (which is still bleeding as I write), and a weeper on the neck. I decided to go ahead and finish the second pass.
Finished with a 3rd WTG pass with the 39c slant "sledgehammer" a.k.a "Satan's razor" which comparatively felt like shaving with a fluffy kitten.

The burn has died down, and the shave feels very smooth on the cheeks and neck. I only wish I could stop bleeding!:scared:

It's worth repeating that a shavette is harder to use than a real straight and not recommended as a learning path leading to straights.

See post #39 and be afraid of the feather and the shavette!

Using a straight, and learning to use a straight, should be fun! Give yourselves a fair shot and get a real straight!

BTW, I did not check to see whethe others have said this, but I would really advise getting and using a practice strop at first. Personally, I should probably never use anything else but a practice strop, but for anyone starting out it is just very easy to accidently cut into a strop. You want to be in a position to only feel so bad about doing it!

Top Bottom