What's new

Are All Adjustables Aggressive To More Aggressive?

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Thanks a lot, Shane. Much appreciated. I do have a Rockwell 6C and love it. :thumbsup:
Hey, who knows ... maybe I'll just go for an Osprey. It is an absolutely gorgeous piece of kit.
Compared to your 6C the Progress is only marginally more aggressive feeling. IIRC the numbers on the Rockwell plates correspond very closely to the numbers in the dial on the Progress as far as gaps go.

I find the Progress cuts in more of a scything motion as well: it bends the blade more than other razors and has a smaller window of effective shaving angles. Once you find the "sweet spot" it's a very efficient and forgiving shave.

Because a lot of vintage razors are grossly overpriced right now.
I did find a Fatboy for a decent price today though. I might lean that way. 🤷‍♂️
Fatboys and Toggles are often overpriced. But I bought a mint Slim for $17 and a never-used Black Beauty for $10. That’s less than a fifth of what you’d pay for the inferior Progress. And the Black Beauty is the best there is.

Fatboys and Toggles are often overpriced. But I bought a mint Slim for $17 and a never-used Black Beauty for $10. That’s less than a fifth of what you’d pay for the inferior Progress. And the Black Beauty is the best there is.
Agreed. But I haven't seen either for anywhere near those prices. :laugh:

Merkur Progress at setting #3 is equivalent to a Merkur 34C. So, any setting less is milder, and above is more aggressive. For me I have found using it at #4 for WTG and XTG and then #3 for ATG works best.

Assuming you are in the US, I would recommend staying off Ebay and the other bidding sites if you are looking for a deal. Try facebook marketplace or believe it or not Craigslist. While not as popular as it once was I recently got a mint fatboy, decent tech and another razor for $15 off craigslist. Looking local tends to lead to better prices. Antique shops are hit or miss on whether they will be overpriced or reasonable. Happy Hunting

Assuming you are in the US, I would recommend staying off Ebay and the other bidding sites if you are looking for a deal. Try facebook marketplace or believe it or not Craigslist. While not as popular as it once was I recently got a mint fatboy, decent tech and another razor for $15 off craigslist. Looking local tends to lead to better prices. Antique shops are hit or miss on whether they will be overpriced or reasonable. Happy Hunting
Good advice to look at Facebook Marketplace. Hadn't thought of that. I've bought several vintage Gillettes but all through Etsy. I haven't used Ebay in years. Thanks!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Huh? Where are you looking for or shipping to? Oompa-loompa-land? If you're completely discounting vintage adjustable razors that's fine. But please don't give the impression to anyone, new members in particular, that a variety of vintage adjustable razors can't be had for less than $20. Even more so for less than your stated max of $100.

Huh? Where are you looking for or shipping to? Oompa-loompa-land? If you're completely discounting vintage adjustable razors that's fine. But please don't give the impression to anyone, new members in particular, that a variety of vintage adjustable razors can't be had for less than $20. Even more so for less than your stated max of $100.
Most decent Gillette adjustables are well over $20 and Fatboys are often over $100.
As I said in my original post, I already have 6 vintage Gillettes and am really looking for a new adjustable.

This question is why we made the Osprey with a huge adjustable range. Most razors are either too mild across all settings or too aggressive across them all. Within your budget I'd recommend taking a look at the Parker Variant and Supply Pro (adjustable injector). Both fall on the milder side. Also might want to consider Rockwell 6S as a semi-adjustable.
This free ad brought to you by Blackland Razors

I find the progress aggressive even on the lowest setting.

I get intrigued when I see the progress and the 34C compared. I must have a different progress, or a different 34c, because there’s no way I could find the 34c mildness in the progress 1 to 5 range.

I find the progress aggressive even on the lowest setting.

I get intrigued when I see the progress and the 34C compared. I must have a different progress, or a different 34c, because there’s no way I could find the 34c mildness in the progress 1 to 5 range.
The 34C is roughly comparable to the Edwin Jagger DE89, which is a mild razor.
If the Progress is that much more aggressive than the 34C even at the low setting, that's what I'm trying to avoid. Thanks for posting that.

The 34C is roughly comparable to the Edwin Jagger DE89, which is a mild razor.
If the Progress is that much more aggressive than the 34C even at the low setting, that's what I'm trying to avoid. Thanks for posting that.
For me it is. The exposure is positive even at 1 and the head geometry is nothing like the 34.

If you shave WTG/XTG only, you may notice this a little less, but the minute you put the progress ATG you’ll know what I’m talking about.

Again, it’s just my personal experience.

For me it is. The exposure is positive even at 1 and the head geometry is nothing like the 34.

If you shave WTG/XTG only, you may notice this a little less, but the minute you put the progress ATG you’ll know what I’m talking about.

Appreciate the feedback.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I invested too much in 2 Progress razors: short and long handles and 2 Mergress razors: also short and long handles before I shaved with one.

I finally got around to using both the short handle ones. I tried both twice each and I can’t say I had a relaxing shave with either of them. I was pretty disappointed at the time and put them away for a while.

I’m having so many great shaves with my Top Razors, it’s hard for me to stick with something else for a couple months until I might master it. First world problem, to be sure.

Top Bottom