What's new

Suggest a Must-Have Razor

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was going to do an edit but it was too late. If you prefer heavier razors I’m sure the SS Timeless models would do as well as the titanium.
You might have noticed: I’m experimenting with Ti and Stainless Steel head combinations at the moment. When we get home today, I’ll have all the parts for further testing. I plan to weigh the caps and base plates for the 0.68OC and report which I prefer. Unfortunately, this won’t mean much to anyone else.

I like a certain balance towards the razor head. I found the complete Ti to be a bit light and the SS head with the Ti Crown handle to be a bit “off”, so I’ll try a SS cap with the TI base plate along with the Ti cap and SS base plate and see what I think.

That is one of the nice things about Timeless. The parts tend to be in stock all the time. They are wonderfully helpful and ship the orders the same day the order is placed.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Please forgive me for not reading all 4 pages (must leave to pick up other car), but the only must have razor is one that's a good fit for your skin/beard/technique. There are lots of "wanna have" razors and that's fine, but only one must have.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The answer may turn on why it would be a must. Is it to complete or fill a niche in a collection? Is it to have one each "kind," such a DE open and closed, slant, AC, SE, etc.? Is it to find the unfindable and unassailable best (or most rare or most expensive)? Is it to find the one that gives your unique face, beard, other tools, and technique the best shave, both close and irritation free? Not being a collector, I opted for the last reason. The others could be fun, too. Just because I found one that tics my boxes does not mean that others have not fired a bit of RAD within me.

I’d say the Merkur Progress 500 is a must-have razor. It’s so classic and it’s also a very nice shaver. There’s a reason it has been in continuous production for seventy years. Far superior to any Gillette because it has a glorious ivory plastic knob and you can get one brand new.

9B91EDCF-00E0-45D5-BA58-35B4BEA906AB.jpeg

In terms of a modern razor that is very well-priced, very well-made, and shaves exceptionally, I would propose the new Karve Bison. It feels great and really gives a wonderful shave. At this price I would contend it’s pretty much a must-have.

9087EBA8-367B-4994-A006-C8A529307EC8.jpeg

The answer may turn on why it would be a must. Is it to complete or fill a niche in a collection? Is it to have one each "kind," such a DE open and closed, slant, AC, SE, etc.? Is it to find the unfindable and unassailable best (or most rare or most expensive)? Is it to find the one that gives your unique face, beard, other tools, and technique the best shave, both close and irritation free? Not being a collector, I opted for the last reason. The others could be fun, too. Just because I found one that tics my boxes does not mean that others have not fired a bit of RAD within me.
Good question. For me I think I am a bit obsessive/compulsive with razors. O/W I would have only the best single one that works for me plus some vintage razors for collecting only. I would say the best fit for me is the Merkur slant, but the Leaf twig or thorn is starting to sound like it might unseat the slant.

1/4 of my razors are Techs. They are an easy razor to get good results with. I like the ones with triangle slots the most, whatever you call that style. I like to use them with all different handles, except the super short travel Tech handle.

Flare tip SuperSpeeds are also an easy razor to get good results with.

For modern razors, I like The Razor Company stainless steel razor.

Top Bottom