What's new

Gifted A Plastic DE Razor

Hello everyone. I received a Filament slant DE razor today. No idea what it is and did not know they existed until now. It is open comb and very light. I am very thankful for the razor. I will have to give it a shot. Question, as a newbie, is this a razor to grow into? I am learning my technique on the EJ DE89. As I understand it, a slant razor can be more "efficent" so to speak? Thank you very much for the razor.

Attachments

• IMG_20240313_163038747.jpg
    IMG_20240313_163038747.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240313_162939552.jpg
    IMG_20240313_162939552.jpg
    812.4 KB · Views: 36

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I use razors that are a half step to a whole step more efficient than your EJ DE89. The Filament is one of them.... I didn't have any problems adjusting to the lighter weight but I've been wet shaving just a bit longer than you.... Only two years.

If you take it slow and easy... let the razor guide you to its preferred angle, I don't think you'll have any issues... For me, I'd call it mild but efficient... but YMMV, as always. Don't over tighten the handle when you install the blade... I use a M5 nylon washer with all my razors, including the Filament. I think they prevent or at least, help prevent over tightening.

I don't know which DE blades you have on hand, but since it's new for you, I'd use one with which you've become comfortable, but not one of the ultra sharp ones.... I use a Perma-Sharp in mine but that might be too much for your initial trial. The Wizamet you have pictured should be a perfect match... not overly sharp but very smooth... Try that one.

I hope you love it as much as I love mine.... I get 12 hour shaves with it... and it's a very cost effective razor.... even more so since you received it as a gift... Congrats on the gift... and a very heartfelt "thank you" to the giver...

I use razors that are a half step to a whole step more efficient than your EJ DE89. The Filament is one of them.... I didn't have any problems adjusting to the lighter weight but I've been wet shaving just a bit longer than you.... Only two years.

If you take it slow and easy... let the razor guide you to its preferred angle, I don't think you'll have any issues... For me, I'd call it mild but efficient... but YMMV, as always. Don't over tighten the handle when you install the blade... I use a M5 nylon washer with all my razors, including the Filament. I think they prevent or at least, help prevent over tightening.

I don't know which DE blades you have on hand, but since it's new for you, I'd use one with which you've become comfortable, but not one of the ultra sharp ones.... I use a Perma-Sharp in mine but that might be too much for your initial trial. The Wizamet you have pictured should be a perfect match... not overly sharp but very smooth... Try that one.

I hope you love it as much as I love mine.... I get 12 hour shaves with it... and it's a very cost effective razor.... even more so since you received it as a gift... Congrats on the gift... and a very heartfelt "thank you" to the giver...
I find the razor interesting. It is plastic....that makes it different. Frosted look rather than chrome. The M5 nylon washer is a good idea.

I have the Bakelite models that are slightly different. I like them. If I remember right, that is slightly milder than mine. Just don’t apply more pressure since it feels so light — don’t ask me how I know.

I have one of the Filament razors, and believe they're ABS and not the old time Bakelite or resin that broke more easily once aged. That said, just be careful not to over tighten it, even with the brass fittings. As careful as I am, mine has still developed some stress cracks on the plate. - It still works, however there are visible cracks forming in the plate.

Shave wise, it is fairly efficient, and surprisingly easy to shave with for a slant. One of the few slants I've used that didn't grab a scar, yet shaved close.

Top Bottom