What's new

What to add to collection next

I currently have an EJ DE89, Muhle R41, Tradere Gen 2 OC, Gillette Toggle, and Feather Artisan DX Shavette. My father recently gifted me the Tradere and Gillette Toggle, but asked that I not use the Toggle to shave, because it is worth a decent amount, though from research, it seems like the Tradere may be worth as much or more.

Ever since getting the Gillette Toggle, I fell in love with the butterfly action, as well as the idea of an adjustable (not sure how necessary an adjustable is for me). But several people have mentioned I should use the the Toggle, especially since I don't plan on ever selling it, but I don't want to break the Toggle mechanism, which I heard is a fail point on the razor.

So this lead me to wanting a Fatboy and/or Slim if I don't use the Toggle. So I am curious as to what people have to say about that.

Also, I sold a Murker 39C, and wondering if I made a mistake. I never used it (also a razor my dad gave me), but saw the 37C and wondering if I am missing something by not having a slant razor. So I'm wondering how the 37C compares to the R41. Would the 37C potentially get me a closer shave or provide any benefits over the R41? I heard slant razors can help prevent ingrowns, which I do suffer from, but have been slowly combatting with a new skin care routine.

TL:DR...

1. Should I use my Gillette Toggle or buy a Fatboy / Slim?
  2. I have an R41, would a 37C provide as close / better of a shave? (Ingrown-prone skin)
  3. Also, I shaved with the Tradere Gen 2 OC and found it quite "non-efficient", especially for an open comb and compared to the R41.

Attachments

• IMG_1738.jpeg
    IMG_1738.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 8CCEC28D-B32D-4D54-9077-A2D848E140B6.jpeg
    8CCEC28D-B32D-4D54-9077-A2D848E140B6.jpeg
    518 KB · Views: 41

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Your Dad gave you some very nice razors... Nice Dad to have.

I'm the wrong guy to answer your questions as I've never used any of the razors you mentioned with one exception... and even that isn't an exact match. I have the 37C... the 39C's lighter weight brother. I doubt you'd find it as efficient as the R41, but I get 8 to 10 hour shaves with mine. I got it about the same time as I bought an ATT S1 DE Slant as they were closing up shop and they provide very similar shaves so I put the 37C in a storage box and use the Stainless Steel S1.

I do really like the face feel of the 37C... it's mild but relatively efficient... not a slouch, by any means.

The balance of the Fatboy is better than the slim IMO, however the thinner head of the slim gets the tighter areas like under the nose easier.

I have a toggle but don’t use it much. Ergonomically the Fatboy is my favorite, then the super adjustable 84, slim and then the toggle.

Notice I have all of them. The toggle is an experience but nothing too special outside of being a collectible.

Your Dad gave you some very nice razors... Nice Dad to have.

I'm the wrong guy to answer your questions as I've never used any of the razors you mentioned with one exception... and even that isn't an exact match. I have the 37C... the 39C's lighter weight brother. I doubt you'd find it as efficient as the R41, but I get 8 to 10 hour shaves with mine. I got it about the same time as I bought an ATT S1 DE Slant as they were closing up shop and they provide very similar shaves so I put the 37C in a storage box and use the Stainless Steel S1.

I do really like the face feel of the 37C... it's mild but relatively efficient... not a slouch, by any means.
Those are some good points, thank you. Having shaved with the Tradere made me realize not all open combs are aggressive. I should look for a more aggressive slant but seems like I have what I need (R41 and Feather DX provide incredibly close shaves), especially considering I am a one pass shaver.

I think I'm going to hold off and just get a Fatboy and Slim down the road.

The balance of the Fatboy is better than the slim IMO, however the thinner head of the slim gets the tighter areas like under the nose easier.

I have a toggle but don’t use it much. Ergonomically the Fatboy is my favorite, then the super adjustable 84, slim and then the toggle.

Notice I have all of them. The toggle is an experience but nothing too special outside of being a collectible.
Any tips on buying a Fatboy or Slim? I was originally set on getting them from Razor Emporium, as they'll definitely be in good working order and can be plated in rhodium, but they're quite pricey. Then there's ebay for much much cheaper, but with the risk of not functioning properly.

Your best bet is to watch the BST forum here at B&B. I bought a very nice Slim off eBay a few years ago for twice what I've seen them selling for here on the BST. It seems like they do show up infrequently though.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
There are several reputable Etsy shops who have them at the moment.... but you are right, neither is exactly cheap there.

It’s a tough call to decide where to buy. On eBay unless a seller is experienced you can end up with a non functioning razor. Tell tale signs of less than desirable are excessive brassing, uneven guard and worn red indicator along with the numbers gone.

I would imagine at one time I purchased and then sold 30 or so Fatboys and Slims. Most were salvageable and all it took was a good cleaning. I found my Fatboy from a dealer at an antique store. It was a near mint model and it’s one razor I won’t sell.

Personally, I would post a WTB in the forum here and try to be patient. It’s hard to be patient when RAD happens.

The 39 will not give you as efficient a shave as the R41. As far as the toggle...I'd leave it. Maybe shave with it ONCE. I had the original Tradere serial #10. I sold it. Now if you're looking for an adjustable, one of the best imo, is the Pearl Flexi. I have the OC but they also have the SB. My OC is extremely efficient and easy to use...kinda has "Bulldog" type of looks. It's also priced and manufactured really well.

Great advice above!

My $0.02: purchase a Slim (and perhaps a FatBoy) to add to the ‘collection! And I would use the toggle also!

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:
Ha! Too true. I kinda want a slant too though, heard they're good for sensitive skin. But now I really want the Rex Konsul, as if I'm going to drop that kind of money on a razor lol, at least not for a while. 🤪

If you want "efficient" take a look at the Ikon Tek.
I'm yet to try this razor, but here is an iKon my dad gave me, couldn't find too much info on it. I think it is an early gen.

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpeg
    IMG_1741.jpeg
    625.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1740.jpeg
    IMG_1740.jpeg
    694 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1739.jpeg
    IMG_1739.jpeg
    697.5 KB · Views: 12
I would definitely shave with the Toggle, not a lot, but I would need to use it occasionally.

Of course a capable and practical alternative, for regular use, would be a Fatboy (or Slim).

If it was me, and I wanted a vintage adjustable, I'd buy a nice Fatboy ($100-150) and reserve the Toggle for special occasions, maybe 2-3 times per year.

I would definitely shave with the Toggle, not a lot, but I would need to use it occasionally.

Of course a capable and practical alternative, for regular use, would be a Fatboy (or Slim).

If it was me, and I wanted a vintage adjustable, I'd buy a nice Fatboy ($100-150) and reserve the Toggle for special occasions, maybe 2-3 times per year.
That's a good point. I should shave with the Toggle to see if I even want a Fatboy or Slim. I mean I'm sure I'll get them eventually, but I'm thinking I'm pretty set with the razors I currently have for actual shaving functions.

I have multiples of the Gillette Adjustable (except the toggle) razors and enjoy the shaves that they give. I would say to use the Toggle at least once to know the shape/style is something you like and then make a decision on what direction you want to go from there.

Also, have you thought of trying any SE, Injector, or Artist club razors? They are each their own rabbit hole to go down...speaking from my personal experience.

Any tips on buying a Fatboy or Slim? I was originally set on getting them from Razor Emporium, as they'll definitely be in good working order and can be plated in rhodium, but they're quite pricey. Then there's ebay for much much cheaper, but with the risk of not functioning properly.
There’s a few members with good reputations that have random ones stashed away. When (if you don’t have enough posts already) post an ad in BST. We actually posted one for sale in May that didn’t sell that was mechanically perfect and good for a Replate for instance.

Top Bottom