What's new

Between Merkur 34C and Muhle R41

I've been using a Merkur 34C for about 10 years, but I dropped and broke it this weekend.
I have also owned a Muhle R41 for about 1/2 that time.

I liked the Merkur, but felt it might be a little mild for me, so I tried the R41 which was NOT too mild for me. Try as I might, I don't think it can become my daily driver. I do use it when I have a few days' growth. Between the 2, the Muhle is clearly much nicer fit and finish, but I kind of preferred the cruder knurling on the Merkur because it didn't get slippery, which the Muhle does. Not a big deal, but just giving you the info.

So, I need to replace the 34C, but I'd like something a step toward the Muhle in aggression. Something that I can manage on a daily shave. Maybe, adjustable, maybe not. I'll still have the R41 for mowing down a few day's growth.

I'm not a collector. Would rather not invest in a premium...no judgement, it's just not the kind of year I'm having. Just a nice, quality DE razor that I can use every day. I'm reading a bunch of posts, but also thought I would ask those of you who have tried more razors.

I use a Simpson's brush and usually Mitchell's Wool Fat, but I like to mix it up with my soaps now and again.

Thanks in advance,

EDIT: Thoughts on a Muhle R89? Would that give me a two razor set that covers daily vs recovery shave?

Game Changers and Lupos appear to be unobtainable at the moment. (Out of Stock). They do have a Mamba

I appreciate all of the suggestions, please keep them coming.

I second @ewk regarding the Rocca.

I also read your statement regarding the level of investment. The Game Changer might be something, but only if you are CONUS.

Other great budget friendly razors are:

• Fatip Grande
  • Goodfellas Bayonetta
  • Greencult 1.1 (does have blade feel)

The R89 is definitely a great razor that can deliver close shaves if you pay attention to angle and use a good blade. I got it fairly recently and I like it a lot even though I have an unconscious preference for more aggressive razors.

Another option would be to go vintage if your willingness allows it of course. Gillette TTO razors come to mind are the Rocket or Super Speed.

Enjoy choosing!

Guido

I just remembered that there was one of the more aggressive red tip super speeds and a super adjustable on the BST. Those could also be a good choice. I've never used a red tip, but enjoy my old style 53 super speed. I like my father's super adjustable which seems to shave as well as my slim.

@troika I have been going through the same situation. My longtime 34C has corroded on one side of the bar, and I decided to try some different gear.

I got a Muhle R41 as my first alternative. It's an awesome shave but only for using once in a while.

Next up, I got a RazoRock German 37. This is a recreation of an older Merkur 36C slant-bar that is a little more aggressive than the current 37C slant-bar that Merkur makes. It's a smooth shave, but it also is probably too aggressive for everyday use.

Currently, I'm trying a RazoRock Game Changer .68P. This is a less aggressive razor than my 34C (but also smoother), and I'm finding it harder to get a satisfactory shave. A Feather blade helps a lot. I've got more aggressive base plates for the Game Changer on the way from RazoRock to test out.

From what I understand, the R89 is much milder and less efficient than a 34C, and you might not be happy with it.

I'd recommend trying the Game Changer .76P. If you don't like its efficiency level, you can go either up or down for only about $25 by buying the interchangeable .68P (less aggressive) or .84P (more aggressive) base plates from RazoRock. Probably the best deal out there.

Actually, it looks like there are some Game Changers available. The 76P is not, but 68 OC or the 58 Lupo is. The 76 plates are, but they don't seem to sell the handles separately:confused1

I just shaved with my R41. Lots of prep, tried a new blade (I have a few choices). Got a good shave, but there was some weeping. I may try to shave with it this week, just to see if I think I could get used to it as a daily, but it's never seemed that way.

I appreciate you all.

Actually, it looks like there are some Game Changers available. The 76P is not, but 68 OC or the 58 Lupo is. The 76 plates are, but they don't seem to sell the handles separately:confused1

I just shaved with my R41. Lots of prep, tried a new blade (I have a few choices). Got a good shave, but there was some weeping. I may try to shave with it this week, just to see if I think I could get used to it as a daily, but it's never seemed that way.

I appreciate you all.

They do, but for some reason they aren't that easy to find on the Italian Barber site. I don't know why. Super Knurl Handle is linked here, but you can scroll to the bottom of the page to look at the 'you may also be interested in' for other handle styles that may tickle your fancy. If you are looking at the base plate only, you will need a top cap, which is also out of stock at the moment.

I have a super knurl, but I far prefer the Barber Pole and Vintage Thick handles. You can also get handles that will work from Maggards, though I've never ordered from there. I'm in Canada. Razorock uses the standard M5 x .8 thread.

That's helpful, thank you. It looks like top caps are out of stock, though, so I would still need to order a complete razor, but it's good to know that I could order a different base plate if I wanted to move a little bit left or right.

I'm thinking the Open Comb 68 might be just what I'm looking for, especially since the 76 P isn't in stock as a razor right now. I have to say though, I got a great shave with my R41 today. I've never really tried to live with it as a daily driver and I may give it a few days. It's definitely something to respect and go slowly with.

Before you buy something else, contact Merkur in Germany. They'll likely send you a top plate or bar for free. That's at least my experience from 10 or so years ago when I had some corrosion on a Merkur because of poor plating. If that won't work out, I'd probably skip Merkur altogether. When it comes to German razors, I think Mühle makes a better product. YMMV.

If you like the general feel of the Merkur 34c, but want something a bit more aggressive, the first thing that comes to mind is the 37c slant. Another option would be the Razorock 'German 37' mentioned in one of the previous posts. The 'German 37' is a bit more aggressive than the current Merkur 37c, being based on an earlier design.

I wouldn't mind using the 'German 37' as a daily driver, but would probably use a milder blade with it such as Lord Silver Star, Astra SS, etc. I do like the razor with sharper blades such as Perma-Sharp or Nacet, though it's a bit more aggressive that way.

That's helpful, thank you. It looks like top caps are out of stock, though, so I would still need to order a complete razor, but it's good to know that I could order a different base plate if I wanted to move a little bit left or right.

I'm thinking the Open Comb 68 might be just what I'm looking for, especially since the 76 P isn't in stock as a razor right now. I have to say though, I got a great shave with my R41 today. I've never really tried to live with it as a daily driver and I may give it a few days. It's definitely something to respect and go slowly with.

The great thing about Game Changers is that you only need that one initial complete razor, and then buying additional baseplates is all you need for the other GC types.

The Merkur 37C is a good option. Extremely comfortable, very smooth but really efficient. A Fatip open comb is another great razor (the Piccolo being my favorite). It has some blade feel but it is extremely comfortable and intuitive to use.

They are inexpensive too 👍

I appreciate everyone's advice to my question. Here's where I think I am:

If I were to order today, I think it would be a GameChanger .76 P

I really appreciate the decade of use from my Merkur 34C, but I did feel after a few years that it was a little too mild. Feathers became my default as I learned to DE shave and it was a solid choice, but I found myself wishing it was a little more effective, which is why I bought the Muhle R41 about 1/2 way through. It always felt like an over-correction and reading other people's experience and looking at these aggression charts, it seems I'm not alone on that.

I'm afraid the GC .68 P will be a better, more refined version of the Merkur, but maybe not enough of a move to the right on that scale.

It's possible that I could get by with the .84 P as a daily, but some of the ways that it gets described sounds like the things that have kept me from moving to the R41 as a daily.

The .67 OC ... maybe, but it seems like the .76 would get me a bit further towards that refined effectiveness that I want my Merkur replacement to be.

The thing is that as a razor, the only GC's available as I type this are .84 P with a titanium handle or a .67 OC with a few handle choices.

So, what I've been doing is trying to see how I do with the R41 daily. I've never made it a week with it, but I haven't tried in a while. I put a fresh less sharp blade in it and have had 2 exciting, but relatively uneventful shaves in a row with it. My neck feels a little raw, but no nicks or major chaffe. MUCH better shaves than I have been getting with the Merkur. I want better shaves with an amount of irritation that is acceptable for daily shaving. I'm going to keep the R41. I doubt it eliminates the need for a daily driver, but we'll see. It edges me back toward somewhat more mild as a compliment to it, though. If I didn't have either, I might just try the .84 P and work backward from there if it needed to become my more aggressive razor.

So, I think that is the .76, but if I can manage the R41 for a week or two and the options don't open up again, maybe that means the .84 could be a more gentle daily for me. Anyone used both enough to opine?

If I feel tortured by the R41 and feel like I need something immediately and the options are what the are currently, I might try the .67 OC, knowing that I can swap to a different CG baseplate if I need to move up or (less likely) down on that aggression scale.

Reactions: cf1
Okay, so... the .76 is in stock and I've got one in my cart.

I just had my 3rd day in a row shave with the R41. I put a fresh Dorco blade in it for the first shave. I've had that pack for a while, but haven't used those blades much and am not too sure what to think of them, except that they aren't as sharp as the Feathers I've been using in my Merkur. I felt like that blade was too dull today and trashed it after the shave. The shave went pretty well over all and end result is great all 3 days, like really great shave. But my neck is a raw field of razor burn, lots of weeping. Might have been the duller blade and I got a little greedy with that last touch up on the gills. I kind of think that I could learn to use this as a daily...kind of. Despite that, I'm not really having 2nd thoughts about .84 instead. If I can use the R41 daily, I should do it. If I am going to have a 2nd razor, it should have more contrast and I think the .74 game changer would. Then I could use the R41 as I have been, for multi-day growth and when I get bored.

So...hit "check out" or give the R41 a fresh blade and a few more days to see if I think I can live with it? Hmmm....

Top Bottom