What's new

New Merkur 34c Arrived

I used my 34C exclusively for a decade. Served me pretty well all those years. A good neutral, drama-free razor.

It has a zamac head, so watch the integrity of the plating. It'll corrode if the metal under the plating is exposed. That's what happened to mine, unfortunately.

Hello everyone. I have been doing a lot of farm work for the parentsl units. I have an Amazon list, which I got a surprise from. A parental unit bought me a new Merkur 34c. That is really cool. I now have three tried and true or ole' reliable razors. A 1974 Gillette Tech which was dad's, an Edwin Jagger DE89, and now the 34c. I am excited. Fun stuff.
My first DE years ago. Still a great razor and I occasionally (for ole time's sake) take it out for a spin.

Last edited:
To reduce the chances of the chrome plating corroding:

. . . . Occasionally, put a bit of Vaseline (or silicone grease if you want to be fancy) on the threaded section of the cap.

. Charles

3 good razors. Now stop. You have 3x the razors you will ever need
Quaznoid...
braveheart-poster-e1432306030831-672x500.jpg

Friend of the frugal, foe of corporate tyranny.

But...he's not wrong. And in time, you'll acknowledge that.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The 34C HD is an excellent shaver. And it's an excellent razor for anyone, both the novice and the most experienced wet shaver. Please, do not fall into the misconception of "being only for beginners". It can really serve you well for a lifetime.

Agree wholeheartedly with the above comments by @Marco. The 34C was my first DE.

I got distracted somewhere along my wet shaving journey, fruitlessly chasing my holy grail aerospace age mach 1 speed capable metal razors only to come back a year later to my simple Zamac headed Merkur. I am now a slant shaver and have acquired the Merkur 37C which is the slanted cousin of the 34C.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I have been doing a lot of farm work for the parentsl units. I have an Amazon list, which I got a surprise from. A parental unit bought me a new Merkur 34c. That is really cool. I now have three tried and true or ole' reliable razors. A 1974 Gillette Tech which was dad's, an Edwin Jagger DE89, and now the 34c. I am excited. Fun stuff.
Question for you and the panel: Is having the Merkur and the Edwin Jagger redundant? I looked at the EJ and passed because I already have the Merkur 42C which is as Mild as the 34c.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Question for you and the panel: Is having the Merkur and the Edwin Jagger redundant? I looked at the EJ and passed because I already have the Merkur 42C which is as Mild as the 34c.
No, it is not Sir if you refer to the Edwin Jagger DE89. The DE89 is milder than the 34C. Shave-wise I prefer the EJ DE89 (and the Mühle R89) to the Merkur 34C.

My son-in-law has been wetshaving with the same Merkur 34C (his only DE) for over 15 years. Until a move in 2020, when I began shaving less frequently, a 34G was my favorite. While my S-I-L always uses a Feather blade in his 34C, I preferred a milder IP Red or Astra SP in my 34G.

Top Bottom