What's new

Recommendations for new open-comb razor

Hello Guys,

I’ve been using a DE razor for about 10 years now. I use it to outline my beard, shave cheeks and pubic hair. I started off with a Merkur 34C which I find perfect, and I also use a Parker 99R. I find myself using the Merkur 34c more for down below as the Parker 99r is more aggressive but I have no issue using it.

I shave my cheeks weekly and pubic hair about every 4, sometimes every 2 weeks and I find that the razors need rinsing after every stroke as it is a lot of growth down there. For that reason, I’m thinking an open comb maybe be better as it will be more aggressive and the open comb nature of the razor may require less passes and rinsing.

I’m looking at buying either the Merkur 41c (1904) which I’ve read is the same aggressiveness as the 34c, the Fatip Piccolo which I’ve read is less aggressive than the Muhle R41 (which I was considering but I’m thinking it’s overkill and dangerous for down there), or the Parker 24c which is supposed to be less aggressive than the Fatip. I would like something a bit more aggressive than the 34c and possibly a bit less than the Parker 99R. I prefer the short handle of the 34c than the long handle of the 99r, I find I have more control with my strokes and better technique with the shorter handle. When I’m outlining, I find the Parker 99r to be more precise and efficient than the Merkur 34c, but I get no razor burn with the 34c afterwards, but to be honest I can now mitigate the razor burn I used to get with 99r with a better a lather on the cheeks.

The main reason I’m think of buying a new razor is for pubic hair and I’d prefer to buy an open comb razor but I will probably use it on my cheeks at some point. My budget is around £30 and main contenders are Merkur 41c (1904), Fatip Piccolo and Parker 24c.

What do you guys suggest? What are your thoughts, recommendations?

I can’t compare it to the other razors you listed but I do have a Merkur 1904 open comb and I really like it. I also use it on my beard and think it works very well. Is it More aggressive than the other Merkur you have? That I can’t speak to but something tells me the 1904 open comb is as mild as the Merkur but maybe a touch more efficient . I do have a Piccolo open comb on the way that I hope arrives soon.

Last edited:
A cheap experiment into the open comb world is the RazoRock Old Type. It’s mild but efficient. It’s made by Yaqi and you can also buy it directly from Yaqi on AliExpress if RazorRock isn’t available for shipping where you live.

I really need to use mine more.

Thank for sharing guys. At the moment I think I'm leaning a bit more towards the Piccolo as it seems more aggressive and I think that would probably help in terms of efficiency. I've read that that the 1904 has negative blade exposure so a little pressure is required but it's the opposite for the Piccolo. The only thing that's stopping me getting the Piccolo is what I've read about quality control and blade alignment issues, and also the fact it's sold out everywhere at the moment from online UK merchants. The handle on the Merkur 41c looks legendary though. What do you guys think about the Muhle R41, overkill?

The new R41 is an excellent razor much better than the original which for me was a blood letting device. It's also a pretty good price. For shaving south of the border...I dunno.Maybe an electric clipper first and then the razor? At that point you might not need a new razor. But then again...I dunno.

The new R41 is an excellent razor much better than the original which for me was a blood letting device. It's also a pretty good price. For shaving south of the border...I dunno.Maybe an electric clipper first and then the razor? At that point you might not need a new razor. But then again...I dunno.
Thanks for sharing. I've used an electric clipper in the past (for down south) and it's not something I wish to experience again, I always get micro cuts with some of the skin getting trapped between the blades. I prefer to use a razor over that even if it means more time and passes. I think I've come to the realisation that considering I've used a DE for past 10 years without any issue (just takes longer, depending on growth) I probably don't "need" a new razor, but rather I've got a desire to try a new open-comb.

Thanks for sharing. I've used an electric clipper in the past (for down south) and it's not something I wish to experience again, I always get micro cuts with some of the skin getting trapped between the blades. I prefer to use a razor over that even if it means more time and passes. I think I've come to the realisation that considering I've used a DE for past 10 years without any issue (just takes longer, depending on growth) I probably don't "need" a new razor, but rather I've got a desire to try a new open-comb.
what was not mentioned is open comb razors are better lather managers. They allow more lather on each stroke. More lather is a barrier to cuts and razor burn. The Fatip Grande has a hollow handle. It is 80mm in length. I used one exclusively for more than three years, an excellent razor albeit the blade adjustment an unfriendly quirk. I would buy a Picolo and a Grande. The parts are interchangeable but only with Fatip’s. There threads are different from all other DE’s. Between the two handles you may find your huckleberry.

The Grande Hollow Handle

IMG_0472.jpeg

A Razor Rock Solid Stainless Handle

IMG_0470.jpeg

A cheap experiment into the open comb world is the RazoRock Old Type. It’s mild but efficient. It’s made by Yaqi and you can also buy it directly from Yaqi on AliExpress if RazorRock isn’t available for shipping where you live.

I really need to use mine more.
Thanks for sharing. I was looking through their products, there are so many! I saw there SLOC, looks intriguing. Will look into that later.

what was not mentioned is open comb razors are better lather managers. They allow more lather on each stroke. More lather is a barrier to cuts and razor burn. The Fatip Grande has a hollow handle. It is 80mm in length. I used one exclusively for more than three years, an excellent razor albeit the blade adjustment an unfriendly quirk. I would buy a Picolo and a Grande. The parts are interchangeable but only with Fatip’s. There threads are different from all other DE’s. Between the two handles you may find your huckleberry.

The Grande Hollow Handle

View attachment 1772246

A Razor Rock Solid Stainless Handle

View attachment 1772247
Thanks that's really useful to know. If I get the Fatip will probably be the Piccolo because I really do prefer shorter and heavier handles. I've just seen a SLOC from RazoRock looks interesting. Seems like my number of choices have increased rather than decreased lol. Really appreciate everyone's feedback!

Thanks that's really useful to know. If I get the Fatip will probably be the Piccolo because I really do prefer shorter and heavier handles. I've just seen a SLOC from RazoRock looks interesting. Seems like my number of choices have increased rather than decreased lol. Really appreciate everyone's feedback!
Once I started using the Grande OC I would not go back to a partial or CC. I recently replaced my Grande with a 95 OC Lupo sporting a Chiseled Face titanium handle. Very expensive but worth it to me.

IMG_0491.jpeg

Have you guys tried any SLOC razors? What are your thoughts? Do they practically perform how they're advertised?
It’s not much help but I used one years back. I didn’t love them but I am also gravitating towards open comb razors now when I didn’t love them back then. I did load a Kai blade in my 1904 open comb earlier today because of this thread and honestly it’s a real good shaver. It’s as comfortable as a feather as d2 and it did it good not great job on my trouble spot on my neck.

Have you guys tried any SLOC razors? What are your thoughts? Do they practically perform how they're advertised?
The SLOC is an enigma for me. Many people love it and claim it’s mild. However, whenever I use it, it causes irritation. Ironically, I can shave with the Muhle R41 daily without a single issue, and that’s one of the most aggressive razors on the planet. I’ll have to try the SLOC again sometime just because.

One of the first razors I used was the Yaqi Melon SLOC. It was a very mild razor and delivered excellent DFS shaves. However if you wanted to go beyond a DFS you needed multiple passes and extra buffing. I would comment on this point. Many shavers will over work mild razors for results that are not in the design to do so. If shaves beyond DFS are your goal. You need to look at more aggressive designs but they do require better technique. The SLOC,s do make and distribute more lather in your strokes. This will not make up for poor technique but will help with the maximum lather protection available.

The SLOC is an enigma for me. Many people love it and claim it’s mild. However, whenever I use it, it causes irritation. Ironically, I can shave with the Muhle R41 daily without a single issue, and that’s one of the most aggressive razors on the planet. I’ll have to try the SLOC again sometime just because.
Wow, that's interesting. Let me know how it goes. I'm probably going to get Piccolo or maybe the Yaqi SLOC if I can find enough info on it and be convinced it's as good as the Piccolo.

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback!

Wow, that's interesting. Let me know how it goes. I'm probably going to get Piccolo or maybe the Yaqi SLOC if I can find enough info on it and be convinced it's as good as the Piccolo.

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback!
The Yaqi SLOC is a mild razor. The piccolo is a medium aggressive razor. Both excellent razors depending on your shave goals. In other words the Piccolo can shave closer with fewer shave strokes, because of its efficiency. A BBS with a Piccolo is easier achieved because of its efficiency.

Top Bottom