What's new

Need recommendations

I have been wet shaving for almost 8 years now. I started with a Parker 99R. It works but can be irritating on my neck. I’ve tried multiple blades but no luck. So my next purchase was a Merkur 42c. It’s super nice but way too mild. It is tolerable with feather blades, but I never am able to get the BBS that I’m wanting. Is there a middle of the road that might work. I don’t mind spending up to $200, but I don’t want to buy 10 razors to find the best one. Any help is appreciated.

A simple Progress Adjustable?

2BBB97E8-AB2A-4479-9F96-0014EE4C2B87.jpeg

$200 gives you a lot of great options. Along with what has been mentioned I’d look at the RazoRock line particularly the Game Changer and Lupo. Great idea to get something with a return policy like a Brassbird. Have a good time with your journey.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to the B&B community.

Lots of great suggestions already but I’ll add the Lambda Athena to your list of razors to research. It’s just over your price limit but not by much.

I prefer the mild to medium razors that are still efficient enough to shave my old man, coarse whiskers. We have a 5 month old granddaughter now so I don’t kid myself about a BBS shave. I look for a shave that lasts for 12 hours before I feel any whiskers poking through on my chin.

Welcome to B&B! :smile:

I would recommend a Rex Envoy, which I consider 'middle of the road'. Not to mild, and not to aggressive. I love everything about it.
It's a beautifully made instrument that costs around $150.00.

An adjustable would make sense. The Merkur Progress has been around for a long time, but has some quirks. I've used it for years.

The Pearl Flexi (which I just bought, but haven't received) doesn't seem to have any quirks. It's heavy, fully-machined brass, with a good range of adjustment, and lots of people like it.

The nice thing about an adjustable is that when you think:

. . . "I wonder if I'd like something a little more aggressive . . . "

you can answer the question without spending any money.

. Charles

An adjustable would make sense. The Merkur Progress has been around for a long time, but has some quirks. I've used it for years.

The Pearl Flexi (which I just bought, but haven't received) doesn't seem to have any quirks. It's heavy, fully-machined brass, with a good range of adjustment, and lots of people like it.

The nice thing about an adjustable is that when you think:

. . . "I wonder if I'd like something a little more aggressive . . . "

you can answer the question without spending any money.

. Charles
What are your thoughts on the Rockwell 6s compared to this?

Welcome aboard!

Some GREAT SUGGESTIONS in this thread. I might add a ‘vintage’ suggestion, perhaps a Slim or Fatboy??

Timeless Ti .95 is my favorite I've used. I also have a Karve which is just as good I just prefer the shave angle of the Timeless a bit more

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I don’t mind spending up to $200, but I don’t want to buy 10 razors to find the best one. Any help is appreciated.
It's a wrong approach. Just going by public vote or lucky guess won't yield you the BEST result for sure.
You can start by buying two and selling the worse of the two... that might be a cost effective way to narrow down preferences.

Timeless .95 OC
Timeless Slim OC
Blackland Blackbird SB
Mühle Rocca R94
Yaqi Harlequin
Yaqi Mellon SS
Yaqi Vostok 1.05 DC
Razorock Lupo .95 OC
Game Changer 1.05 SB
Lambda Ares/Athena

I don't want to sound cheeky, but our chance to pick the best fit for you are slim. I haven't even mentioned Yates or Henson yet. I wouldn't pick a Henson, but a lot of people absolutely love it. No idea about you... see, I am afraid you won't be able to pick one and be happy.

It would also be fairly abnormal to read this forum and end up with one razor. Unless it is a Tech.

Top Bottom