What's new

Need recommendations

Tatara Masamune (milder) or Nodachi (more efficient)—or selected parts from each. There are also SB and OC baseplate options for each. The Tatara folks will help you figure out which is the best bet for you, by email or chat.

It's a wrong approach. Just going by public vote or lucky guess won't yield you the BEST result for sure.
You can start by buying two and selling the worse of the two... that might be a cost effective way to narrow down preferences.

Timeless .95 OC
Timeless Slim OC
Blackland Blackbird SB
Mühle Rocca R94
Yaqi Harlequin
Yaqi Mellon SS
Yaqi Vostok 1.05 DC
Razorock Lupo .95 OC
Game Changer 1.05 SB
Lambda Ares/Athena

I don't want to sound cheeky, but our chance to pick the best fit for you are slim. I haven't even mentioned Yates or Henson yet. I wouldn't pick a Henson, but a lot of people absolutely love it. No idea about you... see, I am afraid you won't be able to pick one and be happy.

It would also be fairly abnormal to read this forum and end up with one razor. Unless it is a Tech.
I appreciate the response and the recommendations. I do understand the reality of not being able to pick the perfect for me, but if there is a razor that is super aggressive or super mild, this is a great place to find that information. With the massive numbers of options available, I just wanted to use this to help narrow it down.

I would try the Rockwell 6S rather than the Progress. Try what level you like, find a razor that comes close to that and when you do, sell the 6S. Or keep it.
Progress is a nice razor if you don't mind it's pot metal.

I have been wet shaving for almost 8 years now. I started with a Parker 99R. It works but can be irritating on my neck. I’ve tried multiple blades but no luck. So my next purchase was a Merkur 42c. It’s super nice but way too mild. It is tolerable with feather blades, but I never am able to get the BBS that I’m wanting. Is there a middle of the road that might work. I don’t mind spending up to $200, but I don’t want to buy 10 razors to find the best one. Any help is appreciated.
Any vintage Gillette ABC. They can knock off a mild stubble or a 5 day growth with ease. Keep a light touch though, they can bite under pressure. You will get a bbs shave. You can find a very nice collector grade set for less than $200, and it will continue to be worth every penny you paid for it when and if you ever sell it. Over 100 years old but shaves like day one off the line.
true ball end handle.jpg

Last edited:
I think that chasing the BBS shave by nature is going to give you some irritation on sensitive areas. BBS means the hair is cut below the skin and that can be pretty irritating. I only chase BBS a few time a year as needed for certain outings. When I do I use a Lupo 72 with a SB. My normal razors for everyday are very aggressive with a ton of blade feel. These razors would not work on my neck as the irritation would leave me rather red. For the money you have, you could buy several different plates. I think that you would be pleased with the Lupo. I have not heard of anyone regretting the purchase. Just my 2 cents.

My purchase of a new razor is on hold now, but threads like this still intrigue me. I'm even considering upping my budget past the arbitrary $50 I set for my cheap self.

I don’t have a Rockwell but the Progress changes the efficiency with the knob on the button not with individual bought plates.
I've researched the Rockwell in the past, but I thought it came with all the baseplates and you didn't have to buy additional ones.

thnx

An adjustable would make sense. The Merkur Progress has been around for a long time, but has some quirks. I've used it for years.

The Pearl Flexi (which I just bought, but haven't received) doesn't seem to have any quirks. It's heavy, fully-machined brass, with a good range of adjustment, and lots of people like it.

The nice thing about an adjustable is that when you think:

. . . "I wonder if I'd like something a little more aggressive . . . "

you can answer the question without spending any money.

. Charles
I just bought a Pearl Flexi and it's become one of my favorite razors. It's not too aggressive in the low settings but capable of a BBS shave when dialed up to 6. I do recommend it.
I could probably name several more razors but I won't. There are some great choices already listed here so I won't add to the dilemma of picking the right one.

My purchase of a new razor is on hold now, but threads like this still intrigue me. I'm even considering upping my budget past the arbitrary $50 I set for my cheap self.

I've researched the Rockwell in the past, but I thought it came with all the baseplates and you didn't have to buy additional ones.

thnx
The Rockwell 6 series come with all of the plates. The 6c is chrome plated pot metal, the 6s is stainless

That's what I thought.

What did he mean by "bought plates" then? Sounded like you had to buy the additional plates.
I was primarily talking about the dial function of the Progress that you can use whilst shaving and more general about razors that you can fine tune with additional plates (Game Changer, Lupo, Green Cult etc.)

Apologies if that was not clear enough and great that the Rockwell comes with all the necessary gear.

I have been wet shaving for almost 8 years now. I started with a Parker 99R. It works but can be irritating on my neck. I’ve tried multiple blades but no luck. So my next purchase was a Merkur 42c. It’s super nice but way too mild. It is tolerable with feather blades, but I never am able to get the BBS that I’m wanting. Is there a middle of the road that might work. I don’t mind spending up to $200, but I don’t want to buy 10 razors to find the best one. Any help is appreciated.

I had similar issues, and my top three razors in my rotation are now Alpha Outlaw Evo, Karve Overlander and CG Hyperion (CG razor for WestCoastShaving).

If you want something aggressive but really comfortable? Aylsworth Apex, amazing razor.

Top Bottom