What's new

Slant razors

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For those who use both slant and non-slant DEs, can you replicate the feel and effect of a slant by holding a non-slant DE at an angle from the direction of the stroke, or is it simply not possible to replicate in this manner?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Slants are very cool but after trying to use them.... not for me. I have a beard and shave the neck and cheek lines and slants make this harder to do.
Yeah, contouring a beard or just a straight cut of the sideburns isn't that easy with a slant indeed. I still say, one day you will want a Superslant, just to figure out if people were talking nonsense. It is that good, really! :)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
For those who use both slant and non-slant DEs, can you replicate the feel and effect of a slant by holding a non-slant DE at an angle from the direction of the stroke, or is it simply not possible to replicate in this manner?
That technique is sometimes called the "Gillette Slide", it is a bit advanced as it leads potentially to a slicing horizontal motion if people are not careful.

To be blunt, it isn't the same. Particularly torsioning/stiffening of the blade is missing. On the other side light slants, often called semi-slants where just the baseplate is a bit slanted usually make about zero difference for me and don't really give me the proper slant experience.

Since the slant-razor fans have congregated here, I have a question for you. In my German 37, I can adjust the blade alignment a bit so the blade edge is parallel to the edge of the cap. Or I can just screw it on, and have the blade stick out more on one end of the edge than the other.

What's the right way to load a blade with this sort of slant? Some (including Merkur, I believe from earlier discussions) have said to align it with the cap and others have said that this uneven alignment is part of the whole point of slants.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I rank my slants in order:
Wunderbar
Superslant
X3
B1
37C
Semislant
Not sure where to place the 37C in relation to the B1, I don't have the Parker Semi-Slant yet, but I have the Yaqi Slope which reportedly is a copy of an ATT attempt to make an easy to manufacture slant with just a somewhat slanted baseplate.

Some people really like it, but damn... the Yaqi Slope, add some . . . . below the Semislant, and that's where I would put it. That was a total miss. My Yaqi Tachi SE was also quite a disappointment.

There is also an odd Wunderbar-looking slant from DSCosmetics, the DS-XT. I have it and... it's like a weird cross of Wunderbar and 37C, and shaves like neither. It's aggressive and effective, but not that nice to shave with.

I recently saw a blue/purple Hone-like looking razor in a photo of your collection in the background, must have been the Yaqi Sputnik. If you have shared some insights about this one I must have missed that posting, I am somewhat interested in it.

(Or rather fighting a "there is a spring sale at AliExpress" urge to already buy that Bohemia and the Romulus OC. Sigh...!!!)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Since the slant-razor fans have congregated here, I have a question for you. In my German 37, I can adjust the blade alignment a bit so the blade edge is parallel to the edge of the cap. Or I can just screw it on, and have the blade stick out more on one end of the edge than the other.

What's the right way to load a blade with this sort of slant? Some (including Merkur, I believe from earlier discussions) have said to align it with the cap and others have said that this uneven alignment is part of the whole point of slants.
It depends on the head. For the Merkur, align along the cap.

For instance, for my Wunderbar and Superslant the blade is perfectly aligned with cap and bar.
For my B1 Slant, the blade is sticking out much more on one side of the cap seen from above but is aligned with the bar.
The wiggle room for the Merkur is not good, but the blade should be aligned along the cap if you can.

There have been numerous threads not only on B&B about that already. Not only the Merkurs have this issue, the Fatip Lo Storto/FOCS also often triggers said question as blade alignment and production quality are frankly not that good.

For instance, for my Wunderbar and Superslant the blade is perfectly aligned with cap and bar.
For my B1 Slant, the blade is sticking out much more on one side of the cap seen from above but is aligned with the bar.
Hmm. My German 37 looks more like the B1 than it does the Superslant, but was modeled on the Merkur, so which way to go with this?

Not sure where to place the 37C in relation to the B1, I don't have the Parker Semi-Slant yet, but I have the Yaqi Slope which reportedly is a copy of an ATT attempt to make an easy to manufacture slant with just a somewhat slanted baseplate.

Some people really like it, but damn... the Yaqi Slope, add some . . . . below the Semislant, and that's where I would put it. That was a total miss. My Yaqi Tachi SE was also quite a disappointment.

There is also an odd Wunderbar-looking slant from DSCosmetics, the DS-XT. I have it and... it's like a weird cross of Wunderbar and 37C, and shaves like neither. It's aggressive and effective, but not that nice to shave with.

I recently saw a blue/purple Hone-like looking razor in a photo of your collection in the background, must have been the Yaqi Sputnik. If you have shared some insights about this one I must have missed that posting, I am somewhat interested in it.

(Or rather fighting a "there is a spring sale at AliExpress" urge to already buy that Bohemia and the Romulus OC. Sigh...!!!)
Yep, it's a Sputnik. Just acquired and haven't tried yet. Been working on my cheap DE razor, gateway drug giveaway study for cartridge users. Hope to finish that this week. I'll test drive and post before I fire up the Chinese blade study.

I just got the DS-XT as I plan a slant study too (so many rabbit holes in this hobby).

Not sure I'm helping but, I have the Romulus (and Remus, OCD thing). Step up from the Excalibur but not quite a Vector efficiency or smoothness. That said, they are a pleasure to use. Great balance (neutral) between head and handle. I'm usually no pressure but they need a touch.

I pull out my Bohemia whenever I start contemplating building a pillow fort and moving in permanently. It's a nice escape shave.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hmm. My German 37 looks more like the B1 than it does the Superslant, but was modeled on the Merkur, so which way to go with this?
20240318_161319.jpg

Thankfully these two don't allow me to wiggle the blade.

The RazoRock German 37C should be like the Merkur 37C, align the blade tabs along the cap. And then I thought it aligns with the cap and not the bar. 🤔

But I am afraid I was wrong, I don't know where my Merkur is right now, my cabinet space is limited and many zamac razors got stuffed elsewhere. These are the two best examples I could find right now.

If it looks like the B1: that's okay. It's it looks like the Wunderbar: fine, too. ✌️

View attachment 1814453
Thankfully these two don't allow me to wiggle the blade.

The RazoRock German 37C should be like the Merkur 37C, align the blade tabs along the cap. And then I thought it aligns with the cap and not the bar. 🤔

But I am afraid I was wrong, I don't know where my Merkur is right now, my cabinet space is limited and many zamac razors got stuffed elsewhere. These are the two best examples I could find right now.

If it looks like the B1: that's okay. It's it looks like the Wunderbar: fine, too. ✌️
That picture is probably why so many "fear" slants.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Not sure I'm helping but, I have the Romulus (and Remus, OCD thing). Step up from the Excalibur but not quite a Vector efficiency or smoothness.
Yeah, I got the Romulus SB a while ago and they now also have an OC head with a slightly changed handle as well.

Quite some users in the SE forum inspired me to try the thicker, higher exposure Feather SUPER (which unfortunately is hard to get here and extra expensive on top) and it pulled the Romulus a lot.

It's still a mild razor but now also much more efficient. Has quite a Lambda Ares/Athena vibe now, mild but efficient and some blade felt, very nice.

Maybe the Vector becomes cheaper when... China finally conquers the USA or EU customs become reasonable.

Both things are unlikely and not going to happen anytime soon. Guess I will just have to finance some EU projects promoting democracy through customs fees.

And people say spreading democracy in Helldivers 2 would be cynical. 😎

I have owned three slants, or at least I can remember owning three - maybe there were others. Neither the Merkur 37 nor the Fatip Lo Storto worked all that well for me, and both have been passed along. The RazoRock SuperSlant L3, however, has changed my opinion about slants. I'm not sure exactly how and why, but it is remarkably smooth while routinely providing a BBS result. Yes, it is a bit large and unwieldy, particularly for trimming sideburns and shaving under my nose, but every time I use it I'm impressed by it.

I think it's a mistake to generalize about slants. There's as much variation in performance among slants as among other DEs. For me, the ATT S1 in SS and the Fatip OCS are outstanding. Others I've tried, including the ATT S2, the iKon 102, and the Holy Black, are not for me, and I've sold them on.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think it's a mistake to generalize about slants. There's as much variation in performance among slants as among other DEs. For me, the ATT S1 in SS and the Fatip OCS are outstanding. Others I've tried, including the ATT S2, the iKon 102, and the Holy Black, are not for me, and I've sold them on.
I still have my ATT S2 base plate, but I haven't been successful with it yet.... One reason? Something changed along the way. I've seen lots of photos here and the edges of the teeth on their S2's are rounded... Mine came sharp... both in between and the ends of the teeth themselves. I rounded the ends of the teeth, but I think I'll soften the right angle edge between the teeth and see if that makes a difference as well. Mariah sent me a second base plate and it was the same as the first one... I've only modified the original one but I still haven't gotten a decent shave with it. A little more work and I'll try it again before I bail on it.

Like you, the S1 is a wonderful razor for me.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Wanna see some blade?

Heh. The first version is even wider, I think. I've joked that the edge reveal on my Fasan could be used as a shaving mirror.

There is zero wiggle room with this design. You see a lot of blade edge sticking out, but the torque holds it stiff.

Yeah! Noisiest stiff blade I've ever used. Once I get it lined up, that is. My Fasan is so well used that I always have one of those "is that 1st, 3rd or 5th gear?" moments trying to get everything in line.

O.H.

Marie Antoinette would understand the theory as well as anyone, but she isn't talking.
I'm tickled that the lowly, weird, quirky, and much maligned FOCS suits me perfectly, and I don't know or care why.
A bit Quaznoidian I suppose.
I shave my head once a week (sometimes longer) and neck twice a week (can't stand the itch).
So I need some serious mowing, along with a tender touch, on my old, bleeds easily, skin.
Both hands (I suck as a Lefty) can't see, no patience and in a hurry; to top off the Perfect Storm.
I'm always amazed that the FOCS pulls it off consistently, effortlessly, smooth and no irritation.
As always, YMMV, and knock yourself out.

Loved the Wunderbar too much to bother with the L3 Superslant. I do have the iKon B1 Slant which isn't bad but not too fantastic, and also the Holy Black, which I surprisingly liked. Pity the Holy Black coating rubs off, which is one of the primary reasons why I stopped using it.

Top Bottom