What's new

Forget the AristoCRATS, ALL roads lead to the Fatboy!

I have now been "wetshaving" since 2006.
Over 17 years.
This was back when you could walk into almost any antique store and find oodles of mint vintage razors all over the store and buy extras that you didn't even need because they were so cheap since no one knew their worth.
I must have over 15 Fatboys and Slims left even after giving so many away.
And the Fatboy has CONSISTENTLY given me the best and most comfortable shaves of almost everything I try.
And I have tried SO MANY razors and have so many all over the house that my wife jokes about building forts with them.

Every year or two I hop on the forums or see something new in a Youtube video that sets the RAD off again.
It's the ever elusive thought that something can be better than my Fatboy.
Why do I do this???!!!

Years ago it was the adjustables other than the Slim or Fatboy. Merkur, Parker, Rockwell, Homelike, etc.
Ended up preferring the Fatboy to all of them.

Years before that - it was ALL the Super Speeds I could find.
Realized that the Fatboy was 9 Super Speeds in one.

Last year it was the Pivot Party - I tried all the razors I could find that would make head shaves easier. Leaf, ALL the One Blades, High Proof, because of how much I liked how the original Broman performed headshaving.
That is also when I tried all of the weird ones, like the PAA Alpha Ecliptic Slant and the Maxwell June razor.
None of them worked well for me for face shaves though.
The Leaf won for headshaves - AND back to the Fatboy.

Then a few years ago it was the Schick Injectors.
I have them everywhere. A lot of them unopened, still in their original packages.
I really thought they were the ones to rule them all.
Had the newer Supply and Parker versions.
Then, for whatever reason, I just stopped liking them.
Can't even tell you why.
Back to Fatboy.

THEN there was this past summer.
The summer of Aristocrats.
Watched this video on Youtube and JUST HAD TO try them all to the detriment of our bank account.
That also led into the previously unknown world to me of other vintage British razors like the flat bottom Tech and HD500 Rocket.
And I know this goes against everything I have heard or read about the Aristocrats being the BEST vintage razors ever.
The ONLY Aristocrat that would consistently give me a great shave was the #66, which was a super mild-like setting that resembles a number three on a Fatboy.
Did I really need pay over 200 hundred dollars for that?
OK, well, they ARE beautiful and rhodium plated and come in cool cases.
I'll keep them LOL.
Ended up liking the not-exactly-an-Aristocrat HD500 the most out of the lot.
Which is like a 5 or so on the Fatboy.
So here I am AGAIN - all roads lead back to the FATBOY.

If anyone on here notices that I am looking into some NEW thing in a RAD attempt to replace my obvious One to Rule them all - can you PLEASE PLEASE redirect me back to this post???!!!

I obviously need help LOL.
AND I obviously need to start selling A BUNCH of razors.
Back Roads Gold made a couple of my Fatboys look and work brand new and I think I should stop cheating on them.

Over 17 years.
This was back when you could walk into almost any antique store and find oodles of mint vintage razors all over the store and buy extras that you didn't even need because they were so cheap since no one knew their worth.
And the Fatboy has CONSISTENTLY given me the best and most comfortable shaves of almost everything I try.
And I have tried SO MANY razors and have so many all over the house that my wife jokes about building forts with them.

Every year or two I hop on the forums or see something new in a Youtube video that sets the RAD off again.
Why do I do this???!!!

Years ago it was the adjustables other than the Slim or Fatboy. Merkur, Parker, Rockwell, Homelike, etc.

Last year it was the Pivot Party - I tried all the razors I could find that would make head shaves easier. Leaf, ALL the One Blades, High Proof, because of how much I liked how the original Broman performed headshaving.
That is also when I tried all of the weird ones, like the PAA Alpha Ecliptic Slant and the Maxwell June razor.

I have them everywhere. A lot of them unopened, still in their original packages.
Can't even tell you why.
Back to Fatboy.

Watched this video on Youtube and JUST HAD TO try them all to the detriment of our bank account.
That also led into the previously unknown world to me of other vintage British razors like the flat bottom Tech and HD500 Rocket.
And I know this goes against everything I have heard or read about the Aristocrats being the BEST vintage razors ever.
The ONLY Aristocrat that would consistently give me a great shave was the #66, which was a super mild-like setting that resembles a number three on a Fatboy.
I'll keep them LOL.

If anyone on here notices that I am looking into some NEW thing in a RAD attempt to replace my obvious One to Rule them all - can you PLEASE PLEASE redirect me back to this post???!!!

Back Roads Gold made a couple of my Fatboys look and work brand new and I think I should stop cheating on them.

The HD 500 is a damn good razor that gives most aristocrats I have tried a run for their money.

Fatboy is my favourite vintage adjustable Gillette.

dont have a whole lot of experience with different razors but i am really glad i went for a fatboy early on in my wet shaving career. it is far and away my favorite razor ive tried at this point and since trying it ive hypothesized that nothing will beat it. i do really like my open comb fatip when switching things up though. would like to try a vintage gillette OC.

Love my Fatboys, but LOVE my Slims. They have that 60s elegance, a slightly lower profile head, and give, for me, a smoother shave. I'm also falling in love with my 77 Super Adjustable - a real black beauty. Classy razor and gives a good shave.
I enjoy my Fatboys occasionally, but they are such good shavers and easy to use, they make shaving too easy for me. The two I have are slightly different in minor parts of the design, but both look like they were never used. They hold up over time very well. The shaves are on par, as far as results are concerned, with my new Rex Ambassador, which speaks volumes in favor of the Fatboy. I believe the range of aggression is greater in the Rex but the Fatboys I have never go above setting 6 anyway.

I have to say I like a FatBoy better than any other razor I've tried at the moment. When set correctly for a specific blade (2 for Gillette Wilkinson Swords and 7 or 8 for Polsivers for exacmple) I get very nice shaves with little effort. Nice fat handle for my big fingers that's short enough not to interfere with my hand movements, easy to hold angle with.

Non-adjustables require matching a blade to the razor, with the FatBoy (or Slim, I have plenty of those too) you can set the razor to match the blade. One razor many different blades instead of having to select a pair that matches and use only that. Not that I couldn't live with just Personna Comfort Coated blades and a Tech!

Over 17 years.

Why do I do this???!!!

Can't even tell you why.
Back to Fatboy.

I'll keep them LOL.

Now you need to get an Executive, shaves as well as the Fat, but it's nicer......:em2700:

Obviously, YMMV.

I think it may be difficult to compare vintage razors, as, unless you find an excellent specimen and even then, it can be difficult to say where handling and knocks may have changed a particular piece

Don't get me wrong, I do like my FB, but using the same blade, a 9 on the FB is pretty comparable to my two '36 OC Aristocrats, with a slight edge going to the Brit. Most of the later years are a bit "less" than the FB in blade feel, but not better in efficiency with a good blade pairing ( the nature of fixed razors overall). Buuut...the FB is adjustable.

Enjoy the FB, it is a fantastic razor!😎

I've had to adjust the safety bar on almost every adjustable I've gotten. Old Type top caps are usually dented on at least one corner and have to be fixed too, it's just the nature of vintage razors.

Not that I've ever dropped a razor, lol (haha...)

I've had to adjust the safety bar on almost every adjustable I've gotten. Old Type top caps are usually dented on at least one corner and have to be fixed too, it's just the nature of vintage razors.

Not that I've ever dropped a razor, lol (haha...)
I have owned two Fatboys over the years. They were both absolutely perfect the way I found them in the wild (both were antique store finds).

I traded the first one away for a Mont Blanc 146 fountain pen, which was obviously a great deal for me, but after a while I realized I had to find another. I went to a hoarder-house type of antique store and didn't see any razors except for a Gem Jr. I was about to leave when I decided to ask the proprietor. He said 'hmm.... I thought I saw one last week... ' and then literally started digging through a pile of junk that was easily four feet tall. When I was about to say 'forget about it' he emerged from the pile with an absolutely perfect cased Fatboy in his hand. 'See? I told you so!' he said, and asked me to invent a price, which I did.

I used the razor all last week. Still a fantastic shaver.

I have owned two Fatboys over the years. They were both absolutely perfect the way I found them in the wild (both were antique store finds).

I traded the first one away for a Mont Blanc 146 fountain pen, which was obviously a great deal for me, but after a while I realized I had to find another. I went to a hoarder-house type of antique store and didn't see any razors except for a Gem Jr. I was about to leave when I decided to ask the proprietor. He said 'hmm.... I thought I saw one last week... ' and then literally started digging through a pile of junk that was easily four feet tall. When I was about to say 'forget about it' he emerged from the pile with an absolutely perfect cased Fatboy in his hand. 'See? I told you so!' he said, and asked me to invent a price, which I did.

I used the razor all last week. Still a fantastic shaver.
One dollar! Lol. I do love my Executive Fatboy, and reach for it as my go to for a quick shave every time. I have a couple mint nickel examples and another NOS Executive in my collection. Recently I saw someone comment the executive was a bit smoother and a few glommed into the notion, but I don't see a discernable difference.

I do have to say though, there are better adjustables. I'll go a week or 3 without shaving sometimes to see what my beard looks like (sadly it was grey last time), but mainly to mow it down in one pass with my Le Supreme... something a Fatboy could never do. I guess I agree with L'Essor... it's the Supreme adjustable in any den.
17021914744032504150949036196197.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom