What's new

Gillette TTO - Unsure if Aristocrat Jr. or Parat? Year? Worth getting replated?

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and need help identifying one of my razors.

I purchased this one around August last year from an antique dealer and am wondering as to whether if it is an Aristocrat Jr. or perhaps a Parat?

I understand that this particular model does not have any date codes, but would like to know roughly how old it could be?

Ive attached the following photographs.

Also, I may consider getting it replated as some of it has worn off the handle.

Would I be able to get it done without disassembling it?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20240412_154337.jpg
    IMG_20240412_154337.jpg
    819.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240412_154310.jpg
    IMG_20240412_154310.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240412_154253.jpg
    IMG_20240412_154253.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240412_154241.jpg
    IMG_20240412_154241.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240412_154229.jpg
    IMG_20240412_154229.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240412_154317.jpg
    IMG_20240412_154317.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 34

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am almost always wrong but my guess is an Aristocrat Junior from the early 1950s; it is English so will have no date code at that time. A very nice razor and I would not replate it as right now it has character and interest, just give it a gentle clean up is my advice. Welcome to B&B 👍

Yep, these are commonly referred to as 'Aristocrat Juniors' (3rd gen) although they can come in different sets. Patent pending is early 50s (50-54 off the top of my head)

A 'Parat' differs in that the TTO knob is identical in width to the handle, AJs are slightly wider.

Thanks for your input fellas.. I've just got one last question to ask.. based on the photos provided above.. could this razor be rhodium plated or is it just the standard nickel..? If so how can you tell? Appreciate the responses!

EclipseRedRing

Thanks for your input fellas.. I've just got one last question to ask.. based on the photos provided above.. could this razor be rhodium plated or is it just the standard nickel..? If so how can you tell? Appreciate the responses!
I am no expert but as I understand it rhodium plating is currently rather expensive. In my view your razor looks excellent as it is but it is not a rarity and for me is not worth replating, especially as it has no sentimental value to you. Replating will not add value to this razor and some find replating undesirable. I think you would be better spending your money seeking out a pristine razor in original condition if that is what you desire. Good luck with whatever you decide 👍

I am no expert but as I understand it rhodium plating is currently rather expensive. In my view your razor looks excellent as it is but it is not a rarity and for me is not worth replating, especially as it has no sentimental value to you. Replating will not add value to this razor and some find replating undesirable. I think you would be better spending your money seeking out a pristine razor in original condition if that is what you desire. Good luck with whatever you decide 👍
Good advice. Thanks mate.

I'd not replate it if you are going to use it and everything works -- blade is evenly clamped, exposure/gap the same on both sides, etc.

I believe Chris will straighten the doors and may be able to fix the cover on the end as well if you do replate. Factory finish is cheapest because he doesn't polish the doors, etc to mirror condition before plating, just fixes some pitting and gets the baseplate flat, etc.

I'm having some adjustables replated for daily use, they have enough plating loss I'm concerned about pitting from my horribly hard water and consequent soap scum accumulating. Don't need mirror polish, just good plating.

I'd not replate it if you are going to use it and everything works -- blade is evenly clamped, exposure/gap the same on both sides, etc.

I believe Chris will straighten the doors and may be able to fix the cover on the end as well if you do replate. Factory finish is cheapest because he doesn't polish the doors, etc to mirror condition before plating, just fixes some pitting and gets the baseplate flat, etc.

I'm having some adjustables replated for daily use, they have enough plating loss I'm concerned about pitting from my horribly hard water and consequent soap scum accumulating. Don't need mirror polish, just good plating.
If I were to go down that route, I would opt for factory finish.. I am not looking for 100% perfection. Would love to even track down an original case for it.. when I purchased the razor it came in a blue case.. don't believe it's original..

EclipseRedRing

If I were to go down that route, I would opt for factory finish.. I am not looking for 100% perfection. Would love to even track down an original case for it.. when I purchased the razor it came in a blue case.. don't believe it's original..
If it is a Rocket HD then the correct case could very well be blue.

1713087188417.png

That's the one.. I had a gut feeling that it was not original.. as a matter of fact.. my local antique dealer has that tech razor you listed here for $10 AUD.. do you think it's a good deal?

It's hard to go wrong with a Tech. The best are the all-brass ones up until the early 1960s.

Some people prefer the earlier "pre-war" models with triangular slots, but the 1950s ones are good shavers if you like something on the milder side.

There is also the "fat handle" option. Some people prefer that vs. the ball-end handle.

Top Bottom