What's new

Forget the AristoCRATS, ALL roads lead to the Fatboy!

I've reconditioned several Fatboys and currently have five. Like you, my eye occasionally roams. Recently a rough looking open comb came my way, and I thought it was trash. No markings, hexagonal aluminum handle, one tooth badly bent. Just for a challenge I cleaned it up, fixed the tooth, put in a Feather blade, and tried it. Surprise, it shaves great! It's aggressive, and since I shave on 8 or 9 on the Fatboy with a Feather blade, I thought an aggressive open comb might be "the one". After some keyboard time I ordered a Muhle R41, so in a few days I'll know. I also shave with straights, including a Feather shavette, which might explain why I like aggressive safetys so much. But I won't be surprised if I go back to the Fatboy again like I always do. BTW, even after far too much time on the Internet, I can't identify the mystery razor that started this.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The Fat Boy is my favorite. I believe it was the razor I first shaved with lo those many grisly eons ago .. at least I recall a Gillette with a number dial, that particular year Slim's were coming out but I doubt Gramp had a brand spanking new razor ..

I've had a number of them, one is always ready on the counter, another sort of brassy example lives in the dopp kit for travel. I've tried a bunch of adjustables, from the Gibbs clones to the Muramasa, all the Gillette's, and the 195 still rools my roost ..

Well, it's been a bit since I wrote this and had moved on to the Hensons that I forgot I even owned lol.
They had me ready to sell everything and only use them.
Then all of a sudden they just started giving razor bumps and irritation.
Don't have a clue what happened.
So I pulled out my flat bottom British Tech because it has never given irritation.
And it didn't, no matter how many times I used it.
But then I wished that it could cut just one notch closer and thought "the Fatboy could do that."
And then it once again makes me wonder why I ever even attempt to use anything else.
The roads keep leading me back to the Fatboy.
Maybe one day I'll find something that makes me forget about it.
But why do I keep searching for that when I have the one? Lol

Alas, I have yet to sample the majesty of the legendary Gillette 195 Adjustable. Perhaps someday. But at current prices, I simply can't justify emptying that many quarters out of my piggy bank. Nonetheless, I still check eBay and Etsy now and then and smile when I see one for sale and do some quick calculations ...

Excellent thread, thank you for starting it. Fatboy is an outstanding razor. I have three mint Fatboys in my display case and one in my regular rotation. I enjoy using it more than the Slim Adjustable probably because of the more substantial handle and better balance. British Aristocrats and Rockets are also very nice razors, manufactured a little bit better than their American counterparts (but also more expensive). They all provide similar shaves, with older British Aristocrats being a bit more aggressive than #66.

After enjoying vintage Gillette razors for more than 30 years, I recently started paying attention to new, artisan produced DE razors that typically feature a three-part design and are a lot fiddlier than twist-to-open single piece vintage Gillette razors. Still trying to figure out what the fuss is all about but at first glance, it appears that some of these new razors cost as much or more as the highly sought after vintage Gillette collectible razors. To start my exploration, I ordered Razorock Game Changer 0.68-P and BBS. Game Changer is a very nice razor, but certainly doesn't shave any better than Fatboy.

I agree. I'm a Fatboy fan. I also have accumulated many razors both modern and many vintage. Many are close but I still believe the Fatboy is my favorite all around razor. Looks and performance are superb. I think the only thing better than a Fatboy on 7 is an Executive Fatboy on 7! I have a G2 and a D4 and prefer the exposed collar look on the older one. I consider my D3 Executive the top dog in my arsenal.

I was gifted some antique Gillettes a few weeks ago. Super Speed Flare Tip (2) and an Adjustable Slim. Fell in love with the SSFT's enough to order a couple more for re-plating.

:001_rolle:biggrin1:
I think there are about 2 head design variations for the regular FT. And then there are the different color TTO knobs as well. There is a black handle version as well. Throw in the British bunch of Rocket FT's and you could have quite a colllection!

I have now been "wetshaving" since 2006.

Every year or two I hop on the forums or see something new in a Youtube video that sets the RAD off

So here I am AGAIN - all roads lead back to the FATBOY.

Interesting. You and I have a similar timeline, and I have "bitten" on a number of RAD lures. However, the Fatboy/Slim and I have never really connected.

I guess it's time to bring them out again for a re-audition.

I wonder why the nickname for the Aristocrat ended up being Crat instead of Aristo? I grew up reading about the French revolution and had always heard aristo as opposed to crat. Is this to differentiate the type of blades involved?

Well.
Another update.
For whatever reason I pulled my titanium Henson out and started using it.
Probably because it cost so much and I didn't want to feel like I was wasting it.
Then that led me to comparing it with the Leaf Twig and Thorn.
Then I constantly went back and forth between all of my Hensons and Leafs and then the Parker Soloedge came out.
So then I used it for a couple of weeks until it started giving me irritation.
Then the Leafs and Hensons started giving me irritation.
Was it the weather? The cream went bad? A bad handful of blades? I just forgot how to use basic shaving techniques?

Fixed everything really fast by pulling out the Fatboy. Not sure what magic lies with this razor, but I have no idea why I ever even consider using anything else.

All roads keep leading to the way of the Fatboy.

Top Bottom