What's new

Understanding Blade Gap/Exposure combos and efficiency to blade feel ratio

The Tatara razors have always confused me. I'm sure if I took some time and really concentrated, I'd get it... This cap with this base plate=this efficiency... And then they offer the adjustable. The names for the caps and base plates instead of numbers... too much for this old mind of mine. <eg> ...
To understand the Tatara (to the extent that any of us are razor designers :letterk1:), I downloaded their chart and compared the four permutations against a razor I know and am familiar with. For me, I referenced my trusty Overlander.

Best I can tell, the Overlander falls between the "full" Masamune and the Nodachi cap / Masamune base plate (I refuse to conjugate the latter into unintelligible terms). Perhaps it leans a bit toward the latter in both feel and efficiency.

I suspect you knew that ;-) Trust but verify ... of course :straight:

Therein lies the challenge (the verify part). It's not quite like budgeting for the next particle collider, but experimentation certainly does co$t.

... Thom

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
To understand the Tatara (to the extent that any of us are razor designers :letterk1:), I downloaded their chart and compared the four permutations against a razor I know and am familiar with. For me, I referenced my trusty Overlander.

Best I can tell, the Overlander falls between the "full" Masamune and the Nodachi cap / Masamune base plate (I refuse to conjugate the latter into unintelligible terms). Perhaps it leans a bit toward the latter in both feel and efficiency.

I suspect you knew that ;-) Trust but verify ... of course :straight:

Therein lies the challenge (the verify part). It's not quite like budgeting for the next particle collider, but experimentation certainly does co$t.

... Thom
After almost 2 years now, I'm almost to a place of contentment with my razors. I just ordered yet another RR SuperSlant base plate: the L1++OC. I'm been fretting over that purchase for months and decided, it's time to take the $75 chance.

The only other razor I'm interested in at this point is the Wolfman WR4 AC. I already have a Darwin handle waiting for it, so the cost won't be too high. I'm going to try to time the getting-on-the-list and the time before it ships and arrives at our place to after we get back from Indonesia on March 15th. To be safe, I think I'll order it on January 2nd.

I have learned to never make predictions, but I think the Wolfman WR4 will get me to a settled razor collection. That will take me to 3 AC Razors I love and I have 9 DE razors that have proven themselves over time as well. That's a dozen... and I do use the Claymore Evolution around my nose for every shave as it works so well.

Back to the thread topic, I don't really understand razor design... not one little bit. I do know, I gravitate to the mild-medium efficiency razors... half a step or so more efficient than my beloved Claymore Evolution. Each one of those 12 razors fits into that category... and their designs vary. The Blutt BR-1 I love has a gap of 1.2... but I also love the Timeless Ti 0.68OC and they both give me a 12 hour shave. The Athena gives me a 12 hour shave and it's gap is very small, comparatively...

To me, the key has been... find several people who have a few razors in common with you and start discussing razor options. They'll be able to guide your purchases and you'll end up with razors that are perfect for your face and whiskers. That is the wonder of B&B. There are so many seasoned wet shavers here. Everyone I've met here will take the time to have discussions in various threads and in PMs, to help you along your journey.

Ended up grabbing a Lupo .72 just for the hell of it.

Was going to buy GC .76/1.05 plates once they're back in stock, but I felt like buying and trying an entirely different razor. I'll eventually grab alt plates for both the LUPO and GC.

Who knows maybe they will make a .65 Lupo plate down the road..

Should be here in the next week assuming IB ships tomorrow. I ordered Monday (They're 2 days behind according to an email).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ended up grabbing a Lupo .72 just for the hell of it.

Was going to buy GC .76/1.05 plates once they're back in stock, but I felt like buying and trying an entirely different razor. I'll eventually grab alt plates for both the LUPO and GC.

Who knows maybe they will make a .65 Lupo plate down the road..

Should be here in the next week assuming IB ships tomorrow. I ordered Monday (They're 2 days behind according to an email).
I ordered my SuperSlant L1++OC Monday... A UPS label was generated today. I expect UPS will have the package in its possession later today or so. I don't expect the delivery to be quick this time of year. I worked in a Dot Com distribution center for a few years... a small one. We averaged 3,000 orders a day through most of the year but on Black Friday, we would get 65,000 orders... followed up by another 45,000 or so on Cyber Monday. We used FedEx and UPS both.....

I ordered my SuperSlant L1++OC Monday... A UPS label was generated today. I expect UPS will have the package in its possession later today or so. I don't expect the delivery to be quick this time of year. I worked in a Dot Com distribution center for a few years... a small one. We averaged 3,000 orders a day through most of the year but on Black Friday, we would get 65,000 orders... followed up by another 45,000 or so on Cyber Monday. We used FedEx and UPS both.....
Same. Got my UPS tracking/label today.

Will def take over a week from this point, but not too worried.

For me, I prefer Taiga to Muramasa
I who prefer efficiency would be enough for me with masamune nodachi,but I'm happy to keep both Taiga and Muramasa on the team :thumbup:
Anyone know that range of blade gap for the Taiga? Interested in knowing blade gap and exposure on the lowest setting.

Got my Lupo 72 today and holy cow.. This is an experience.

Paired it with a Indian GWS blade and Cremo. I know this combo well with my previous GC .84...

It's definitely a little more efficient, but doesn't feel that way.. it's weird.. in a good way.

Did WTG and XTG and I pretty much have an in between BBS/DFS shave with minor touch up. If I have to go ATG, it definitely feels much BETTER than the GC .84... prob due to lower blade gap?

Closer shave with same general effort? Yes for sure. I'm kinda at a loss for words.. I should have bought the Lupo .72 a year ago🤣.

Now I'm curious about other plates such as .58, .95 and even GC .76/1.05.

Worth the $70? Yes for sure. Quality from IB is still top notch.. I actually prefer the Super knurl handle to Barber pole I think. Ill have to swap them around in the next few shaves.

YMMV? Sure.. but I think this is prob the best all rounder I've used.

Got my Lupo 72 today and holy cow.. This is an experience.

Paired it with a Indian GWS blade and Cremo. I know this combo well with my previous GC .84...

It's definitely a little more efficient, but doesn't feel that way.. it's weird.. in a good way.

Did WTG and XTG and I pretty much have an in between BBS/DFS shave with minor touch up. If I have to go ATG, it definitely feels much BETTER than the GC .84... prob due to lower blade gap?

Closer shave with same general effort? Yes for sure. I'm kinda at a loss for words.. I should have bought the Lupo .72 a year ago🤣.

Now I'm curious about other plates such as .58, .95 and even GC .76/1.05.

Worth the $70? Yes for sure. Quality from IB is still top notch.. I actually prefer the Super knurl handle to Barber pole I think. Ill have to swap them around in the next few shaves.

YMMV? Sure.. but I think this is prob the best all rounder I've used.
Interesting, perhaps I should try the Lupo 72 someday, I already have the top cap but only have the 95 baseplate which I find a bit too much for everyday shaving. The 72 being supposedly a bit more gentle might be a nice performer for daily shaving.

Interesting, perhaps I should try the Lupo 72 someday, I already have the top cap but only have the 95 baseplate which I find a bit too much for everyday shaving. The 72 being supposedly a bit more gentle might be a nice performer for daily shaving.
Only downside is that there is more obvious blade feel, but it's quite efficient.

The GC .84 is still a generally smoother experience. Especially with blade wear..

Edit: I actually kind of want to try the .95 now. GC 1.05 is said to be more efficient/but not as "aggressive" as Lupo line... I'd imagine its similar to the .72 LUPO for blade feel.

Last edited:
I think we all nerd out on razors

So I think it's really **** that some manufacturers refuse to give out dimensions and gap, exposure and information of their razors, and their reason for it is 100% absolute nonsense. Oh people may not buy it because we give them more information BS.

That said, I base my buying on people's reviews, ask people on discord, read reddit, this forum, watch some videos before buying.

In my humble experience, I think the three theories you presented tend to hold true. Forgive me if this has already been mentioned here, but what I would recommend next is not necessarily a different razor, but keeping all variables the same and trying different blades. Interestingly enough, I’ve had specifications of “inefficient” razors of lower blade gap, negative reveal, etc. perform incredibly well/efficiently with sharp blades. In fact, I believe the milder razor/sharp blade combo outperformed some of my more notoriously efficient razors with less sharp blades.

Tatara razors are beautifully crafted to exacting tolerances. I was very impressed with both the Muramasa and the Masamune. However, the Masamune was not efficient enough for me requiring more passes which eventually produces irritation defeating the purpose. Granted, I never tried the nodachi or masamune/nodachi permutations. The Muramasa on the other hand was very smooth, but yet again not efficient enough. What concerned me about the Muramasa was above approximately 4-4.5, I felt like it behaved unpredictably comparatively to the lower settings. There was quite a bit of blade feel and reveal, and I could not produce a consistently smooth and efficient shave out of it.

Ended up buying a GC 1.05 plate. Seems a little smoother than the .95 LUPO, but obviously not as smooth as .84 GC.

Seems I prefer higher "gap/exposure" combos in general... .84 GC is the bare min IMO.

The .72 LUPO plate that I just bought might not get used now lol.. It's certainly more efficient than GC.84, but the blade feel compromise is there..

.95 LUPO is just a more efficient .72 (Slightly more blade feel) and I seem to prefer it.

I would say < .84 GC, 1.05 GC, .72LUPO, .95LUPO> for lower to higher "blade feel", but I'll have to run the .72 again with same blade to make sure.

Last edited:
Update.. I'd say the .72 Lupo and GC 1.05 are closer than I originally thought in terms of "blade feel".

Going to have to pop a fresh blade in both of them one day and use both side by side to really tell.

GC.84 is SOOO noticeably smooth relative to the other 3.. I'm sure GC .76 is probably a good compromise for some people minus efficiency. Don't have one.

Like I mentioned prior, GC.84 cuts the worse out of my 4 plates, and I also find that I'm more careless to an extent.. I shave quickest with this plate lol..

Wonder if Razorock/IB will follow Wolfman and start making more increments down the line.. Lupo .6x, GC .9x etc..

A Lupo .65 would end up somewhere in between GC .76 and GC.84 on the efficiency scale.. while being a little smoother than the .72 variant.... The question is where do they intersect? :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom