What's new

Understanding Blade Gap/Exposure combos and efficiency to blade feel ratio

I sort of like simplicity, think all this gap talk is intresting.

But bottom line in my world is results, and blade are different depending on brand.

I am of mind stet if you are getting personal desired shave with with $10.00 beat up Tech, or cheap razor, elchepo blade.

Your lucky you found what works well for you.

🥳

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Please weigh in and let me know your experience with all the different combos of blade gap / exposure and what you found to be very efficient while retaining low blade feel and low risk of irritation. Also let me know about all the razor brands and models I don't know about, there seems to be so much out there, I feel like I'm Alice in wonderland and I just fell down the rabbit hole.

There are few things that folks get carried away with gap, gap can help when a razor has other certain characteristics that will also change blade feel for the person shaving. Small gap means to some folks mild razor and large gap means aggressive but that is a bad rut to think in always I found over the years of using different razors.
Blade feel can be simply changed with less base plate width or a thicker top cap will change the shave, it depends on the manufacture wanted for that particular razor.
To help explain better most adjustable razors increase aggression by increasing the height or gap to increase exposure or blade feel and there is Tatara Muramasa adjustable that changes aggression by expanding or narrowing the width of the base plate(patented design and one of a kind) but keeps the gap a constant.
To explain it better I will show a photo that shows how a razor can be tweaked physically by illustrating with this perfect razor head photo one of our fellow B&B fellows made for us.
(Old archived photos I have will help show the differences what we are talking about.)
Safety_Razor_Parameters_around_Blade_Cutting_Edge (4).jpg

Here is how the Gillette Fatboy and Slim work with different settings! (click photos to enlarge )
Fatboy chart for exposure (2).jpg
Still003 Gillette slim set at 9 on dial=.007 to .008 inches.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Great information, @Ron R is a font of knowledge and generous in sharing!

Tatara Muramasa adjustable that changes aggression by expanding or narrowing the width of the base plate(patented design and one of a kind) but keeps the gap a constant.

One tiny addition, the Muramasa adjustable does change gap and exposure. It does that by having an angle on the base plate that goes in/out. You can see a video of this on the Tatara site.

I appreciate the detailed approach. Honestly some of these newer brands seem to be using wacky geometry and why some folks might like them, I'm really not sure if they are for me at all.

I appreciate the detailed approach. Honestly some of these newer brands seem to be using wacky geometry and why some folks might like them, I'm really not sure if they are for me at all.
This is very much parallel to modern ski design. In a ski forum I hang out on, the geeks try to figure all of this out in the same way we do over here.

The diligent ones can get quite close, or at least close enough to narrow choices down.

It used to be that all you had to consider was camber, flex, sidecut, and length. Design has gotten much more complicated in the past years.

As with razors the best I can hope for is to have a general idea of application & use-case.

.. Thom

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Change both Gap and blade exposure. I believe only Muramasa can do this View attachment 1752506
Looks like I learned something new to day, the gap change is very small like 11/1000 of a inch(about the thickness of a AC blade) so that tells me the disks that change the settings inside the base plate have matching tapers so when you go to the higher #'s on settings it makes the gab slightly bigger with a wedge effect(brilliant design). When watching the video many months back it was not noticeable. I like the interesting idea but it is a pricy razor.

Great link!

First, I do not think that one can reduce all the variables here to a single ’formula.’ Simply too many factors IMO.

For me, the ’answer’ was to combine a ‘mild/moderate’ razor with a sharp blade. That is once my technique was really solid. But that’s my answer, rather than a ‘holy grail’ razor.:popc::popc:

So far I enjoy a medium gap GC.84 with mid semi sharp blade. Putting a NACET into my GC.84 and I have to be a lot more careful. This is my disconnect currently.

Super sharp blade in a R89 doesn't cut it for me (pun intented), but it does "help" relative to the same blade I use in both razors.

Looks like I learned something new to day, the gap change is very small like 11/1000 of a inch so that tells me the disks that change the settings inside the base plate have a matching tapers so when you go to the higher #'s on settings it makes the gab slightly bigger with a wedge effect(brilliant design). When watching the video many months back it was not noticeable. I like the interesting idea but it is a pricy razor.
Now is best time to buy Muramasa. BF 25% off..
BTW I received Muramasa in Ti last week and I just can't find words how great it is. Very efficient but so smooth, I would say mild. Use only settings 3-5 no need more nor less.. I'm considering to sell HLS Taiga Ti because Muramasa Ti is better for me, but Taiga is also very good razor.
Totally different how it works (Taiga big gap changes and almost no change in blade exposure/ Muramasa very little gap changes but significant blade exposure changes)
Taiga is just smooth neutral exposure razor with possibility to huge open blade gap, but Muramasa is like opposite worlds from Masamune to Nodachi and more on both sides

Looks like I learned something new to day, the gap change is very small like 11/1000 of a inch(about the thickness of a AC blade) so that tells me the disks that change the settings inside the base plate have matching tapers so when you go to the higher #'s on settings it makes the gab slightly bigger with a wedge effect(brilliant design). When watching the video many months back it was not noticeable. I like the interesting idea but it is a pricy razor.

You're right, it is a very interesting design. The Muramasa gap and exposure range is essentially the same as all the top cap/base plate combinations of their other two razors. That's why I bought the Muramasa, so I wouldn't have to buy every part they offer. ;)

You're right, it is a very interesting design. The Muramasa gap and exposure range is essentially the same as all the top cap/base plate combinations of their other two razors. That's why I bought the Muramasa, so I wouldn't have to buy every part they offer. ;)
I'd love to study the design, which appears to be brilliant and innovative in its approach. I've never searched for details on how they achieve this. One concern I have with any adjustable razor is the possibility of parts wear over time.

Perhaps my concern is unfounded.

... Thom

Yes it does. but for me I don't need more for daily shave as Muramasa on 5, just 4 is ok. Also Taiga highest setting I used was 4,5 and there is possibility about 3mm gap open what I only heard never tried ..
For me, I prefer Taiga to Muramasa
I who prefer efficiency would be enough for me with masamune nodachi,but I'm happy to keep both Taiga and Muramasa on the team :thumbup:

Great link!

First, I do not think that one can reduce all the variables here to a single ’formula.’ Simply too many factors IMO.

For me, the ’answer’ was to combine a ‘mild/moderate’ razor with a sharp blade. That is once my technique was really solid. But that’s my answer, rather than a ‘holy grail’ razor.:popc::popc:
Curious, which mild/moderate razors are you using?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If that can help you, I have most of the GC plates. Based on your post, I doubt you would like the 1.05P. It is more efficient than the .84P but you lose quite a bit a smoothness, too much smoothness is lost to gain too little efficiency in my opinion. The .76P is great, it's a bit smoother than the .84P and retains most of its efficiency.

Also based on what you are saying I think you could get much smoother and comfortable shaves with a good brush and a great face lather. I feel like mastering the art of whipping a perfectly hydrated lather can really change a shave.

Personally after reading a lot of posts on these forums, I think I'm starting to put together a short list of the most likely candidate for my next razor: it will probably be the Lambda Athena or the Karve Overlander. They keep being praised for being highly efficient and extremely comfortable.

Thanks for your post by the way.
I think I sold my Overlander too quickly.... I have read it prefers a more shallow angle and I think I tried to force it to shave steeper and I didn't have good shaves with it. Based on what others have experienced, people with whom I have several razors in common, I'm sure the problem was me... not the Overlander.

Now, the Athena.... It's one of my favorites among my Top Razor List. I don't have a "one and only" favorite among them, but the Athena and probably the La Faulx get me into the Zen zone shaves more quickly than the others, perhaps. I'm not quite sure, but I will say... the Athena is a pleasure to use.... the mellow timbre sound, the smoothness of the shave that still ends up being quite close. As David / @never-stop-learning calls it: deceptively efficient... At least, I think that was his phrase..... I might not have it quite correct.. If so, David will correct it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Tatara razors have always confused me. I'm sure if I took some time and really concentrated, I'd get it... This cap with this base plate=this efficiency... And then they offer the adjustable. The names for the caps and base plates instead of numbers... too much for this old mind of mine. <eg>

I'm still confused about which base plate will end up working for me in the RR SuperSlant. I've been musing about it for months now. I only know.... the L3 was too much.. and the L2++ works but it too efficient: way more than I need.

I had the same difficulty with Wolfman WR2 gaps. I ended up following @Mr. Shavington 's experiences and just got the standard gap 0.95 WR2 and it works perfectly for me.

Top Bottom