What's new

Large Blade Gap & Neutral/Negative Exposure Razors?

Does anyone know of a razor with a gap >0.7 mm with neutral/negative blade exposure? Experience has proven that I shave best and most comfortably with razors that have neutral (0) or even negative blade exposure. Razors with neutral/negative exposure all seem to have gaps up to the 0.7 mm range MAXIMUM, though. I'd love to find something with at least 0.8 mm gap, maybe even 1 mm or more ...

Hmmn. I feel like the Chiseled Face Legacy has a large gap-like 1.20 or something. But neutral exposure. I have one, and blade feel is minimal to nonexistent. Very mild. But a huge gap.

Edit: it’s a 1.12 mm gap. But apparently neutral exposure. Sure feels like it. It’s a very mild razor. Easily usable daily.

lasta

Blade Biter
DSCosmetic DS-OR, 0.75mm neutral exposure. Their take on the Flat Bottom Tech (but milder).

Looks great, affordable, mirror polished. I had one of their prototypes, ask if they solved the top cap/baseplate grind alignment problem.
tb_image_share_1704083018975.jpg.png

Looking at the product page, don't see any mention of neutral exposure. I gather the "90" in MJ-90a refers to blade gap, and "a" refers to (?) aggressive?
The “A” does stand for aggressive because it’s actually version 2.0 after their version 1.0 was too mild. My own tests on card stock, and my face feel, tell me the blade exposure is not positive. It’s neutral at most.

The Tatara Muramasa is negative at 0.70 gap and neutral at 0.75, with continuous adjustment. It goes positive in exposure from there. I think some of the nonadjustable Tataras might achieve what you're looking for depending on the choices of parts.

The Tatara Muramasa is negative at 0.70 gap and neutral at 0.75.
Yes, tried it already, and, as I said originally, it's right in the 0.7mm range ... I could Frankenstein the Tatara plates and heads to get a bigger gap with neutral/negative exposure, but we're talking $$$ at that point

Yes, tried it already, and, as I said originally, it's right in the 0.7mm range ... I could Frankenstein the Tatara plates and heads to get a bigger gap with neutral/negative exposure, but we're talking $$$ at that point

The only other ones I know of offhand possibly might be the Stando or the Simple Clean Shave razors, although I'm not sure about the numbers offhand.

The only other ones I know of offhand possibly might be the Stando or the Simple Clean Shave razors, although I'm not sure about the numbers offhand.
The SCS-A is literally the only DE razor I currently own and it's good but mild ... been exploring SE razors recently (mainly AC) and have a vintage GEM razor on the way ...

You may want to take a look at the Barbaros TR-4, it has a massive 1.4mm gap and neutral exposure. I am considering one myself, it is all stainless steel but costs around $200.

The qshave adjustable I have has negative exposure on the lowest 2 settings and a gap over 1mm. I believe the lowest setting for the merkur futur, which is what the qshave is a clone of, has a gap of 1.12 on the lowest setting, although I hear the original is more aggressive in general.

As mentioned, the Chiseled Face Legacy is a fine example. Really a great shaver.

I'm not sure about the gap on the Pils or the Tradere, but I think they are also examples of high-gap, low-exposure razors.

Tatara Nodachi plate with Masamune cap.

0.9mm gap with practically neutral exposure.

Edit: Apologies if I am speaking out of turn or getting the wrong end of the stick, but I have noticed that you have been asking a lot of questions about different razors over the past few months, and I seem to recall you mentioned elsewhere that you have tried and sold a lot of razors too, and find most of them unsatisfactory. I can't help notice that you only joined the forum at the end of July last year. If this is an indication of how long you have been DE shaving, I hate to sound patronising, but there's a good chance the issue isn't the razors - it's lack of experience on your part. You really ought to settle on a typical beginner razor and spend 6 months getting your technique dialled in. Do that with one razor, and it's easier to do it with another. After a couple of years and 3 or 4 razors, you will probably find it much easier to pick something up and get a decent result regardless of precise geometry. Of course, if I am doing 2+2 = 5 then please ignore me, but I am just trying to save you further expenditure for unsatisfactory results.

Last edited:
I believe the Edwin Jagger 3one6 seems to match the description, fairly high blade gap (cannot remember the exact number) and neutral exposure. Otherwise as suggested by @Goblin the Tatara with masamune baseplate and nodachi top cap. I have never tried it but the specs match what you describe.

The Yaqi Mercury has surely an over 1mm blade gap and i guess (just a visual guess) has a neutral blade exposure.
It does work very well, smooth and efficient.

Top Bottom