What's new

Stando Chors

I just received a new Stando Chors razor. I've been intrigued by European artisan razor makers of late so why not give Portugal a chance. I bought it from Westman Shaving out of Portugal...Tiago is super responsive and sent me a couple of samples of his shaving soap that I'm excited to try. I wasn't sure what to expect, but my first shave this morning was stellar.

IMG_9010.jpeg

The finish is satin stainless with kind of a rough feel. I was nervous that it might drag a little on my skin, but it didn't. The razor is well built and is fairly heavy, but it could be that I'm used to using Ti razors mostly. The blade gap is huge...something like 1.30mm or 1.35mm but I believe the blade exposure is neutral so it wasn't scary during use. As a matter of fact, it was super smooth and very easy on my skin. I did my typical 3 pass shave with touch ups with no hint of irritation or issues. There is lots of blade showing beneath the cap, but no hint of blade chatter...kind of reminds me of the Guerrilla somewhat when looking at the amount of blade showing under the cap. Speaking of the Guerrilla, the Chors shaved like the .99 plate on my Guerrilla, but felt more like my Overlander with much more efficiency.

The Chors really surprised me with its performance. The shave I got this morning rivals my Blackbird and Yates H...my best performing DE razors. I wasn't expecting these excellent results on my first outing, but dare I say it was dynamite. Looking forward to using it for the next several days to see if it really does stack up with my best. So far I'm digging it.

Very nice. I have pretty much decided that my next razor will be a Stando. The Chors is the one that I have been looking at, although I really don't need any more razors for a while as I am mostly using shavettes again. In fact, it's nearly the end of March and I think I have only had about 6 shaves with the Nodachi I bought in December, so I definitely can't justify any more DEs at the moment!

I tried the Chors for a bit - and then sold it.

I just couldn't seem to get a smooth, comfortable shave with it.
(similar to my results with Karve D & E, and Timeless .95)

and I also really LOVE my Yates H and Blackbird.
So, it just illustrates how important it is to try for oneself.

Well made shaving tool, for sure, though.

I tried the Chors for a bit - and then sold it.

I just couldn't seem to get a smooth, comfortable shave with it.
(similar to my results with Karve D & E, and Timeless .95)

and I also really LOVE my Yates H and Blackbird.
So, it just illustrates how important it is to try for oneself.

Well made shaving tool, for sure, though.
That’s unfortunate. My second shave was just as good as the first….smooth, efficient, and irritation free. The Chors is surprising me at this point. Shaves as good, or better, than my Blackbird and Yates H….though the shave experience is different.

You are correct in having to try for yourself. I have had terrible results with some razors many love, and great success with razors people don’t like. You never know until you use a razor whether it’s going to work for you. I suppose that’s why I have so many..😂

Stando is probably one of the best values out there right now, along with Shield in terms of price and quality and originality. I have a few (too many) and everyone was surprisingly good. I guess at some point I shouldn't be surprised, but I am 70...

Standos in the back 2 racks, rest are Shields.

20240303_185202.jpg

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Stikeyoda great collection! Let me be direct, the blue/purple Sputnik from Yaqi, I heard it is modeled after the "Hone" razors, but what was your impression of it? I like it, not only the color! Reminds me of my Spyderco knives, they also have a "blurple" color for the scales. :001_tt1:

Edit: oops, if there is already a thread about the Sputnik, don't want to hijack this one!

@Stikeyoda great collection! Let me be direct, the blue/purple Sputnik from Yaqi, I heard it is modeled after the "Hone" razors, but what was your impression of it? I like it, not only the color! Reminds me of my Spyderco knives, they also have a "blurple" color for the scales. :001_tt1:

Edit: oops, if there is already a thread about the Sputnik, don't want to hijack this one!
I'm going to do a write up on it soon. I like it. It reminds of the Hone 15A and the Design94 Aviation94s but more nimble. It could easily be a daily driver. My first impression is it may be one of the best made Yaqis I have after the Ghost and Romulus/Remus.

Stando is probably one of the best values out there right now, along with Shield in terms of price and quality and originality. I have a few (too many) and everyone was surprisingly good. I guess at some point I shouldn't be surprised, but I am 70...

Standos in the back 2 racks, rest are Shields.

View attachment 1820553
Nice collection you have there. The blue/purple razor does look cool. Would also like to know your thoughts on it.

Thanks. How would you compare the Chors and Jaga as far as smoothness, aggressiveness, and ease of use for daily shaves? The Chors is turning out to be fantastic.
Jaga with unprotected blades I don't recommend it for daily shaving
Chors you can also shave on a daily basis, it remains an effective razor and depends on how your skin holds up 🙂

Top Bottom