What's new

The Journal Of Huck...

Hahaha! I knew it...I must be a bad influence...this morning FB is down ...GLOBALLY! What a laugh.
Hey FB...this is for you

reface_1603147010233_609.GIF

Safaris are not working that well. The fine point is as heavy as the medium. I think I might try dip pens or some new nibs on the Safaris. Not real pleased.
Lamy nibs are large generally speaking. Of you want truly fine nibs at an affordable price you can get a pilot. Pilot fine is probably the finest I would go though. I have an EF in pilot and it is not that great. A metropolitan, explorer, kakuno, prera in fine.

Lamy nibs are large generally speaking. Of you want truly fine nibs at an affordable price you can get a pilot. Pilot fine is probably the finest I would go though. I have an EF in pilot and it is not that great. A metropolitan, explorer, kakuno, prera in fine.
Generally I tend towards the fine. I cant seem to remove the nibs though. That may be a result of earlier attempts with waterproof ink that I may not have thoroughly cleaned out of the Lamys. Anyway I am seriously looking at the Studio in fine with an EF nib as well.

Generally I tend towards the fine. I cant seem to remove the nibs though. That may be a result of earlier attempts with waterproof ink that I may not have thoroughly cleaned out of the Lamys. Anyway I am seriously looking at the Studio in fine with an EF nib as well.
I just got my Lamy studio in EF and it is pretty fine, but compared to pilot nope. I think that the Lamy Studio uses the same nibs as the Safari, Al-star as well. It kind of looks like it. If you are truly looking for a fine pen I would head to the Japanese manufacturers.

I just got my Lamy studio in EF and it is pretty fine, but compared to pilot nope. I think that the Lamy Studio uses the same nibs as the Safari, Al-star as well. It kind of looks like it. If you are truly looking for a fine pen I would head to the Japanese manufacturers.
Well, I hear ya. My Faber-Castel Ambition fine is an excellent pen as is the Traveler's Company brass pen I have. I just pulled the trigger on the Safari Studio fine Imperial blue which was at a very good price...so there's that. I think I'll just stay away from waterproof inks in my pens and use dip pens for that ink.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 8.29.55 AM.png

So I decided to turn over a new "Leaf". Yeah, yeah...here it comes, I just got the twig "Thorn". It's a different kinda critter. A single edge half DE blade shaver. Ok. It came with a few of their blades so I loaded up and off we went. I used Proraso green in a lather bowl and built up a nice head of soap. Lathered my phi and began. Very light and manoeuvrable a bit slippery but nothing to worry about. I used a pre-shave oil and I think that's the last time I do that. I just felt greasy and gummy. I'm sure it doesn't do the razor much good either. Live and learn. The shave was uneventful and this is the more 'Aggressive" razor than the Twig. I dunno, it shaved well but never did I think "Whoa, I better pay more attention". Three passes with some buffing and I'm good to go. I like this goofy looking thing which uses a magnet to help hold the blade while you tighten it up. It was a bit awkward loading the blade but I'll get used to it. All in all a nicely priced and effective shaving tool.

tempImageGch5xZ.png
tempImageNvAp2H.png
tempImagem2AXJk.png

So today I thought a re-connection collection of wildlife and zoo pics of animals from over the years would be fun. Some of the pics may be repeats but...I don't care. I'll give a brief/extended explanation per pic just to place the subject and context properly. Forget timelines though because all the pics are from either waaay back or fairly recently.

We're in Vernon BC visiting friends and went to this raptor exhibition where we got to "interact" with various birds of prey from a Kestrel to a vulture. Here I'm bonding with a Harris hawk...well trying to bond, the bird couldn't care less.
10750971168_IMG_0090.JPG

The Harris hawk..."You looking at me?" "Do you have food?"
10750964096_IMG_0095.JPG

Scottish Highland cattle and polka-dot sheep from our whisky tour of the Highlands
DSCN0234.JPG

A squadron/pod/brief of pelicans while we're in Mexico. All the names for a group of pelicans are correct. Who knew?
IMG_0710.JPG

A gathering of coati-mundi's in Mexico. Relatives of raccoons and just as inquisitive
IMG_0721.JPG

Lizard outside our hotel in Mexico
IMG_0728.JPG

Small croc just off the pathway at the hotel in Mexico
IMG_0780.JPG

Large Iguana by the golf course where our friends had a condo at Nuevo Vallarta
P1000373.JPG

Baby Jaguar in the golf shop where our friends golfed in Nuevo Vallarta. The course (El Tigre) had a tiger(s), jaguars they kept in cages around the course.
P1000387.JPG

The crocs. They were brought in originally, to deal with the drowned livestock from flooding years ago. The guide said they released 500 and re-captured 250 or so. Hmm so they now have a thriving population of crocodiles. The Mexican pronunciation is "Cocodrilo" which sounds less scary but as you can see...it's still damn scary. We were on a boat tour that showed off some incredible houses and the river winding through them with all the crocodiles. You cans see how close they get to the houses etc.
I imagine there's been some questions like "Honey, have you seen the dog?"
P1000404.JPG

To continue down my memory lane we next visit:

Back to Nuevo Vallarta and the El Tigre golf course. This critter was lying right beside the tee box so we teed off from the black tees which were further back. If your ball went into the water...you DID NOT try to retrieve it
P1000426.JPG

On Maui, there's lots of wild chickens running around.
P1020551.JPG

Little gecko on the railing of our room. Maui.
P1020577.JPG

Some of the bright birds on Maui.
P1020594.JPG

Inquisitive and didn't mind hand outs.
P1020715.JPG

They have some BIG turtles on Maui. Tiger sharks really like the smaller turtles...sorta like big walnuts. Every time I went into the ocean...I could hear the theme song to "Jaws" playing in my head.
P1020746.JPG

Pretty kitty at The SanDiego zoo
P1020849.JPG

Such a good looking boy...for a WartHog.
P1020857.JPG

Me feeding a giraffe...San Diego zoo. Very gentle animal
P1020875.JPG

Rhino S-D zoo
P1020900.JPG

Seeing as how I'm still at it:

Cheetah at the S-D zoo. They would run the cat against a mechanical prey item and yeah...very fast.

P1020913.jpg

Peacock outside the Hotel Nacional in Havana.
P1030082.JPG

Bison in the park at Clear Lake MB where we have our cabin. They are kept in a huge area that is fenced off etc
P1030248.JPG

Speaking of huge these things are frickin' massive. Why people think they can just wander up to them (Yellowstone) is completely beyond me. They are larger than some compact cars.
P1030254.JPG

Well that's it for now...back to whatever the hell it is I'm doing...oh yeah, waiting for warmer weather that's it.
Cheers everyone!

My new Lamy Studio just showed up. I got it with the Fine nib and it writes just like the Safari with the fine nib so nothing new there. I'm getting a couple of EF nibs coming so I'll test that out when they arrive.
The balance is good, the feel is also very good...fit & finish are excellent and I got a good price. What I didn't get was either an ink cartridge or a converter. Luckily I had an extra Lamy converter which fit so I got that going for me.
It writes really nicely but I think I may prefer the EF nib. It's a matte finish which adds to the elegance of the pen and the chrome holding area isn't slippery. So all in all a good purchase. Filled it with Lamy ink and it's working just fine.

tempImagesTnqfQ.png
tempImageowyBzU.png

My new Lamy Studio just showed up. I got it with the Fine nib and it writes just like the Safari with the fine nib so nothing new there. I'm getting a couple of EF nibs coming so I'll test that out when they arrive.
The balance is good, the feel is also very good...fit & finish are excellent and I got a good price. What I didn't get was either an ink cartridge or a converter. Luckily I had an extra Lamy converter which fit so I got that going for me.
It writes really nicely but I think I may prefer the EF nib. It's a matte finish which adds to the elegance of the pen and the chrome holding area isn't slippery. So all in all a good purchase. Filled it with Lamy ink and it's working just fine.

View attachment 1810907View attachment 1810908
I am enjoying mine as well. I especially like the propeller clip on it. Very elegant. It is a great writer too, like all my Lamy pens. I have the EF nib and I do need to smooth it a little bit though. I think I have some micromesh somewhere. I need to dig it out.

How do you "smooth" the nib?

View attachment 1811241
First step is to check that the tines are aligned properly. You will need a x10 , x20 loupe to check that. Are they even or is one sticking up or down. If so adjust that tine so that they are aligned.

Second, I would check the gap between the tines. Should be ~1.5 mil (0.0015 inch) or there about. Use a brass shim for this or the appropriate feeler gauge. The nib should not like "grab on" to the 1.5 mil feeler. If you need to make it wider you can use a 2,3,4 mil feeler to stretch it a bit and then recheck with the 1.5 mil for progress. Repeat if needed. If they are too wide you have to offset the tines and push them towards each other. Just be gentle. You need to realign the tines after this as well and check the progress with the 1.5 mil feeler. Many YT videos showing this. I especially like doodlebud's videos.

If you still are not smooth you need to polish the nib. Fancy word for that is sand it! I would be very careful not to overdo it though. Start with like 4000 mesh or so and "write" on it and make sure you polish all the angles of the nib. Don't forget upside down. Work up in the grits to 8k or maybe even 12k. If it is really rough you may want to start at a bit lower grit. 1k, 2k.

Hope that helped.
-Boris

Pike (probably Norton too, later) used to sell itty bitty Arkansas stones for that sort of thing. Members here have found them in the wild.

Translucent (2.5x1.25"):
Washita:

I realized that my last travel post with the animals were all pics I had shown before. So this time I'm showing pics of when we went ton Portugal. Here we saw the Royal Palace in Sintra and the Castle Sao Jorge (St. George) in Lisbon among other things.
The people are really wonderful , many spekenglish and at our hotel the staff spoke a variety of languages. So being understood was no problem at all. We were there in feb 2018. The weather was great because during the summer temp can get up to 50C.

Inside the Castle courtyard in Lisbon. Very restful with great views. It was fun getting there because we took wrong trolleys, walked past the correct street, etc. We got there and had a very nice break from adventuring.
"The hill on which Saint George's Castle stands has played an important part in the history of Lisbon, having served as the location of fortifications occupied successively by Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Romans, and Moors, before its conquest by the Portuguese in the 1147 Siege of Lisbon. Since the 12th century, the castle has variously served as a royal palace, a military barracks, home of the Torre do Tombo National Archive, and now as a national monument and museum."
IMG_1154.jpg

View from the castle
IMG_1155.jpg

This is from the Royal Palace at Sintra. Easy to get around, we just took the train from Lisbon. Great rail system in Portugal.
P1030128.jpg

This is a Fort built by the Moors...all the rocks were carried up to the location. Not a fun type of job. The walkways are narrow which adds to the "mountain goat" aspect of walking around the battlements. These forts were built certain distances from each other so that lookout fires could be seen from fort to fort.
P1030139.jpg

The Royal Palace at Sintra.
P1030140.jpg

Same
P1030141.jpg

Inside the palace.
P1030152.jpg

Another outside shot
P1030154.jpg

A large building in Lisbon
P1030164.jpg

Cheers!