What's new

The Journal Of Huck...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, it's been interesting here. The outside temps are like -10 at night to maybe +4C during the day. Our condo bldg is 100 years old and is a heritage bldg. It's heated by a boiler and radiators. The radiators in our condo are all off. The temp inside the condo is +27C or 80F. What? Yeah the building in the hallways etc is really warm which seems to be heating up the condos. Got windows with fans in them blowing in cold air trying to cool things down. Very strange. May have to talk to maintenance tomorrow.
Ouch.

Hey it's gotta be warm in Bali...right? But there you can just push a button and have your AC come on and cool things down, which would be like you having a "Bali Button" BADABOOM!...still cracking myself up.

0b5.gif

So my next trip in the waaaay back machine will take us back to 2003. Back then I went on my first real vacation which took 2 weeks.
I had just bought a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 (Harley Wannabe) a few months earlier and planned on talking it across BC out to the island plus visiting relatives who lived out there and on SaltSpring Island.
I recorded the trip on a Pentax 110 SLR. This was a camera that used 110 film but was in fact a real SLR camera with interchangeable lenses, various filters, a flash and autowinder. My dad had picked it up on one of his trips to Japan. The camera first came out in 1978 and mine is the Safari edition because of the brown "leather" look. It definitely made the 110 format clearer and capable of better pictures.
Story and more pics tomorrow.

tempImagePzZqcH.png
tempImageY5O5tG.png
tempImageyRxL13.png

So my next trip in the waaaay back machine will take us back to 2003. Back then I went on my first real vacation which took 2 weeks.
I had just bought a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 (Harley Wannabe) a few months earlier and planned on talking it across BC out to the island plus visiting relatives who lived out there and on SaltSpring Island.
I recorded the trip on a Pentax 110 SLR. This was a camera that used 110 film but was in fact a real SLR camera with interchangeable lenses, various filters, a flash and autowinder. My dad had picked it up on one of his trips to Japan. The camera first came out in 1978 and mine is the Safari edition because of the brown "leather" look. It definitely made the 110 format clearer and capable of better pictures.
Story and more pics tomorrow.

View attachment 1802917View attachment 1802918View attachment 1802919
What a fantastic little camera!

Ok, so I left the house around 9am on July 1st 2003 on my 2 week motorcycle adventure. I had bought the bike from the store which was right next door to the dealership I worked at. Pretty handy. The experience was less than great. From thinking I had bought the display bike (I had) to being told it was not available to having one brought in and then accessorized the same as the display model (which is what I'd paid for) became a swamp of screw-ups and frustration. Got to the point I was looking at other stores to buy the bike at. Then the owners got together with me to sort things out and proceed. Finally. I mean several guys, including my managers had bought bikes there so it's not like they didn't know us. Anyway, the finance manager was one of the rudest SOBs I have ever met. This clown is working in retail and treats people with arrogance and disdain. I got that sorted out REAL quick and had another mgr take care of me and my bike. I did let the original guy know what I thought of him and provided him with very succinct directions and what he could do with himself. I know, petty...but he deserved it and I was quite happy to tell him so.
First day out to Vernon 623 km. Actually snowed a bit while I was going through the Rogers Pass. Hmm. Rode to Revelstoke and from there to Galena Bay where I took the ferry. Then it was onto Nakusp and Fauquier. Then it was the Needles ferry.
Now I had deliberately chosen different routes to take advantage of some of BCs great roads for biking. Had the maps all laid out etc. Couldn't find the maps. Sigh.
After the Needles ferry I start to rip it up and things are good...until they aren't. In Alberta, speed signs are taken with a grain of salt...generally you can take corners faster than the posted speed. I figured it was the same in BC.
Well, they have signs other than the normal ones which have the speed in black in a yellow square surrounded by radiating black and white lines. These are the ones that mean it, seriously. I see one that tells me the max is 50km/hr. I'm doing close to 100km.
I'm gearing down and literally braking as hard as I can. This is a hairpin corner. I'm scraping the pegs and still going too fast...damn, I'm gonna dump my new bike. Then to top it all off I hit a small patch of gravel...and wind up with the rear tire sliding around just enough to have me pointed in exactly the right direction and no dumping or spillage.
I have to stop and take a few minutes. I am now paying close attention to the speed signs and the surroundings.
I get to Vernon and stay at the Tiki Village Hotel. Tacky and I love it. A so-so meal at Earls and that's it for the first day.
I found my maps in a secret compartment on my Tbag.
The rest of the trip was highlighted by gorgeous scenery, great weather and seeing relatives I hadn't seen for some time.
Lots of wildlife which I managed to avoid thankfully.
Got to Vancouver and stayed with my Aunt & Uncle for a couple of days. Then onto the ferry to Saltspring island to see cousins and their kids for a bit. Then another ferry to Vancouver island then Victoria, more relatives and then biking around the island.
Got to Ucluelet and spent time with my cousin and his wife. Great house and they have lots of wildlife including bears wandering around as well. They took me to Long Beach and drove me around the area. Lots of surfers at Tofino. Next day up to Campbell River and Port Hardy.
But first I stopped in Cathedral Grove...an old growth area that is just serene and very quiet. 800 year old trees and a very spiritual kind of place. 100 yards away from the highway and you can't hear a thing. Beautiful and very well maintained.
Getting along with the bike and finding out where my abilities are and what the bike can do. Later on I start customizing the bike more including custom seat upholstery and paint plus na bunch of mechanical upgrades including converting the front forks to a cartridge system which really improved the cornering and handling.
The trip is going well with only one minor hiccup wherein I damn near ran outta gas in a fairly remote area of the island. I did manage to limp into the town of Sayward and gassed up.
Lots of small towns to ride through and enjoyed the leisurely pace. Got to Nanaimo and found a nice little 50's vibe motel "The Bluebird'. Really priced well and I found out why...VIA rail runs behind the place several times a day...shakes the place so now I've got the massage feature as well.
Walked to a pub where I wound up talking some bikers who were also traveling around the island. Wound up having too many cocktails to the point where I slept (unconscious) through the train shakes.
The next day my head was...pounding. Before I started the holiday I had changed the pipes on the bike. Put on some Vance & Hines classics. Made the bike louder. Which on this morning wasn't a great thing. So I started out quietly and slowly.
Which was funny because as I'm riding down this street a cop jumps out up ahead and gets me with his radar gun.
He looks down at the reading fully expecting to pull over the biker and issue a ticket. He looks up with a profound look of disappointment and dismay as I quietly rumble by well under the limit.
Back to Victoria Swartz Bay and the ferry. Met a guy from San Angelo Texas. Nice guy who was going from Texas up to Alaska on his BMW motorcycle...pulling a kayak he had made. Beautiful boat but he had never been kayaking before. Now San Angelo is in the middle of Texas but he wanted to try ocean kayaking and he did. It didn't really go the way he wanted with overturning in heavy seas etc. Managed to get back to shore ok but the kayaking part was over. I told him to stop in Vancouver, store the kayak with the rickshaw trailer he had also made and then pick it back up on his way back to Texas. Maybe he was going to try the kayaking again...I don't know.
Stayed with the relatives again for a couple days and then it was back on the road. Took a different route up to Whistler, Pemberton and then Lillooet. Got really warm over 35C. I'd stop, gas up and buy two bottles of water. One to drink and one to pour over myself. That would dry out in about 5 minutes. Rode to Kamloops then to Salmon Arm couldn't find a place to stay so continued to Sicamous where I found a room at the Monashee Motor Inn. Very nice people and they gave a nice deal on a large room. The skies opened up just as I got stowed away. Mostly things had gone well but there was a few instances where people were not paying attention which can be problematic for bikers. But in general not much swearing or hand signs to other drivers.
As I headed back to Alberta the weather became more unsettled, glad I brought a rain suit. Good thing because as I got to the provincial border it started to rain. I found out that at 110km/hr the rain would just move off the windshield. Under that it didn't move so well. The tires were excellent and not once did I have any issues.
Got to Banff and the weather began to clear up. From Canmore the road was dry and traffic moved along quickly.
Until Calgary where it started to rain...and hail. Damn that stuff hurts. I pull over under a bridge to wait this out.
I notice that traffic is backing up due to a lane closure up ahead. Also people aren't slowing down until the last moment...still used to highway speeds.
You know what's coming next. Some idiots in a Jeep Cherokee are not paying attention and rear end a Minivan...hard. Man that's an ugly noise. everyone seems to be ok and walking around the accident. Police etc. are called and I decide it's time to go. It's still raining but no hail. I get home around around 3 pm and 5 minutes later it stops raining and out comes the sun...nice.
All in all a great trip, nice visits, really got in sync with the bike and my skills also improved a lot.
Kept the bike for a few years after that until I bought my H-D Road King Classic. Sold the Vulcan to a guy I worked with and he got a really nice bike.
I miss having a bike but am settling for my pedal E-bike which suits me at my age a bit better.
Cheers!
Me starting out...July 1st 2003.
IMG_3147.jpeg

On the ferry
tempImageWMmFJO.png

Big rocks outside Vernon
tempImagepo07lQ.png

Beach at White Rock
tempImageWvHFOF.png

Boat at Tswawasen
tempImageCMEH1B.png

Cousins place at Ucluelet
tempImageOKhwzk.png

Their backyard
tempImage6cJf7p.png

Long Beach
tempImageXwNych.png

Cathedral Grove
tempImagefNEV01.png

Cathedral grove
tempImagemE5zom.png

More pics. I had to shoot pictures of the original pics because they were glued into my trip journal. Still they turned out pretty well at least you know what you're looking at.
Here's the rest...

Boats in Campbell River on the island.
tempImagejKEyIw.png

Me in Campbell River
tempImageRvPAng.png

Side of road clearing and controlled brush burning...not much wind.
tempImageIbaKnd.png

Headed to Nanaimo
tempImageslzRJC.png

Dock area in Nanaimo
tempImage9Sodfr.png

More Nanaimo
tempImageEuzw6s.png

HorseShoe Bay ferry terminal
tempImagerG5lJd.png

Lillooet
tempImageb4c45P.png

Headed to Kamloops
tempImage6ifCxM.png

Last stop outside of Banff before final shot home.
tempImagemnfx4X.png

So today it's "NEW YORK, NEW YORK"!
I met my to-be wife back in 2009 in Calgary, we got along well enough that she invited me to join her on a trip to New York. This was in late November. Now she had done a lot of prior traveling whereas myself, not so much. Being a sports interested person (as is she) this seemed to be a cool thing to do. I missed out on the seat sale because of some hemming and hawing but did get on the plane with her.
Of course there was a layover in Toronto because we live in Regina, a very small market and that's to be expected. So we got to NY very early in the morning. Got to our hotel and rested up for a while. Then it was out exploring. Saw a lot of the iconic NY places, went to a couple of plays, saw Cirque du Soleil at the gardens, ate at some great small restaurants and had a terrific time.
Did a few museums, wandered through Central Park, hung out on Times Square, took the subway, saw Yankee stadium (new and old) and did some shopping. The weather was great and easy to walk around in.
We never felt unsafe etc even at 3 am wandering around Times Sq. Very nice, friendly people even on the subway where guys would routinely offer Carmen their seat if it was crowded. Gotta tell ya, they use the subway for everything including moving. It was very enlightening.
We had drinks at the Palace Hotel and it was very nice and funny. ?..well, Carmen had a couple of glasses of wine and I had a couple of martinis which kinda seemed apropos for the place and time. She said the drinks were on her, very gracious and I agreed. The waiter was excellent, funny, attentive and from Egypt. My drinks were superb.
Now after a very enjoyable break in the day Carmen signalled for the bill. As we finished our drinks, Carmen looked at the total and the look on her face was one of surprise...not loud or anything but a definite raising of the eyebrows and eye contact with me.
The bill was, for four drinks, $125 US and that didn't include the tip. I had a great laugh over this and so did she. Not sure what we expected but it wasn't that much. I suppose if you were to stay at that hotel you could probably afford the drinks.
It was a great trip and we got to know each other a lot better. We have not been apart since except for a few times where she traveled for work etc. She likes to tease me that I got lucky and punched waaay above my weight class and I tend to agree.
Cheers!

Sunrise from the plane as we start to land
IMG_0809.JPG

New York
IMG_0817.jpg

Rockefeller Sq. Surprised at how small it actually is. Looks bigger in the movies
IMG_0819.JPG

Times Sq. area I think
IMG_0820.jpg

Downtown
IMG_0823.jpg

Carmen and Yankee stadium
IMG_0830.jpg

Downtown
IMG_0832.JPG

The Guggenheim museum
IMG_0853.JPG

Big Damn Museum
IMG_0856.JPG

Central Park
IMG_0861.JPG

And a few more pics of New York...I'm pretty sure I've identified the pics properly but due to old age, memory etc I may be wrong. The ones of Carmen are correct..:w00t::w00t:

Central Park
IMG_0864.JPG

Central Park
IMG_0869.JPG

Carmen and the very expensive Palace Hotel drink episode
IMG_0874.JPG

Times Square
IMG_0880_copy-1.JPG

Times Square
IMG_0881.JPG

Carmen and Times Square
IMG_0883.jpg

So as I may have stated...last New Years I decided I'm going to start trying to get in touch with old friends from when I was back in Calgary. I have managed to contact a couple but then decided to join FB...again. The last time I was on it I managed, through insulting people because they were so damn stupid, get myself suspended time and time again for about 6 months out of 9 or 10. I left FB and my life without getting into political arguments etc became much quieter and nicer all around.
So now I'm trying to re-connect with people but just to re-connect...I'm not going to do what I did before. My wife is relieved. So far I have found a few, hopefully more. And I've also found a number of people I was close to through work, sports, hobbies etc who are no longer with us. This has somewhat dampened my re-connection journey and given me an acute awareness of my own mortality as well. Since I moved away from Calgary to the middle of nowhere (Regina) I have lost contact with a lot of people but I am now going to try and find those who are still alive and kicking to let them know how much I appreciated them. Maybe even arrange a re-union of sorts. Details to follow...Cheers
giphy-25.gif

So as I may have stated...last New Years I decided I'm going to start trying to get in touch with old friends from when I was back in Calgary. I have managed to contact a couple but then decided to join FB...again. The last time I was on it I managed, through insulting people because they were so damn stupid, get myself suspended time and time again for about 6 months out of 9 or 10. I left FB and my life without getting into political arguments etc became much quieter and nicer all around.
So now I'm trying to re-connect with people but just to re-connect...I'm not going to do what I did before. My wife is relieved. So far I have found a few, hopefully more. And I've also found a number of people I was close to through work, sports, hobbies etc who are no longer with us. This has somewhat dampened my re-connection journey and given me an acute awareness of my own mortality as well. Since I moved away from Calgary to the middle of nowhere (Regina) I have lost contact with a lot of people but I am now going to try and find those who are still alive and kicking to let them know how much I appreciated them. Maybe even arrange a re-union of sorts. Details to follow...Cheers
View attachment 1806634
I left FB for similar reasons, I did not get banned but it just wasn't worth the hassle. I intend to avoid FB at all costs, it is a time bandit and I am much happier without it. I do see your desire to reconnect with long ago friends and unfortunately, FB is just about the only option for that kind of need. Good luck being back on FB, hopefully, it will be a pleasant experience for you.

I left FB for similar reasons, I did not get banned but it just wasn't worth the hassle. I intend to avoid FB at all costs, it is a time bandit and I am much happier without it. I do see your desire to reconnect with long ago friends and unfortunately, FB is just about the only option for that kind of need. Good luck being back on FB, hopefully, it will be a pleasant experience for you.
I left FB many years ago and I have not looked back.

So far so good. We'll see. If I get emails etc that might be the better way to go.

Top Bottom