What's new

Pressed leather scales

Hi Guys,

As a newb struggling to control my recently developed SRAD, I have a few questions about pressed leather as a scale material.

Is it common?

Is there any correlation between the use of this material and the age of the razor (ie is it an early material, or common throughout the age spectrum)

Does it imply cheap "for the masses" razors rather than more expensive ones.

I have amassed 9 razors to date - and two of them have pressed leather scales- and I spotted another locally that I may acquire that is dressed in squashed cow as well.

The two I have currently are of very different styles
A big, heavy, near wedge by Jonathan Pitchford Sheffield.
A slim light and agile F. F Soderen Eskilstuna frameback
Both excellent shavers I have to say!

Any info would be appreciated - I am on a steep learning curve here.

Thanks

Geo B

I have nearly 200 razors in my collection and have never seen leather scales. Are you sure its not Micarta? I would like to see pictures of the scales.

I am no photographer - but I'll give it a whirl.

$20160812_200557.jpg$20160812_200739.jpg

These are both pics of the the Pitchford scales.
The leather texture is more obvious than on the Swedish Frameback.

Apologies for the hinge pin - it was my first attemp at unpinning, cleaning up and repinning :blushing:

Wow, that does look like leather. I've not seen that before. Pressed horn? Sure. But not leather, which strikes me as an odd choice for scale material.

That was why I asked the question.

I am pretty sure this is leather. and I'm pretty sure it is not all that common - but I have managed to find three razors clad in this material since getting into this in April.
I thought I must be mistaken.
The stuff is fairly rigid - if it is leather it has obviously been boiled or steamed and then pressed into a mould to form it.

I would not think it would be very durable if soaked, hence my question as to whether these were cheap "man in the street" razors

Geo

sure looks like leather.leather can become very hard if treated correctly.it would take quite a soaking to break it back down.look at the WWII K-BAR handle.curious indeed

I had a 6/8 Jernbolaget frameback that I procured out of Sweden. I was told that the scales were boiled leather. They were nothing like I have seen. Sold it, didn't care for the razor, loved the scales though. Crazy sharp, weightless and thin. Bendy little beast. I'm glad someone brought this up because I had never heard anyone talk about boiled leather scales and I could never confirm the one I had:

proxy.php

proxy.php

~Royce

#DudeAbides

That Jernbolaget looks almost identical to the F. W. Soderen one I mentioned in my opening post.

I didn't photograph it as it didn't show the leather scales so clearly as the Pitchford/

But here is my Swede!
$20160809_135316.jpg

Does seem likely leather might have been used in hard times - I was just surprised how often I had come across them in my short career in Razor Acquisition.

Top Bottom