What's new

B&B opinions on Yaqi DE razors and components...

I'm new here at B&B and am having fun just reading up on available products, especially. I'm also pretty skeptical of marketing material, which includes unsolicited reviews, for the most part.

I'm getting interested in assembling a razor from the various available parts--in a way, it's like being a kid again and piecing together a car: it is likely not to be as good as a well-crafted high end complete razor, but it has that personal involvement, which is part of the fun.

I note that Yaqi has a very wide product offering, and this seems to be primarily parts--which appear magnificent in their marking photos, and for all I know, they may be. But...

I'm going to break my specific question into two main parts: quality of manufactured products; and design philosophy(s).

1. Quality

First off, it looks to me like Yaqi often offers much the same parts (and here I'll limit this to razor heads) under different model names but are made from different material. Working only from memory, it looks like they offer a dual comb head in both Zamac(n) and 316 stainless. The alignment system might differ somewhat. And the price is much higher for SS--high for a Chinese product, but moderate for the higher end labels.

It seems to me like SS and Zamac(n) have vastly different physical properties (here I'm focusing not on consumer concerns, but *manufacturing* concerns), and therefore they are made in different facilities and on different production lines. It may be that the SS production methods are very good, but the Zamac less so. Fit and finish may differ. Or vice-versa.

B&B friends and fellow-sufferers ;), what are your opinions of the quality of manufacture for both the SS parts and the Zamac parts, as compared to say, Muhle or Merkur?

2. Design philosophy

My initial impression is that Yaqi has none: they are simply looking at the design of higher-end manufacturers, assessing what consumers might really find attractive, and then reverse engineering it. They appear to by trollingmany, many shiny objects for the cost-conscious western consumer to strike.

But then there's more. They have some, to my eye, unique designs (Harlequin, Mellon, Bohemia) that are hard to account for, some of them. E.g., the Harlequin looks like the common bolt-plus-two lugs alignment design, but with squared rather than circular cross-sectioned lugs. The Mellon looks intuitively like it *might* makes sense to someone, somewhere, perhaps, but I have to scratch my head when looking at the Bohemia. I cannot conceive of any advantages--except aesthetic--that the head design confers.

So in conclusion, it may look like I'm ragging on Yaqi, but in all seriousness I'm considering buying one of their dual comb heads, in either Zamac or SS, then laying ahold of some sort of fat handle. At my age I'm losing a lot of manuakl dexterity, and the Slim I just bought feels--to my spastic, insensitive fingers--like I'm playing Pickup Sticks with my daughter again.

Any observations/opinions about any aspects of Yaqi design or quality (or price) are of course much appreciated!

I can only speak on behalf of their brushes which are excellent quality. That production mindset could extrapolate to their razors. I think their SS versions are almost in line with Western pricing as they toe that line really closely now as demand increases for their perceived value.

They have some, to my eye, unique designs (Harlequin, Mellon, Bohemia) that are hard to account for, some of them. E.g., the Harlequin looks like the common bolt-plus-two lugs alignment design, but with squared rather than circular cross-sectioned lugs.
The Yaqi Harlequin is not unique but a copy of the highly desirable vintage Gillette Goodwill model.

I can only speak on behalf of their brushes which are excellent quality. That production mindset could extrapolate to their razors. I think their SS versions are almost in line with Western pricing as they toe that line really closely now as demand increases for their perceived value.

The Yaqi Harlequin is not unique but a copy of the highly desirable vintage Gillette Goodwill model.

"...their perceived value"

That's exactly the point of my OP. How does the quality stack up in actual comparison with other mid-market brands like Muhle?

lasta

Blade Biter
Yaqi can be a hit or miss.

A lot of old "me too" products that branded them with a perceived poor reputation.

But the stainless Mellon was my biggest positive surprise of the year. I dabbled with a few modern Above the Tie, Rex, Karve, Feather, and RazoRocks but the Mellon was the only one I kept/reach for.

Shiniest razor I own bar none. Good luck finding anything even close under $220 (Lambda).

I have a couple of their less expensive heads, and they seem to be of good quality. I have their 'Flipside' dual comb head in black and it is a smooth and comfortable shaver that probably leans toward the milder side of my collection but I enjoy that. With a quality blade it tackles anything I throw at it.

1689711740836.png

Yaqi can be a hit or miss.

A lot of old "me too" products that branded them with a perceived poor reputation.

But the stainless Mellon was my biggest positive surprise of the year. I dabbled with a few modern Above the Tie, Rex, Karve, Feather, and RazoRocks but the Mellon was the only one I kept/reach for.

Shiniest razor I own bar none. Good luck finding anything even close under $220 (Lambda).
Thanks!

I have a few of the Yaqi razors, but don't have any Muhle or Merkurs to compare against. I have zamak, stainless steel, aluminum, and brass versions of Yaqi's and all are well made. Some shave extremely well and some are mediocre just like other brands. That being said I'm fairly lucky and can get a decent shave out of almost any razor.
Material of the razor doesn't always matter, I prefer the zamak telestar over the stainless version. It just shaves slightly more enjoyable for me. All of the Yaqi razors I have all have good fit and finishes, that's why I do continue to buy and use them.

As for their designs, they do copy and reuse on a few of their products. Sometimes it's nice like in the case of the Bohemia, it's a copy of a French Bohin which is a difficult to find razor. The Harlequin was also mentioned by @Calyshaver as a copy of the Gillette Goodwill but in stainless, it also aligns the blade better but is slightly more aggressive. The Final Cut (TFC) is a Gibbs clone made in zamak, brass, or stainless. I have the brass and zamak and both are great razors for me. All of these are razors no longer in production but they also have the Sputnik which is a clone of an in production Hone.
The handles they make are well made but many of the newer versions are highly polished and I prefer slightly more grip.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Yaqi has a lot of affordable razor heads in Stainless steel & Zamak chrome coated metal head razors and the Mellon head dual comb in Zamak top cap is used to alter the blade exposure or blade feel of Frankenstein razors a lot . The Mellon head in Zamak is a nice mild high efficentcy razor, I bought a lot of Yaqi razor heads on the cheap off their live sale months ago.
Another real good Yaqi razor I enjoy a lot is their flipside dual sided razor head, the comb side is slightly milder than the straight bar side. If a person can not get a close shave with the Flipside(tame mid range) there is something wrong with a person's technique, it's basically a adjustable razor on the fly by just flipping 180 degrees.
I bought all my Yaqi razors on sale and like the brand if a person likes to save a few dollars & they are a good middle of the road razor has been my experiences.
Another all range great adjustable razor TFC is of good value and gives excellent shaves, it's design is based off the the famous Gibbs adjustable razor of the 1930's and I enjoy that razor a lot also .

I have a few of the Yaqi razors, but don't have any Muhle or Merkurs to compare against. I have zamak, stainless steel, aluminum, and brass versions of Yaqi's and all are well made. Some shave extremely well and some are mediocre just like other brands. That being said I'm fairly lucky and can get a decent shave out of almost any razor.
Material of the razor doesn't always matter, I prefer the zamak telestar over the stainless version. It just shaves slightly more enjoyable for me. All of the Yaqi razors I have all have good fit and finishes, that's why I do continue to buy and use them.

As for their designs, they do copy and reuse on a few of their products. Sometimes it's nice like in the case of the Bohemia, it's a copy of a French Bohin which is a difficult to find razor. The Harlequin was also mentioned by @Calyshaver as a copy of the Gillette Goodwill but in stainless, it also aligns the blade better but is slightly more aggressive. The Final Cut (TFC) is a Gibbs clone made in zamak, brass, or stainless. I have the brass and zamak and both are great razors for me. All of these are razors no longer in production but they also have the Sputnik which is a clone of an in production Hone.
The handles they make are well made but many of the newer versions are highly polished and I prefer slightly more grip.
Thank you very much for the wealth of info!!!

Yaqi has a lot of affordable razor heads in Stainless steel & Zamak chrome coated metal head razors and the Mellon head dual comb in Zamak top cap is used to alter the blade exposure or blade feel of Frankenstein razors a lot . The Mellon head in Zamak is a nice mild high efficentcy razor, I bought a lot of Yaqi razor heads on the cheap off their live sale months ago.
Another real good Yaqi razor I enjoy a lot is their flipside dual sided razor head, the comb side is slightly milder than the straight bar side. If a person can not get a close shave with the Flipside(tame mid range) there is something wrong with a person's technique, it's basically a adjustable razor on the fly by just flipping 180 degrees.
I bought all my Yaqi razors on sale and like the brand if a person likes to save a few dollars & they are a good middle of the road razor has been my experiences.
Another all range great adjustable razor TFC is of good value and gives excellent shaves, it's design is based off the the famous Gibbs adjustable razor of the 1930's and I enjoy that razor a lot also .
Again, excellent information. Thanks!

Their razor heads can be hit or miss for me, but that goes for all brands pretty much. I like the sloc, zephyr and merkur style blue head. Didn't care for the aggressive slant, or mercury. The half de blade single edge was just ok maybe a touch aggressive, I think I got the single edge after a few revisions. I consider most of their brushes good value brushes if bought on sale, but I wouldn't consider any of them amazing like SOME ap shave co or turn 'n shave.

Their razor heads can be hit or miss for me, but that goes for all brands pretty much. I like the sloc, zephyr and merkur style blue head. Didn't care for the aggressive slant, or mercury. The half de blade single edge was just ok maybe a touch aggressive, I think I got the single edge after a few revisions. I consider most of their brushes good value brushes if bought on sale, but I wouldn't consider any of them amazing like SOME ap shave co or turn 'n shave.
Thanks for the valuable information!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a few issues with Yaqi razors. I only own two.. and one of them was give away for free with the purchase of another razor.

My main problem? Between the time when I ordered mine... and the reviews of the new unannounced model change... the Sentinels I got were not the Sentinels first reviewed here... there was a model change so the razors I thought I was ordering were this second model.. and the shaves are completely different.

This doesn't even include how my order was messed up and I didn't receive the Chippendale handle I ordered...I ordered a replacement.. and it got to Georgia 4 days ago.. but still hasn't made it to the USPS.. even though it supposedly left this George freight depot Yaqi uses. I have no idea if it will ever show up or if it's lost.

This was my first razor order from Yaqi... and I'm not a happy customer.

Yeah usually I would wait a while before the revisions to happen before ordering(unless I bought somewhat dirt cheap during one of their live sales), I didn't expect the sentinel head to get worse...

"[...] but I have to scratch my head when looking at the Bohemia. I cannot conceive of any advantages--except aesthetic--that the head design confers."
And this is certainly one of the most fantastic things about this razor, it's how amazing is! That design, which appears to not offer any advantage, gives a geometry that's simply one of the most permissive and at the same time very efficient designs I've ever seen, beyond the perfect handle grip.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a few issues with Yaqi razors. I only own two.. and one of them was give away for free with the purchase of another razor.

My main problem? Between the time when I ordered mine... and the reviews of the new unannounced model change... the Sentinels I got were not the Sentinels first reviewed here... there was a model change so the razors I thought I was ordering were this second model.. and the shaves are completely different.

This doesn't even include how my order was messed up and I didn't receive the Chippendale handle I ordered...I ordered a replacement.. and it got to Georgia 4 days ago.. but still hasn't made it to the USPS.. even though it supposedly left this George freight depot Yaqi uses. I have no idea if it will ever show up or if it's lost.

This was my first razor order from Yaqi... and I'm not a happy customer.
Sounds like it is clearing customs, in Canada it takes 1-6 days it seems over the years of ordering on Alie_press. Paper work has to be accurate or there is problems.
We had a dealership from a Colorado company when I worked for a certain company & when shipping into Canada & if the paper work was not accurate enough to border inspector folks the truck driver would be there for days waiting for paper adjustments, it is the way things worked 35+ years ago.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sounds like it is clearing customs, in Canada it takes 1-6 days it seems over the years of ordering on Alie_press. Paper work has to be accurate or there is problems.
We had a dealership from a Colorado company when I worked for a certain company & when shipping into Canada & if the paper work was not accurate enough to border inspector folks the truck driver would be there for days waiting for paper adjustments, it is the way things worked 35+ years ago.
With no other scans than today... it looks like the two handles I ordered are showing up today... the Chippendale from Yaqi and the Titanium Destroyer from DScosmetic.

Top Bottom