What's new

So I tried a couple-few unscented soaps...

So I tried a couple-few unscented soaps.
Why unscented? I am not allergic to any scents that I am aware of. I just feel we live in a society that is overly saturated in scents, mainly artificial. What is the matter with just smelling like...a person?

TOOLS & TECHNIQUE

• AP Shave Co. Custom with 24mm G5C fan knot. (I love this knot!)

• Stainless Katori bowls.
(Katori bowls are small 3.5 inch diameter bowls used to hold small Indian side dishes and or condiments. I use them because we have virtually no counter space and soap tubs do not fit in the medicine cabinet above the sink. These Katori bowls fit in the cabinet.)
I have 2, one with a soap I am testing and one with a known soap I like, as a baseline for comparison. I put a well rounded teaspoon of soap in the Katori bowl. This usually gets me a few weeks, give or take, of daily shaving per sample.

• If necessary I let the new soap "air" and dry in the Katori bowl for about a week before I start using. I do this because I do not like really soft soap. I find the brush picks up whole bits of soap globs. I feel the soap lasts longer if a little firmer.

• I load from the Katori bowl for 30 seconds with each soap to keep things even. To some it may seem like a lot of loading time? This actually works pretty well. The very small bowl does not allow for a lot of brush movement. Usually enough for a generous 3 pass shave and the option of squeezing out a 4th on the neck.

• I face lather.

IDIOSYNCRASIES
I have a few peculiarities that factor into my opinions on these soaps:

• I shower after I shave. This greatly skews my post shave impressions. I miss out on some of the post shave moisturizing, but I also avoid some post shave drying. I do not "wash" my face in the shower. Just thoroughly rinse.

• I am a cold water shaver. This only factors in whether I need to refill the sink with hot water to rinse my razor. Not a significant variable regarding my satisfaction with soaps, but does come up in my reviews.

• I do not prefer soft, gloppy soaps. Again, not a significant factor, but it is noted.

• I do not care for lotion or moisturizers in general. Soaps with a excessively pronounced post shave moisturizing effect are slightly less desirable to me (Still way better than drying soaps!). I will not generally list this as a bad thing. I know many prefer the moisturizing post shave soaps.

• My beard is pretty thick and pretty coarse, but not to an extreme degree.

• My skin is not particularly sensitive. I would say average.

FORMAT

- SMELL
I know, these are unscented, but most everything has an odor.

- CONSISTENCY
Is it gloppy, is it firm, will it firm up in a reasonable amount of time?

- LATHER
These are all pretty easy to work with. Some are more "thirsty" than others.

- SHAVE
Is it good shave, a great shave?

- POST SHAVE
Does it dry the face, moisturize, or is it neutral? Does the smell linger?

- AVAILABILITY
This matters. Unscented soaps are generally not as available as their scented brethren.
Can I only get it from the maker? That can make it hard to combine items for free shipping.

- NOTES
On my thoughts and opinions. Pros and cons.

RANKING

#1 = Excellent. Highly recommend. Due to subtleties that may only matter to me, these are MY favorites. This category will have three subgroups:
#1+ = FAVORITE OVERALL
#1V = FAVORITE VEGAN
#1T = FAVORITE TALLOW

#2 = Excellent. Highly recommend. I could put these in the corresponding #1 spots and be perfectly happy. It really is splitting hairs between #1 & #2.

#3 = Excellent. Highly recommend. Due to subtleties that may only matter to me, they are not MY preference.

#4 = Not saying they are bad. They just do not work for me.

VEGAN SOAPS

ARIANA AND EVANS
SKIN ESSENTIALS
UNSCENTED SHAVING BUTTER

- SMELL
There is little to no smell.

- CONSISTENCY
Very soft right out of the tub. Still a bit soft after letting it air for a few days.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.

- SHAVE
Excellent.
Slick, thick, and protective.
Needs warm water to rinse razor.

- POST SHAVE
Excellent.
Very moisturizing all day.
No lingering smell.

- AVAILABILITY
Very good.

- NOTES
This is a super fatted vegan soap... butter... thing. I like it quite a lot.
I cannot really quantify why I like PAA Scentsless better. Maybe it is that the container reminds me of a cosmetics jar? Does it subconsciously threaten my masculinity?!?
The A&E Butter is an excellent "fatty" vegan soap.

CANADA SHAVING SOAP

- SMELL
None.

- CONSISTENCY
Hard!
It is aged and lasts a long, long time.
It is difficult to scrape some off with a spoon. It is difficult to compact it into my Katori bowl. A minor con, but noteworthy.

- LATHER
Easier than the others. 20 seconds load time gives 3 generous passes. Hate to repeat the cliche, but... "explodes" into a lather.

- SHAVE
Excellent!
Slick, thick, and protective. Luxurious.
Feels clean and light (not thin).
Razor rinses with cold water.

- POST SHAVE
Perfection!
Leaves my skin neutral. Neither moisturized nor dry. To me that is perfect. Having no smell to begin with, there is no smell to linger.

- AVAILABILITY
Really poor.
With shipping factored in, it is prohibitively expensive to buy directly from the maker.
As far as I know, none of the common shaving sites carry it. I wish they would.
You can get it from "the jungle website" at about $32 for a 6oz tub. However, it is not always in stock. It is a buy it when you find it, not when you need it, proposition.

- NOTES
I LOVE THIS!
The ingredient list is short and simple. With no extra butters or oils, I have to think it is the added glycerin that makes the difference?
This is my "Desert Island" soap.

L.A. SHAVING
BLACK VOID

- SMELL
None.

- Consistency.
Only a little soft out of the tub. Still benefits from a little airing.

- LATHER.
Seems easy? I cannot get this soap dialed? More water... less water...?

- SHAVE
Not good.
Makes the razor skip and skid across my face. Like a clean finger over a thoroughly degreased plate of glass.
I tried and tried to get it to work. No joy.
Razor rinses in cold water.

- POST SHAVE
Middling.
Minor drying, no irritation.

- Availability.
Fair.

- NOTES
I am sure it is just me. I could not get it to work.
This is the only soap I tried with either clay or charcoal. Maybe one of these is what ruins it for me?

PHOENIX ARTISAN ACCOUTERMENTS
SCENTSLESS
CK-6

- SMELL
It has a noticeable, but mild plant oil and plant butter smell that mellows after it has aired out. I have come to find its smell familiar and pleasing.

- CONSISTENCY
It is a little too soft right out of the tub. Firms up fine after letting it air for a few days.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.

- SHAVE
Excellent.
Slick, thick, and protective. Ultra luxurious.

- POST SHAVE
Excellent.
No lingering odor.

- AVAILABILITY
Poor.
Maker only.

- NOTES
I like this soap, a lot. My favorite of the two super fatted vegan soaps I tried. I think it is comparable to the fatty tallow soaps.

SOAP COMMANDER
INTEGRITY

- SMELL
Smells like soap.

- CONSISTENCY
Not overly soft out of the tub. Still benefits from a little airing.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.

- SHAVE
Very good.
No complaints.

- POST SHAVE
Not good.
Dries my skin, a little. Also causes minor irritation.

- AVAILABILITY
Good.

- NOTES
Great price, lots of product. Unfortunately, another vegan soap that does not agree with my skin. For a simple vegan soap I much prefer Canada Shaving Soap.

SOUTHERN WITCHCRAFTS
INCORPOREAL

- SMELL
Mild scent, not soapy, not unpleasant. I think odd smells are a signature feature of SW? This is not odd.

- CONSISTENCY
A little soft. Firms up fine after letting it air for a few days.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.

- SHAVE
Great.

- POST SHAVE
Great.
Not overly moisturizing, which I like. Does not dry out my skin.
No lingering smell.

- AVAILABILITY
Good.

- NOTES
This is a good soap at a really good price.
It is almost a super fatted soap.
I will not buy again. I know this is a pretty "square" attitude to have, but I have a hard time reconciling the whole demonistic, supernatural, witchcraft theme with my conscience. I imagine it is probably a tongue in cheek marketing strategy, but still...

WET SHAVING PRODUCTS
AU NATUREL
RUSTIC

- SMELL
None.

- CONSISTENCY
Firm.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.

- SHAVE
Very good.
No complaints.

- POST SHAVE
Not good.
I found it dried my skin a little. I also seem to get a slight amount of irritation.

- AVAILABILITY
Poor.
Maker only.

- NOTES
This is another soap that does not agree with my skin. That may be just me. That and the availability issue kind of kill it for me. If you want a simple vegan soap, try Canada Shaving Soap.

TALLOW SOAPS

ARIANA AND EVANS
THE RECIPE
KAIZEN 2e

- SMELL
Slight smell straight out of the tub. Not quite gamey, not soapy, not offensive. Barely noticeable after airing for a few days.

- CONSISTENCY
Pretty soft. Needs the better part of a week to firm up.

- LATHER
Holy cow! THICK lather! Very thirsty, which is not unusual. However, it holds a ton of water, getting very well hydrated and slick without breaking down.
No smell increase with lather.

- SHAVE
Ultra luxurious. Slick, THICK, and protective.
Absolutely top notch.
Razor rinses in cold water, warm is better. This is unexpected given how rich it is.

- POST SHAVE
Superb. Skin is soft and moist without feeling greasy.

- AVAILABILITY
Poor.
Not even available through the maker. Only through "The Club."

- NOTES
This is really, really good soap. It is right at the edge of too much, without stepping over. I like it a lot.

COOPER AND FRENCH
UNSCENTED
WITH GOAT MILK

- SMELL
Goat and soap.
Does not dissipate with airing.

- CONSISTENCY
A little soft.
Benefits from a few days airing out.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.
Soapy goat smell continues to bloom with lathering

- SHAVE
Very good.
No complaints as far as shaving goes.
Razor rinses in warm water.

- POST SHAVE
Very good.
Lightly moisturizing.
Leaves a lingering but mild soapy goat smell.

- AVAILABILITY
Fair.

- NOTES
You know how you always get a little soap on your lips and thus in your mouth? Well, this tastes strongly of goat. Goat and soap, in my mouth, all day.
Bare in mind. I like goats. We raised goats growing up. We drank Goat milk growing up. Goat may be my favorite meat.
I DO NOT want to taste soapy goat all day!

DECLARATION GROOMING
UNSCENTED
MILKSTEAK

- SMELL
Gamey.
Mellows very little with airing.

- CONSISTENCY
Gloppy!
Gave it over a week to dry, still tacky.

- LATHER
Really soft, easy to pick up too much soap while loading.
Takes more work than others to keep it hydrated for each pass. Not a hardship, just notable.
Pretty easy to lather.
Gamey smell continues to bloom with lathering.

- SHAVE
Extra excellent! Decadent even!
Slick, THICK, and protective.
Razor needs warm water to rinse.

- POST SHAVE
Excellent. Luxurious.
Mild lingering gamey smell.

- AVAILABILITY
Good.

- NOTES
This is a really great soap. I think most people will really like it.
I do not prefer the smell or the gooey texture.
It does give a "dialed to 11" shave, but it is a little too over the top for me.

MCDUFF'S
ASPEN PARKLAND

- SMELL
Slight pleasant smell. Not gamey, not soapy, not particularly botanical, maybe almost a hint of licorice? Dissipates a little with airing.

- CONSISTENCY
Gloppy. Still gloppy after a week of airing.

- LATHER
So soft, anymore than 20 seconds of load time and it basically makes soap paste on your face.
Very thirsty.
Overall pretty easy to lather.
Smell does not particularly intensify with lathering.

- SHAVE

- POST SHAVE
Excellent. Luxurious.
No lingering smell.

- AVAILABILITY
Good.

- NOTES
This is a really, really great soap. It is just a little over the top for me. A little too soft and leaves my skin a little too moisturized... soft... conditioned?

STIRLING
UNSCENTED
WITH BEESWAX

- SMELL
Little to none.

- CONSISTENCY
A little soft. Usable straight from the tub. Benefits from a little airing.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.

- SHAVE
Great.

- POST SHAVE
Great.
Lightly moisturizing.
No lingering smell.

- Availability
Great.

- NOTES
This is a solid choice. Low price and a lot of product. It is not good because it is cheap. It is good and happens to be cheap.
Stirling offers a few different unscented varieties. That is pretty cool.
It is a great soap.
I really like it.

ZINGARI MAN
UNSCENTED
SEGO

- SMELL
Little to none.

- CONSISTENCY
Not overly soft out of the tub. Still benefits from a couple days airing.

- LATHER
Easy. Benefits from an extra 15 seconds load time. Otherwise it gets a little thin on the third pass. Not a problem, just notable.

- SHAVE
Tazor can rinse in cold water, warm is better.

- POST SHAVE
Excellent.
Moisturizing without feeling greasy.
No initial smell so no lingering smell.

- AVAILABILITY
Good.

- NOTES
This is an excellent soap. I like it a lot.
It is really well balanced. Feels clean and light (not thin).

RANKING

#1+
Canada Shaving

#1V
PAA
Scentsless
CK6

#1T
Ariana and Evans
The Recipe
Kaizen 2e

Ariana and Evans
Skin Essentials
Unscented Shaving Butter

Stirling
Unscented
Beeswax

Zingari Man
Unscented
Sego

Mcduff's
Aspen Parkland

Declaration Grooming
Unscented
Milksteak

Southern Witchcrafts
Incorporeal

Cooper and French
L.A. Shaving

Black Void

Soap Commander
Integrity

Wet Shaving Products
Au Naturel
Rustic

MUSINGS

Based on my very limited experience...

○ The Razor Company has a lot of great soaps, including some exclusives. I also sourced some through Maggards. The last few were maker direct.

○ Regarding the soaps I found a little drying and possibly irritating to my skin. It was a cumulative effect, after a few consecutive days of use. If I took a break with a different soap my skin would "reset" in a day.

○ I am surprised by how pronounced the post shave effect of some these soaps can be. Even after rinsing thoroughly in a warm shower.

○ Stirling and Soap Commander are kind of both sides of the budget priced, tallow vs vegan coin. I very much prefer Stirling. It is a very good soap.

○ I think some will feel that Wholly Kaw Bare Siero is missing. I intentionally skipped trying it due to the cost.

○ There are a few brands I wanted to try, but they do not make unscented versions.
Invariably somebody always says... "I know it is scented, but you should try _______. It has such a mild scent I hardly notice it."
As someone who lives relatively scent free. I notice.

○ I know 13 soaps is not really a comprehensive sampling of everything available. There are quite a few others I wanted to try. I had to draw the line somewhere or I would go bankrupt on soap.
I am not a wealthy man.

○ I put a limit of $5 per ounce (including shipping) on my soaps. I do make an exception for milled/ dried/ aged soaps, they seem to last longer. I will pay more for these.
I did not factor price much beyond this.

○ I am mostly done "trying" soaps. Having been said. I might try MdC, eventually. I would also like to try Mike's Natural Unscented. (If I can ever find it!)
If I get the urge to try new ones?

very nice write up. I think I have tried all of these except for the Canada Shave soap. That one has gotten some rave reviews and knowing myself, I will eventually get it even though I have WAY too many soaps. I like scented soaps, but I also like the idea of an unscented soap and then using whatever aftershave scent I want with it.

very nice write up. I think I have tried all of these except for the Canada Shave soap. That one has gotten some rave reviews and knowing myself, I will eventually get it even though I have WAY too many soaps. I like scented soaps, but I also like the idea of an unscented soap and then using whatever aftershave scent I want with it.
The Canada is good stuff. By most metrics I think it is not as "good" as some of the others on my list. For me at least, it is well balanced. Just enough to be neutral when I am done. Other than my stubble being gone, my face feels... normal? Not dry, not moisturized, just shaved. But, still gives a good slick and cushioned shave.

I do make my own aftershave. It is unique, tailored to me and very mildly scented.
I do not think I could ever find a soap that would not clash or frankly overpower it. PAA Solstice is kind of in the same vein but way to strong for me.

Slick and cushioned is exactly what I want out of my soaps, nothing more. My skin is on the oily side, so I do not like soaps that give extended "post shave" feel. Those just make me feel like a walking oil slick. I think that's why the old school soaps (Arko, Tabac) work so well for me. They create a thick, slick, low density lather for me with no lasting greasy feel.

I hear you on the "walking oil slick" thing. That is me.
Now that I am rounding the corner on 50, I also have to be careful of drying my skin out.
I do like the occasional luxurious shave, but for day to day the Canada works nicely.
Zingari Man is pretty good at striking this balance.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Canada Shaving Soap has become my standard against which I measure any new soap. I'm quite content with the unscented soaps I have in my small arsenal. I do see Mike's popping up in the photos here quite often so I would consider getting some, perhaps.

I've used CSS for probably 70%+ of my shaves over the past year and a half. For me, it's wonderful. I do consider the Grooming Department "Pura", currently out of stock, to be its equal. I don't have what I consider a large number of unscented soaps but I might as well list them here... see if the people reading this thread have them and like or dislike them

1. Canada Shaving Soap ++++
2. GB Pura +++
3. PAA Scentless CK-6 +
4. Captain's Choice Unscented ++
5. Mystic Water Sensitive Skin +
6. Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal +++
7. Stirling Unscented with Beeswax +++

Of those 7, Canada Shaving Soap is still the top performer but all the rest of them are excellent.

I still have a couple lightly scented soaps I still use... and love:

1. Acca Kappa Barbershop
2. Baume.be Cream

I passed along a few scented soaps. I was sad to see them go because I had spent a lot of time selecting them.... but they are at an excellent home now... being enjoyed, rather than sitting around at our place gathering dust because my face won't allow their use.

Canada Shaving Soap has become my standard against which I measure any new soap. I'm quite content with the unscented soaps I have in my small arsenal. I do see Mike's popping up in the photos here quite often so I would consider getting some, perhaps.

I've used CSS for probably 70%+ of my shaves over the past year and a half. For me, it's wonderful. I do consider the Grooming Department "Pura", currently out of stock, to be its equal. I don't have what I consider a large number of unscented soaps but I might as well list them here... see if the people reading this thread have them and like or dislike them

1. Canada Shaving Soap ++++
2. GB Pura +++
3. PAA Scentless CK-6 +
4. Captain's Choice Unscented ++
5. Mystic Water Sensitive Skin +
6. Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal +++
7. Stirling Unscented with Beeswax +++

Of those 7, Canada Shaving Soap is still the top performer but all the rest of them are excellent.

I still have a couple lightly scented soaps I still use... and love:

1. Acca Kappa Barbershop
2. Baume.be Cream

I passed along a few scented soaps. I was sad to see them go because I had spent a lot of time selecting them.... but they are at an excellent home now... being enjoyed, rather than sitting around at our place gathering dust because my face won't allow their use.
Funny thing about Mike's is he is only maybe 10 or 15 miles from me.
Still hard to get.

Just a thought. Not sure how much it would cost shipped to the USA, but Løthur Nude from the UK is the ultimate scent-free soap for me!
Lothur very nearly made it into my selection. The Razor Company carries it for a decent price.
I meant to limit my sampling to 12. Somehow wound up with 13? I had to draw the line somewhere.

I am not trying anymore soaps.

Maybe going to make up some samples for a couple friends.

Then give all but my top 3 to my son with my first brush (PAA Doppler, now unused). Along with a gen 1 Henson AL13 and some blade samples.

Last edited:
So I tried a couple-few unscented soaps.
Why unscented? I am not allergic to any scents that I am aware of. I just feel we live in a society that is overly saturated in scents, mainly artificial. What is the matter with just smelling like...a person?

TOOLS & TECHNIQUE

• AP Shave Co. Custom with 24mm G5C fan knot. (I love this knot!)

• Stainless Katori bowls.
(Katori bowls are small 3.5 inch diameter bowls used to hold small Indian side dishes and or condiments. I use them because we have virtually no counter space and soap tubs do not fit in the medicine cabinet above the sink. These Katori bowls fit in the cabinet.)
I have 2, one with a soap I am testing and one with a known soap I like, as a baseline for comparison. I put a well rounded teaspoon of soap in the Katori bowl. This usually gets me a few weeks, give or take, of daily shaving per sample.

• If necessary I let the new soap "air" and dry in the Katori bowl for about a week before I start using. I do this because I do not like really soft soap. I find the brush picks up whole bits of soap globs. I feel the soap lasts longer if a little firmer.

• I load from the Katori bowl for 30 seconds with each soap to keep things even. To some it may seem like a lot of loading time? This actually works pretty well. The very small bowl does not allow for a lot of brush movement. Usually enough for a generous 3 pass shave and the option of squeezing out a 4th on the neck.

• I face lather.

IDIOSYNCRASIES
I have a few peculiarities that factor into my opinions on these soaps:

• I shower after I shave. This greatly skews my post shave impressions. I miss out on some of the post shave moisturizing, but I also avoid some post shave drying. I do not "wash" my face in the shower. Just thoroughly rinse.

• I am a cold water shaver. This only factors in whether I need to refill the sink with hot water to rinse my razor. Not a significant variable regarding my satisfaction with soaps, but does come up in my reviews.

• I do not prefer soft, gloppy soaps. Again, not a significant factor, but it is noted.

• I do not care for lotion or moisturizers in general. Soaps with a excessively pronounced post shave moisturizing effect are slightly less desirable to me (Still way better than drying soaps!). I will not generally list this as a bad thing. I know many prefer the moisturizing post shave soaps.

• My beard is pretty thick and pretty coarse, but not to an extreme degree.

• My skin is not particularly sensitive. I would say average.

FORMAT

- SMELL
I know, these are unscented, but most everything has an odor.

- CONSISTENCY
Is it gloppy, is it firm, will it firm up in a reasonable amount of time?

- LATHER
These are all pretty easy to work with. Some are more "thirsty" than others.

- SHAVE
Is it good shave, a great shave?

- POST SHAVE
Does it dry the face, moisturize, or is it neutral? Does the smell linger?

- AVAILABILITY
This matters. Unscented soaps are generally not as available as their scented brethren.
Can I only get it from the maker? That can make it hard to combine items for free shipping.

- NOTES
On my thoughts and opinions. Pros and cons.

RANKING

#1 = Excellent. Highly recommend. Due to subtleties that may only matter to me, these are MY favorites. This category will have three subgroups:
#1+ = FAVORITE OVERALL
#1V = FAVORITE VEGAN
#1T = FAVORITE TALLOW

#2 = Excellent. Highly recommend. I could put these in the corresponding #1 spots and be perfectly happy. It really is splitting hairs between #1 & #2.

#3 = Excellent. Highly recommend. Due to subtleties that may only matter to me, they are not MY preference.

#4 = Not saying they are bad. They just do not work for me.

VEGAN SOAPS

ARIANA AND EVANS
SKIN ESSENTIALS
UNSCENTED SHAVING BUTTER

- SMELL
There is little to no smell.

- CONSISTENCY
Very soft right out of the tub. Still a bit soft after letting it air for a few days.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.

- SHAVE
Excellent.

- POST SHAVE
Excellent.
No lingering smell.

- AVAILABILITY
Very good.

- NOTES
This is a super fatted vegan soap... butter... thing. I like it quite a lot.
I cannot really quantify why I like PAA Scentsless better. Maybe it is that the container reminds me of a cosmetics jar? Does it subconsciously threaten my masculinity?!?
The A&E Butter is an excellent "fatty" vegan soap.

CANADA SHAVING SOAP

- SMELL
None.

- CONSISTENCY
Hard!
It is aged and lasts a long, long time.
It is difficult to scrape some off with a spoon. It is difficult to compact it into my Katori bowl. A minor con, but noteworthy.

- LATHER
Easier than the others. 20 seconds load time gives 3 generous passes. Hate to repeat the cliche, but... "explodes" into a lather.

- SHAVE
Excellent!
Slick, thick, and protective. Luxurious.
Feels clean and light (not thin).
Razor rinses with cold water.

- POST SHAVE
Perfection!
Leaves my skin neutral. Neither moisturized nor dry. To me that is perfect. Having no smell to begin with, there is no smell to linger.

- AVAILABILITY
Really poor.
With shipping factored in, it is prohibitively expensive to buy directly from the maker.
As far as I know, none of the common shaving sites carry it. I wish they would.
You can get it from "the jungle website" at about $32 for a 6oz tub. However, it is not always in stock. It is a buy it when you find it, not when you need it, proposition.

- NOTES
I LOVE THIS!
The ingredient list is short and simple. With no extra butters or oils, I have to think it is the added glycerin that makes the difference?
This is my "Desert Island" soap.

L.A. SHAVING
BLACK VOID

- SMELL
None.

- Consistency.
Only a little soft out of the tub. Still benefits from a little airing.

- LATHER.
Seems easy? I cannot get this soap dialed? More water... less water...?

- SHAVE
Not good.
Makes the razor skip and skid across my face. Like a clean finger over a thoroughly degreased plate of glass.
I tried and tried to get it to work. No joy.

- POST SHAVE
Middling.
Minor drying, no irritation.

- Availability.
Fair.

- NOTES
I am sure it is just me. I could not get it to work.
This is the only soap I tried with either clay or charcoal. Maybe one of these is what ruins it for me?

PHOENIX ARTISAN ACCOUTERMENTS
SCENTSLESS
CK-6

- SMELL
It has a noticeable, but mild plant oil and plant butter smell that mellows after it has aired out. I have come to find its smell familiar and pleasing.

- CONSISTENCY
It is a little too soft right out of the tub. Firms up fine after letting it air for a few days.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.

- SHAVE
Excellent.
Slick, thick, and protective. Ultra luxurious.

- POST SHAVE
Excellent.
No lingering odor.

- AVAILABILITY
Poor.
Maker only.

- NOTES
I like this soap, a lot. My favorite of the two super fatted vegan soaps I tried. I think it is comparable to the fatty tallow soaps.

SOAP COMMANDER
INTEGRITY

- SMELL
Smells like soap.

- CONSISTENCY
Not overly soft out of the tub. Still benefits from a little airing.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.

- SHAVE
Very good.
No complaints.

- POST SHAVE
Not good.
Dries my skin, a little. Also causes minor irritation.

- AVAILABILITY
Good.

- NOTES
Great price, lots of product. Unfortunately, another vegan soap that does not agree with my skin. For a simple vegan soap I much prefer Canada Shaving Soap.

SOUTHERN WITCHCRAFTS
INCORPOREAL

- SMELL
Mild scent, not soapy, not unpleasant. I think odd smells are a signature feature of SW? This is not odd.

- CONSISTENCY
A little soft. Firms up fine after letting it air for a few days.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.

- SHAVE
Great.

- POST SHAVE
Great.
Not overly moisturizing, which I like. Does not dry out my skin.
No lingering smell.

- AVAILABILITY
Good.

- NOTES
This is a good soap at a really good price.
It is almost a super fatted soap.
I will not buy again. I know this is a pretty "square" attitude to have, but I have a hard time reconciling the whole demonistic, supernatural, witchcraft theme with my conscience. I imagine it is probably a tongue in cheek marketing strategy, but still...

WET SHAVING PRODUCTS
AU NATUREL
RUSTIC

- SMELL
None.

- CONSISTENCY
Firm.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.

- SHAVE
Very good.
No complaints.

- POST SHAVE
Not good.
I found it dried my skin a little. I also seem to get a slight amount of irritation.

- AVAILABILITY
Poor.
Maker only.

- NOTES
This is another soap that does not agree with my skin. That may be just me. That and the availability issue kind of kill it for me. If you want a simple vegan soap, try Canada Shaving Soap.

TALLOW SOAPS

ARIANA AND EVANS
THE RECIPE
KAIZEN 2e

- SMELL
Slight smell straight out of the tub. Not quite gamey, not soapy, not offensive. Barely noticeable after airing for a few days.

- CONSISTENCY
Pretty soft. Needs the better part of a week to firm up.

- LATHER
Holy cow! THICK lather! Very thirsty, which is not unusual. However, it holds a ton of water, getting very well hydrated and slick without breaking down.
No smell increase with lather.

- SHAVE
Ultra luxurious. Slick, THICK, and protective.
Absolutely top notch.
Razor rinses in cold water, warm is better. This is unexpected given how rich it is.

- POST SHAVE
Superb. Skin is soft and moist without feeling greasy.

- AVAILABILITY
Poor.
Not even available through the maker. Only through "The Club."

- NOTES
This is really, really good soap. It is right at the edge of too much, without stepping over. I like it a lot.

COOPER AND FRENCH
UNSCENTED
WITH GOAT MILK

- SMELL
Goat and soap.
Does not dissipate with airing.

- CONSISTENCY
A little soft.
Benefits from a few days airing out.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.
Soapy goat smell continues to bloom with lathering

- SHAVE
Very good.
No complaints as far as shaving goes.

- POST SHAVE
Very good.
Lightly moisturizing.
Leaves a lingering but mild soapy goat smell.

- AVAILABILITY
Fair.

- NOTES
You know how you always get a little soap on your lips and thus in your mouth? Well, this tastes strongly of goat. Goat and soap, in my mouth, all day.
Bare in mind. I like goats. We raised goats growing up. We drank Goat milk growing up. Goat may be my favorite meat.
I DO NOT want to taste soapy goat all day!

DECLARATION GROOMING
UNSCENTED
MILKSTEAK

- SMELL
Gamey.
Mellows very little with airing.

- CONSISTENCY
Gloppy!
Gave it over a week to dry, still tacky.

- LATHER
Really soft, easy to pick up too much soap while loading.
Takes more work than others to keep it hydrated for each pass. Not a hardship, just notable.
Pretty easy to lather.
Gamey smell continues to bloom with lathering.

- SHAVE
Razor needs warm water to rinse.

- POST SHAVE
Excellent. Luxurious.
Mild lingering gamey smell.

- AVAILABILITY
Good.

- NOTES
This is a really great soap. I think most people will really like it.
I do not prefer the smell or the gooey texture.
It does give a "dialed to 11" shave, but it is a little too over the top for me.

MCDUFF'S
ASPEN PARKLAND

- SMELL
Slight pleasant smell. Not gamey, not soapy, not particularly botanical, maybe almost a hint of licorice? Dissipates a little with airing.

- CONSISTENCY
Gloppy. Still gloppy after a week of airing.

- LATHER
So soft, anymore than 20 seconds of load time and it basically makes soap paste on your face.
Very thirsty.
Overall pretty easy to lather.
Smell does not particularly intensify with lathering.

- SHAVE

- POST SHAVE
Excellent. Luxurious.
No lingering smell.

- AVAILABILITY
Good.

- NOTES
This is a really, really great soap. It is just a little over the top for me. A little too soft and leaves my skin a little too moisturized... soft... conditioned?

STIRLING
UNSCENTED
WITH BEESWAX

- SMELL
Little to none.

- CONSISTENCY
A little soft. Usable straight from the tub. Benefits from a little airing.

- LATHER
Easy, not much to say.

- SHAVE
Great.

- POST SHAVE
Great.
Lightly moisturizing.
No lingering smell.

- Availability
Great.

- NOTES
This is a solid choice. Low price and a lot of product. It is not good because it is cheap. It is good and happens to be cheap.
Stirling offers a few different unscented varieties. That is pretty cool.
It is a great soap.
I really like it.

ZINGARI MAN
UNSCENTED
SEGO

- SMELL
Little to none.

- CONSISTENCY
Not overly soft out of the tub. Still benefits from a couple days airing.

- LATHER
Easy. Benefits from an extra 15 seconds load time. Otherwise it gets a little thin on the third pass. Not a problem, just notable.

- SHAVE
Tazor can rinse in cold water, warm is better.

- POST SHAVE
Excellent.
Moisturizing without feeling greasy.
No initial smell so no lingering smell.

- AVAILABILITY
Good.

- NOTES
This is an excellent soap. I like it a lot.
It is really well balanced. Feels clean and light (not thin).

RANKING

#1+
Canada Shaving

#1V
PAA
Scentsless
CK6

#1T
Ariana and Evans
The Recipe
Kaizen 2e

Ariana and Evans
Skin Essentials
Unscented Shaving Butter

Stirling
Unscented
Beeswax

Zingari Man
Unscented
Sego

Mcduff's
Aspen Parkland

Declaration Grooming
Unscented
Milksteak

Southern Witchcrafts
Incorporeal

Cooper and French
L.A. Shaving

Black Void

Soap Commander
Integrity

Wet Shaving Products
Au Naturel
Rustic

MUSINGS

Based on my very limited experience...

○ The Razor Company has a lot of great soaps, including some exclusives. I also sourced some through Maggards. The last few were maker direct.

○ Regarding the soaps I found a little drying and possibly irritating to my skin. It was a cumulative effect, after a few consecutive days of use. If I took a break with a different soap my skin would "reset" in a day.

○ I am surprised by how pronounced the post shave effect of some these soaps can be. Even after rinsing thoroughly in a warm shower.

○ Stirling and Soap Commander are kind of both sides of the budget priced, tallow vs vegan coin. I very much prefer Stirling. It is a very good soap.

○ I think some will feel that Wholly Kaw Bare Siero is missing. I intentionally skipped trying it due to the cost.

○ There are a few brands I wanted to try, but they do not make unscented versions.
Invariably somebody always says... "I know it is scented, but you should try _______. It has such a mild scent I hardly notice it."
As someone who lives relatively scent free. I notice.

○ I know 13 soaps is not really a comprehensive sampling of everything available. There are quite a few others I wanted to try. I had to draw the line somewhere or I would go bankrupt on soap.
I am not a wealthy man.

○ I put a limit of $5 per ounce (including shipping) on my soaps. I do make an exception for milled/ dried/ aged soaps, they seem to last longer. I will pay more for these.
I did not factor price much beyond this.

○ I am mostly done "trying" soaps. Having been said. I might try MdC, eventually. I would also like to try Mike's Natural Unscented. (If I can ever find it!)
If I get the urge to try new ones?

Wow! Amazing detailed journal!
FWIW, I love my various soap and cologne scents!
And, IMHO, today's world is not at all 'over-scented', especially compared with the smells decades and centuries ago!''
But, admittedly, I'm not a scent-historian!
That would be an interesting deep-dive!!

penhaligon stack 2.jpg

Wow! Amazing detailed journal!
FWIW, I love my various soap and cologne scents!
And, IMHO, today's world is not at all 'over-scented', especially compared with the smells decades and centuries ago!''
But, admittedly, I'm not a scent-historian!
That would be an interesting deep-dive!!

View attachment 1673646
I do not begrudge anyone their preferences.
I do use a very mild aftershave. It has a scent. A very mild scent. Like kissing distance scent.
I was raised by dirty hippies. I am predisposed towards the natural human odor. It did take a few decades of adulthood to not have flashbacks at the smell of patchouli though!

I cannot stand those aerosolized artificial deodorized room sprays or those plug in monstrosities.

I also find the supersaturated use of conventional perfumes and colognes to be nauseating.
"That's a lovely scent you are wearing. Must you bathe in it?"

I do not begrudge anyone their preferences.
I do use a very mild aftershave. It has a scent. A very mild scent. Like kissing distance scent.
I was raised by dirty hippies. I am predisposed towards the natural human odor. It did take a few decades of adulthood to not have flashbacks at the smell of patchouli though!

I cannot stand those aerosolized artificial deodorized room sprays or those plug in monstrosities.

I also find the supersaturated use of conventional perfumes and colognes to be nauseating.
"That's a lovely scent you are wearing. Must you bathe in it?"

Sir hariph creek, you're just a youngster!!

Canada is my #1 not only for unscented but for soaps in general. The only soap I own that can touch it is Martin de Candre Nature at significantly more cost.

BTW, my standard for an absolutely zero-scent experience is LASSC Black Void. I believe the addition of charcoal to the product is the reason why it smells like nothing at all. As you mention, it is not a top tier soap. However, I've had very good shaves with it despite that.

For me, the trick to a good BV lather is using a much wetter brush to load as using a drier brush doesn't pick up enough soap to do anything truly useful. Then, it's just adding drops of water to the bowl until I'm satisfied.

Canada is my #1 not only for unscented but for soaps in general. The only soap I own that can touch it is Martin de Candre Nature at significantly more cost.

BTW, my standard for an absolutely zero-scent experience is LASSC Black Void. I believe the addition of charcoal to the product is the reason why it smells like nothing at all. As you mention, it is not a top tier soap. However, I've had very good shaves with it despite that.

For me, the trick to a good BV lather is using a much wetter brush to load as using a drier brush doesn't pick up enough soap to do anything truly useful. Then, it's just adding drops of water to the bowl until I'm satisfied.
Canada and MdC seem to have a similar ingredients list. That is why I might try MdC. As you say the Canada is much cheaper ounce for ounce. MdC would have to be quite the sale.

Black Void is quite without scent.
I face lather, that maybe complicated hydrating the lather sufficiently? It is one of only two soaps that I gave up on before my sample was gone. After a couple weeks of bad shaves, no love. I think I put in my notes that I thought it was my fault? I stand by that.

As far as "top teir?" I am coming to feel that some soaps might be The Fresh New Super Fatty Hotness. But, that does not really mean "better." Stirling is maybe a "budget" soap? It is an excellent soap. If I had to only have one soap, I would choose Stirling over some of The Fatty Darlings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom