What's new

So I tried a couple-few unscented soaps...

Impressive review and write up of unscented soaps! I look forward to your update of Mike's Unscented once you get it.
Thanks for the great write up. Ariana & Evans K2e base is definitely a top tier performer. The Stirling Unscented Beeswax is a huge surprise for me. Most of Stirling soaps are just okay with a straight razor. However, this tallow + beeswax makes huge amounts of creamy lather and is slicker than snot on a vaseline pole. It leaves my face feeling nice and hydrated. The only smell is a bit of beeswax smell, which is nice.
Now that's slick!!!!

marty

Terrific reviews! Thanks for the effort you put into all that.

As I love the scent of a good aftershave, even the classic drugstore aftershaves, I realized that scented soap, for me, was wasted money. I have a few matched artisan soap/AS sets that I purchased early on, but much prefer the affordability of the cheaper non-scented soaps. I had settled on Williams, until they stopped making it. I really regret not stocking up. My fall back soap is Arko. Many people don't like the scent of this soap, but that dissipates as it ages. All that being said, IF you ever decide to try more unscented soaps, give Arko a try. It mostly comes in stick form for face lathering, but is available in small tubs as well.

Excellent review -- evenhanded, forthright and informative. Been a big fan of A&E The Recipe and with one or two others you reviewed my experience has been similar (like Dec Grooming). So, I've now ordered Canada Shave and the Stirling Beeswax. Will try to remember to report back her on my experiences.

YES! Please do.
Excellent review -- evenhanded, forthright and informative. Been a big fan of A&E The Recipe and with one or two others you reviewed my experience has been similar (like Dec Grooming). So, I've now ordered Canada Shave and the Stirling Beeswax. Will try to remember to report back her on my experiences.
YES! Please do. I/we would love to hear your impressions.
Zingari Man is great too. All the luxury of a super fatties, without smell or a greasy feel.

Last edited:
Terrific reviews! Thanks for the effort you put into all that.

As I love the scent of a good aftershave, even the classic drugstore aftershaves, I realized that scented soap, for me, was wasted money. I have a few matched artisan soap/AS sets that I purchased early on, but much prefer the affordability of the cheaper non-scented soaps. I had settled on Williams, until they stopped making it. I really regret not stocking up. My fall back soap is Arko. Many people don't like the scent of this soap, but that dissipates as it ages. All that being said, IF you ever decide to try more unscented soaps, give Arko a try. It mostly comes in stick form for face lathering, but is available in small tubs as well.
While I have not tried Arko. I will not be trying it. I have read enough commentary on how some do not like the smell or how strong it is.
I posted the following in another thread discussing Arko...

"As someone who lives a low scent life. I find I am more attuned to smells than a lot of people. I think maybe those who use many and heavily scented items in their lives, become rather "nose blind" to the subtleties of scent. It is like a smoker who cannot taste food well.
I do not use scented soaps, detergents, cleaners, deodorant (or any deodorant), dryer sheets, sprays, lotions, etc... When walking through a store I find other peoples perfumes, body sprays, even laundry detergent and dryer sheets are like a punch in the nose.
While I have not tried Arko. I do find what most people call "lightly scented" to be blaringly loud with smell.
I do not begrudge anyone their scents. I wonder if they are missing out on nuances of their environment due to the no(i)se pollution of our overly fragranced society."

BONUS SOAP!

Mike's Natural
Unscented

- SCENT
Mild soap and "ingredients" smell. Not pleasant, not offensive, just there. Kind of reminds me of... paraffin wax?
Mellows very little with airing. Smell does not particularity bloom with lather.
Before trying any shave soaps, this is about what I had imagined unscented tallow soap to smell like.

- CONSISTENCY
Very firm, almost hard. Good to go right out of the tub.

- LATHER
OK, a little thirsty. Kind of a fine line between too thick and too watery. I have to work to get the hydration just right. It takes numerous incremental additions.Too little water and it has that "squeaky clean" no glide. Too much water and it breaks down with no cushion. It breaks down pretty easy.

- SHAVE
Good to very good, depending on hydration.
Razor rinses in cold water, warm water rinses better.

- POST SHAVE
Very mild lingering smell. Leaves my skin a little softer than I care for.

-AVAILABILITY
OK. Often only to be obtainable from maker and often out of stock.
Hard to find IN STOCK with the vendors.

- NOTES
Initially I was not real impressed. It has grown on me over the last few weeks.
Do not get me wrong this is a good soap. I do not love it, though.
The hydration "tight rope" does not win me over. I do think the hydration issue is a "ME" problem.
The smell is also not my favorite.
It seems silly to sit here whining about the shortcomings of what is actually a great soap. It is just that there are other soaps that I like so much better. It is an embarrassment of riches.

- RANKING
It is an excellent soap and I highly recommend trying it. Due to subtleties that may only matter to me, I will not buy it again.

Canada and MdC seem to have a similar ingredients list. That is why I might try MdC. As you say the Canada is much cheaper ounce for ounce. MdC would have to be quite the sale.

Black Void is quite without scent.
I face lather, that maybe complicated hydrating the lather sufficiently? It is one of only two soaps that I gave up on before my sample was gone. After a couple weeks of bad shaves, no love. I think I put in my notes that I thought it was my fault? I stand by that.

As far as "top teir?" I am coming to feel that some soaps might be The Fresh New Super Fatty Hotness. But, that does not really mean "better." Stirling is maybe a "budget" soap? It is an excellent soap. If I had to only have one soap, I would choose Stirling over some of The Fatty Darlings.
Certainly MdC is not a cheap soap, but compared to Canada they are surprisingly close in price. I paid $41.00 + $14.49 shipping to Michigan for Canada. I calculate that to $8.99 per oz. The Razor Company shows MdC Natural at $68.77 including freight. That comes to $9.75 per oz. I wouldn’t say $.76 per ounce difference is ”much” cheaper Canada vs MdC.

All that being said these are two very fine soaps.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Certainly MdC is not a cheap soap, but compared to Canada they are surprisingly close in price. I paid $41.00 + $14.49 shipping to Michigan for Canada. I calculate that to $8.99 per oz. The Razor Company shows MdC Natural at $68.77 including freight. That comes to $9.75 per oz. I wouldn’t say $.76 per ounce difference is ”much” cheaper Canada vs MdC.

If you have Amazon Prime....it ships for free... I've been paying $32 with free shipping from Amazon. I'm about half way through my first one and have two others waiting in the wings. It seems to come in and out of stock, like many soaps.

I sourced my tub of Canada from that jungle website for just under $33 with free shipping.
I am not saying MdC is too expensive. My $5 per ounce maximum does not necessarily apply to dried or aged soaps. They tend to last longer.

If you have Amazon Prime....it ships for free... I've been paying $32 with free shipping from Amazon. I'm about half way through my first one and have two others waiting in the wings. It seems to come in and out of stock, like many soaps.

Agreed, not always in stock there. If you want it? Buy it when you see it, not when you need it.

I have 3 unscented soaps. Shannon Soaps nil, Sudsy soapery
Stirling Sheep
Of the three I like Shannon's tha best with Stirling close behind. Both are tallow soaps.
Sudsy soapery is non tallow soap that works well and is easy to lather.
I actually like all three.
While the may not be as many unscented soaps as there are scented. There are a LOT of great unscented soaps. It is nice to pick and choose one (or some) that suit an individuals preferences.

NIL was on my short list.

I have Amazon Prime as well, and I had checked a number of times before ordering it direct from the make in Canada. Each time I looked it was out of stock as it is now when I just look. Guess I’m just unlucky or the maker releases very little to Amazon which reduces his margin greatly.

Interesting thread, even though the entire premise is lost on me, as I really enjoy the scent of a rather when I shave, and so can't imagine buying an unscented soap.

I agree that room fragrance plug-ins and sprays are generally awful, and also that many people wear way too much cologne or perfume and wear scents that have way too much silage. I would add candles to the list, as well. There are very few places I enjoy less than a candle store.

For my shave soaps/creams, although like do want them scented, I have a huge preference for simple scents over complex 'cologne-type' scents, and a slight preference for lightly scented over heavily scented soaps/creams. In fact, my only complaint about a cream I bought from Stone Cottage was that the scent was too intense.

But to use an unscented product? No.

Interesting thread, even though the entire premise is lost on me, as I really enjoy the scent of a rather when I shave, and so can't imagine buying an unscented soap.

I agree that room fragrance plug-ins and sprays are generally awful, and also that many people wear way too much cologne or perfume and wear scents that have way too much silage. I would add candles to the list, as well. There are very few places I enjoy less than a candle store.

For my shave soaps/creams, although like do want them scented, I have a huge preference for simple scents over complex 'cologne-type' scents, and a slight preference for lightly scented over heavily scented soaps/creams. In fact, my only complaint about a cream I bought from Stone Cottage was that the scent was too intense.

Well said! I think you make a good distinction regarding types of scents.

I have Amazon Prime as well, and I had checked a number of times before ordering it direct from the make in Canada. Each time I looked it was out of stock as it is now when I just look. Guess I’m just unlucky or the maker releases very little to Amazon which reduces his margin greatly.
It is all too often out of stock.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I wish I could use scented soaps. My skin reacts to it... sometimes, violently. One great soap maker's soup caused such a reaction, I couldn't shave for three weeks. That sent me to the dermatologist who told me: some people's skin reacts to the ingredients used to make various scents.

I loved the smell of all the soaps and creams I bought... but I ended up giving them to a person here whose skin is less sensitive. I do think using a scented soap would add something to my shave.. My skin prohibits it.

Top Bottom